You cannot see this page without javascript.

What does it mean to be overworked? Are you a workaholic? Do you easily get worked up over nothing? In this English lesson, I will teach you the following ten expressions with the word work in them: overworked, work someone in, get worked up, workaholic, work out for the best, work on something, dirty work, work it, and the two different meanings of work out. After this video, I hope you work on our quiz to practice these expressions. http://www.engvid.com/10-work-express...

TRANSCRIPT

Hello. My name is Emma, and today we are going to learn some work expressions, okay? So these expressions don't necessarily actually have to do with work, but they're expressions that use the word "work". So today, I will teach you ten new expressions. Let's get started. 

Expression No. 1: "overworked". What does it mean to be "overworked"? If you are "overworked", it means you have too much work, okay? So this is not a happy situation. So you might tell your boss, "Listen. I feel a little overworked." Maybe you complain to your friends on the phone, "Work is so hard. I'm overworked. There's no staff. It's all me. I work, work, work. I'm overworked." So "over" usually means, like, "more". So that's a hint, "overworked". One thing about all of these expressions: Pay careful attention to the preposition because with work expressions, a change in preposition can completely change the meaning of the expression. So that is "overworked". I hope none of you are overworked, and I hope none of you are "underpaid", meaning you're not getting enough money.

Our next expression is "dirty work". I really like this expression. So what is "dirty work"? Well, "dirty" is the opposite of "clean", okay? So "dirty" is "no clean" -- "not clean". "Dirty work" is work that is not fun work. No one wants to do dirty work, okay? So it's unpleasant -- see the sad face? -- work. What is an example of dirty work? Well, maybe you work at a company, and maybe there's a co-worker, or maybe you have some staff, and someone wants you to "fire" that staff, meaning someone is not happy with this person's work, so they want this person to be "fired". Instead of them saying "You can't work here now", they will tell you to fire this person. So it's a job you don't want to do, essentially. There are many examples of "dirty work", but what it really is, is a job no one wants to do. Clean toilets might be dirty work. Maybe your friend is having a party, and there're a lot of people invited, and the party has to be cancelled. Maybe the dirty work is you have to tell everyone the party is cancelled. So it's work you don't want to do. 

Example No. 3: "get worked up". What does it mean to "get worked up"? It means you get very, very angry or very upset. It means you get very emotional. When you get worked up, you get very angry or emotional. So "get worked up". An example of that: Maybe it's the night before your big test, and you haven't studied, and you're very stressed out, and you start to cry, and you say, "I'm not going to pass this test. My life is ruined. I'll never get into a university. Everything's horrible." That's you getting worked up, okay? Because chances are you will do all right on your test, and you will get into university, and even if you don't, you can try again at a later time. 

No. 4: "work out". So "work out" has two meanings. The first meaning is "exercise", okay? Do any of you guys work out? I think working out is fun. So it just means, you know, if you like to run, if you like to lift weights. Maybe you like to play basketball -- these are "workouts"; it's exercise to become healthy. The second meaning of "work out" is when you "work something out", you find a solution to that. So for example, maybe you have a math problem, maybe two times two, two times two: You have to "work it out". That one is a little easy, but maybe you have calculus.

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수 날짜
140 Learn English Vocabulary: Talking about FEAR sorimsadol 432 2015-01-08
139 Learn English - 5 "DOWN" Idioms sorimsadol 402 2015-01-08
138 Common Daily Expressions #3 | English Listening & Speaking Practice sorimsadol 381 2015-01-09
137 Common Expressions #4 (Telephoning) | English Listening & Speaking Practice sorimsadol 527 2015-01-09
136 English Phrasal Verbs in Conversation - Lesson 2 sorimsadol 393 2015-01-09
135 Phrasal Verbs - Quiz sorimsadol 416 2015-01-09
134 Phrasal Verbs - Lesson 10 sorimsadol 363 2015-01-09
133 Phrasal Verbs in English Conversation - Lesson 3 sorimsadol 378 2015-01-08
132 At the Airport | Vocabulary | Check in | Learning English TV 25 with Steve Ford sorimsadol 395 2015-01-08
131 9 TURN Phrasal Verbs: turn on, turn off, turn over, turn around, turn out... chanyi 1089 2014-09-10
130 Cooking Vocabulary in English - chop, grill, saute, boil, slice... chanyi 942 2014-09-10
129 Common Daily Expressions 3 , English Listening and Speaking Practice sohee1004 2616 2014-05-20
128 5 nouns to make you sound smart [1] sohee1004 3348 2014-05-14
127 10 Weather Expressions in English chanyi 1492 2014-05-11
126 How to talk about DEATH in English [3] sohee1004 1178 2014-05-10
125 English Vocabulary - EVEN: even though, even if, even when... chanyi 1011 2014-05-09
» 10 WORK Expressions in English chanyi 609 2014-05-08
123 Common Mistakes: SOON, EARLY, QUICK, FAST chanyi 593 2014-05-08
122 Common Mistakes: SHADE or SHADOW? chanyi 466 2014-05-08
121 Understand English with action suffixes chanyi 458 2014-05-07
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화