You cannot see this page without javascript.

Is playing video games funner or more fun than studying grammar? Not sure when to use '___er' or 'more ____ than' when comparing things? In this lesson we will look at syllables as a way to choose the faster car, the more beautiful painting, or the more clever phrase. Take the quiz on this lesson here: http://www.engvid.com/comparing-funne...

TRANSCRIPT

Hi, again. I'm Adam. Welcome to www.engvid.com. Today's lesson is very common I think - a very popular question. I get asked this all the time by students who are learning English: when to use "-er", when to use "more" when we are comparing things, for example with adjectives. When do I say "better", for example, or "happier" or "more expensive"? How do you know which one to use? Okay? So it's very, very simple, okay? We're going to look at syllables. To use "-er", we use -- sorry. We use "-er" with words that have one or two syllables. We use "more" with words that have two or more syllables. 

Now, before I explain that, what are syllables? "Syllables" are vowel sounds in a word, okay? They're not the number of vowels; they're the number of vowel sounds. But first, what is a "vowel"? Just in case you're not familiar: A, E, I, O, U; these are the vowels in English. Consonants are B, C, D, F, G, and so on. Keep in mind "Y" is a consonant even though it sounds often like a vowel. 

Okay, so back to syllables. So these are the vowel sounds. So for example, the word "cat". How many vowel sounds are in the word "cat"? One: "ah" -- "cat". Keep in mind -- here's another one-syllable word: "leak". Two vowels, one vowel sound, "leak", "eeee", okay? Can you think of a two-syllable word? How do you feel right now? I bet you feel "happy". I'm sure you feel happy because you're watching www.engvid.com, right? "Happy". The two vowel sounds: "ha", "py" -- sorry. My mistake. "Hap", "py", "ah", "eeee", okay? How about a three-vowel sound word? How about three syllables? "Beautiful". Sorry. I'm not having the best day spelling today. "Beau", "ti", "ful". Three syllables. How about four? "Ex", "cep", "tio", "nal" -- "exceptional". Great. Very good. Okay. One more -- five. Very common word: "International". Can you divide them up into the syllables? Try it. "In", "ter", "na", "tio", "nal" -- "international", five syllables. 

So now, here we go back. We see one or two syllables or two or more syllables. So now, you're thinking, "Okay, well if I have a two-syllable word, I still don't know which one to use, right?" Well, here is the answer. One or two syllables: If the word ends in "Y" -- I'll put it here. Sorry about the mess. If the word ends in "Y", use "-er". So "happy" -- if you want to compare two things; who's happier? Me or my friend? Then you drop the "Y"; then you put "ier". "Happier". Okay? If the word -- the two-syllable word -- ends in a consonant, okay, then you use "more". Okay? So "gentle" is technically a two-syllable word, but it ends in a vowel, so "gentler". I'll think of an example of a consonant-ending word. 

Now, there are, of course, exceptions. "Good" does not take "-er" or "more". "Good" becomes "better". "Bad" becomes "worse". "Far" becomes "farther". I'll write this one down. "Far" becomes "farther", so you have the extra addition here. "Much" becomes "more". "Little" becomes "less", okay? Now -- oh, I put it twice. Sorry. Now, "fun" is a one-syllable word, but you will never hear anybody say "funner". Why? Because it sounds like "funnier". So this is an exception. We usually say "more fun". Now here's an example of a two-syllable word that ends in a consonant, so you think "cleverer". Now, some people will say "cleverer", but because of the "r-r" ending, it's a little bit hard to say, so many people will say "more clever". "He is more clever than she is", okay? For example. I still can't think of a word that ends in a consonant. "Feather". No. That's not -- it's a noun; I can't use that. Okay. It'll come to me. I'll put it on the comments on www.engvid.com. And if you want to practice more of these, go to www.engvid.com. There's a quiz there, and you can practice these and come back, and we'll do some more lessons. So don't forget to check out my YouTube page and subscribe. See you then.

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수 날짜
120 Phrasal Verbs - 'shut' chanyi 503 2014-05-07
119 9 Homophones -- Commonly confused words in English chanyi 572 2014-04-23
118 5 great ways to improve your English! chanyi 534 2014-04-23
117 Listening Comprehension for Beginners - 'under the weather' chanyi 513 2014-04-23
116 Idioms and Phrasal Verbs - 'on' chanyi 581 2014-04-21
115 Learn English with DRUNK Justin Bieber? [1] sohee1004 1276 2014-04-20
114 English Slang - Text messaging: LOL WTF BRB and more! chanyi 508 2014-04-17
113 University degrees in North America chanyi 476 2014-04-16
112 10 GET Phrasal Verbs: get down, get off, get through, get up, get away... chanyi 487 2014-04-15
111 English Vocabulary - ABOUT, ABOUT TO, NOT ABOUT TO chanyi 732 2014-03-30
110 5 Phrasal Verbs with HOLD - hold on, hold against, hold in... [1] sohee1004 1567 2014-03-29
109 English Vocabulary - The difference between 'want' and 'need' chanyi 505 2014-03-28
108 English Vocabulary: 12 Internet words chanyi 821 2014-03-08
107 English Vocabulary - afraid, afraid of, scared of, fear chanyi 497 2014-03-08
106 Sports Idioms in English chanyi 809 2014-03-08
» Comparing: funner vs faster or more fun vs more fast? chanyi 798 2014-02-28
104 Confused Words - LIVE and LIVE chanyi 469 2014-02-24
103 Listening Comprehension - Learn English with dirty jokes chanyi 496 2014-02-23
102 English Vocabulary - First name? Given name? Forename? What's your name? chanyi 519 2014-02-23
101 Vocabulary - Beside and Besides chanyi 569 2014-02-23
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화