You cannot see this page without javascript.

Want to sound more like a native speaker? Learn this pronunciation secret! In this lesson, you will discover something very common in North American pronunciation: tapping. Tapping is when we change a /t/ sound to a /d/ sound. For example, in North American English we pronounce the word "water" like "wader". Watch this video to find out when we use tapping and what it sounds like. Finally, we will practice the pronunciation of example words together using tapping.
http://www.engvid.com/sound-like-a-na...

TRANSCRIPT

Hello. My name is Emma, and in today's video, I am going to teach you a little bit about North American pronunciation. I'm going to teach you about something called "tapping". Okay.

So, before I explain what tapping is, I want you to listen to how I pronounce this word. I'm going to pronounce it in three ways, and I want you to tell me: What's the difference in each way I pronounce this? Okay? So the first way I'm going to pronounce it: "thiry", "thiry". Okay? Now, the next way: "thirdy", "thirdy". And finally: "thirty", "thirty". So what was the difference in the three pronunciations? Between "thiry", "thirdy", "thirty"? If you said this, you are correct.

One of the major differences you'll find in different Englishes is the way we pronounce "t". In British English, a lot of the times you actually hear the "t". I'm terrible with British accents, but "thirty", "t", okay? So you can hear it like a "t" sound. In Englishes... Some British Englishes, and sometimes Australian Englishes, they actually get rid of the "t", it's like it doesn't even exist. So you might hear: "thiry". Okay? In North American English, oftentimes, we pronounce t's like d's. So you would hear: "thirdy", okay? So this is one of the main difference between many different Englishes, how we pronounce our t's.

So what's the rule for this? How do we know when to pronounce our t's like d's? Because this is going to focus on the North American pronunciation. Well, I have here a bunch of different words, all have the word... Or all have the letter "t" in them. I want you to listen, and I want you to think about: Where is "t" pronounced like a "d"? Okay? So you're going to listen carefully, and I want you to think about: Which words do I pronounce "t" like a "d"? Okay?

So the first word: "party", "party". Okay? "Party". If you said this is like a "d", you are correct. So we have one here. Next word: "tiny", "tiny", "tiny". No "d" sound. "Water", "water". There is a "d" sound here. So, again, North American pronunciation. British people would probably say something different, like "wa-er" or like "water", okay? Next one: "forty", "forty". Okay. Yeah, we have a "d" sound, here. "Latter", "latter", "latter". Okay, you probably heard a "d" sound. Next one: "bottle", "bottle", "bottle". Probably heard a "d" sound there. The next word that has a "t" in it: "tornado", "tornado". Does it have a "d" sound? I mean where the "t" is. Of course it has this "d" sound, but: "tornado". No, we don't pronounce it like a "d". "City", "city". Yeah, it has a "d" sound. "Tuna", "tuna", no "d" sound; it sounds like a "t". "Bitter", "bitter", "d" sound. "Thanks", "thanks", doesn't even have a "t" sound, actually. It has a "th" sound, which is a little different. And finally: "tall", "tall". No "d" sound either.

So, what do you notice about these words? Is the "t"...? When we pronounce t's as d's in North American English, do we pronounce t's like d's when they're at the beginning of the word or when they're in the middle? You look here. So this one is a yes, it's in the middle, it's in the middle, middle, middle. The beginning, no. Middle; beginning, no; middle; no; no. So we pronounce t's like d's when they're in the middle of a word. Okay?

But we don't do it all the time. When do we do it? When do we say t's like t's, and when do we say t's like d's? That might get a little bit confusing, but I hope you're following. Well, it depends on stress. So, what is stress? "Oh, I have a test tomorrow. I'm stressed." Not that kind of stress. We're talking about stress in pronunciation. When we stress something in pronunciation, we mean we say it louder and longer. So, for example: "party", part of this I'm going to say loud and long, and part of it short. So listen and tell me where the stress is: "party". The stress, if you said it's here, you are correct. "Par" is loud "ty" is shorter. I'll... Let's go to "water" next. "Water", "water". So where is the stress? Stress is here, okay? The first part. "Water". We say this part quieter. Here: "forty", "forty". Where is the stress? What part's louder and longer? If you said "for", you're correct. We say that part louder and longer.

원문출처 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlLsCrME634

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수
» Sound like a Native English Speaker: Tapping sorimsadol 2135
94 Common Business Expressions #1 | Meetings and Discussions sorimsadol 1594
93 Real English - Ordering food on the phone sorimsadol 1400
92 Extreme English! sorimsadol 937
91 How to introduce yourself & other people sorimsadol 1065
90 3 ways to express negative ideas POWERFULLY sorimsadol 961
89 Speaking English - 8 ways to be positive & encourage others sorimsadol 986
88 What are proverbs? 7 common sayings in English sorimsadol 821
87 Speaking English - "I wish I had..." sorimsadol 980
86 How to talk about a topic intelligently sorimsadol 863
85 Speak English: What to call people sorimsadol 853
84 Real English - How to complain about a problem sorimsadol 1019
83 Conversation Skills - How to END a conversation politely sorimsadol 943
82 Talking about men you like sorimsadol 1019
81 Speaking English - How to answer the phone sorimsadol 1152
80 Talking about women you like - SEXY, HOT, SMOKING, CUTE, FREAKY sorimsadol 889
79 Telephone English: How to take or give a message sorimsadol 947
78 Conversation Skills - How to STEAL a conversation sorimsadol 999
77 Learn English: How to talk like the boss sorimsadol 914
76 Common Daily Expressions #2 | English Listening & Speaking Practice sorimsadol 994
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화