You cannot see this page without javascript.

Do you know how to use commas? In this lesson, you'll learn simple rules for using commas with coordinating conjunctions. Coordinating conjunctions connect two ideas or clauses in a sentence. We'll look at the most common conjunctions: 'for', 'and', 'nor', 'but', 'or', 'yet', and 'so'. Knowing how to place commas in your sentences will help you to write better, and will make your writing easier to read. This grammar lesson is essential for anyone who wants to improve their English writing. It is especially important for university writing, or if you're taking IELTS or TOEFL. So join me in this fun lesson, and learn to love the comma! And take the quiz on this lesson at http://www.engvid.com/writing-skills-...

TRANSCRIPT

Fanboy and Comma girl, a love story. By Mr. E. Hi. I'm James from engVid. And you're probably wondering: What the hell am I talking about? Fanboy and Comma... Comma Girl, okay? She's a superhero, and our boy loves her. In case you don't know what a fanboy is because you may not follow comics or movies as religiously as these guys do, I've got a definition for you. So let's just read: What is a "fanboy"? A person who is loyal to a game, person, or company, regardless if it sucks or not. That's not quite true, but what they are talking about is that fanboys love their products. If they love Apple, it is the best the universe has ever produced. And if Apple does something wrong, help them, somebody help them because they will be angry. But generally put, they just love their products so much, they let everybody know about them. Anybody with ears that will listen or who cannot escape from them. All right?

So how does this have anything to do with English and grammar? Well, this is a grammar lesson, and I find sometimes grammar can be incredibly boring, so let's make it a little bit fun. So we created a love story by Mr. E. Now, let's start off with comma. Because what is this lesson about? It's how, well, conjunctions, which I'm going to get to, work with commas and sentences. Some of you might have problems with them, I mean, some of you might even go: "Conjunctions, what are they?" So I'm going to talk about the most common conjunctions, and I'm going to talk about comma usage. Okay? We're going to do a quick lesson, here, and I'll make it fun. You ready?

So the first thing we should talk about is a comma. What is a comma? It's a punctuation mark. When you have sentences, there's a time to take a breath or to complete it. Okay? Now, periods, you may know, end sentences or ends thoughts. A comma sometimes gives us a breath or it gives us a pause between parts of a sentence, or gives you time to catch your breath, or get part of an idea. Okay? We also use it for lists. There's Frank, okay? Frank, Billy, John, Susie, you know, lists. Lists of things. Knives, forks, scissors, dah, dah, dah, and you'll have comma, comma, comma, separating them, keeping them individual. And finally, we can also... Well, there's more uses, but these are general. We can use them for numbers, large numbers. You know this, we can say 1,000, there'll be a comma to indicate 1,000, and two commas to indicate 1,000,000. So largers... Numbers larger than 1,000, you'll have commas somewhere. All right? That's basically what the comma is used for. Three different uses.

So, what are fanboys? Well, I told you they're excited about everything, right? Well, there's a little bit more than that. They're conjunctions. If we look here, I wrote "conjunction", and I put exactly what a conjunction is. It means to join something together. In this case, when we have usually conjunctions, we join two ideas together. If we use a conjunction with a comma, normally you're going to have clauses, and the clauses will be balanced or equal. Okay? Later on we'll go into all of that, but that's what's going to happen when we have usually a comma and a conjunction. You know, there are clauses being used and they're balanced.

But: "What are the conjunctions?" you might ask. Well, let's start off with... These are the basic ones. There are more, but these are the most common ones, and we use this acronym which is a word made up from the first letter of each word so you have something that's easy to remember, and I chose FANBOYS. And in a second, I'll reveal why. "For", it gives you a reason. Why did they do this? Okay? "And" ideas that go together.

원문출처 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdGG2uJt5js

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수
33 Travel English: How to go through customs at the airport sorimsadol 761
32 What books should I read to improve my English sorimsadol 760
31 Learning English - Anglo-Link Trailer sorimsadol 631
30 How to Learn English - Challenge 7 with Steve Ford sorimsadol 593
29 Power Poses for Exam & Interview Success! sorimsadol 790
28 Writing Letters: formal & informal English sohee1004 1112
27 How to Learn English Fast - Learn English Live 30 with Steve Ford sohee1004 1333
26 How to Learn Real English - Learning English TV 21 - Steve Ford sohee1004 2267
25 Writing - Misplaced Modifiers chanyi 1122
24 Numbers in English Writing chanyi 690
23 Housing and Moving - English Language Notes 11 [3] sohee1004 1198
22 Writing Skills: The Paragraph chanyi 872
21 5 tips to improve your writing chanyi 638
20 English Writing Skills 9: Ellipsis and Ampersand (Part 1 of 2) [2] sohee1004 817
19 English Writing Skills 8: Semicolons and Colons (Part 2 of 2) [1] sohee1004 1011
18 Sound Advice AUDIO: Chapter 6 chanyi 697
17 Sound Advice AUDIO: Chapter 5 chanyi 686
16 Writing - Transitions - THEREFORE, THUS, CONSEQUENTLY chanyi 800
15 Sound Advice AUDIO: Chapter 4 chanyi 695
14 Sound Advice AUDIO: Chapter 3 chanyi 676
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화