You cannot see this page without javascript.

STUDENT NEWS

Defense Secretary Announces End to Combat Mission in Afghanistan Next Year

Aired February 3, 2012 - 04:00:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

GROUP: This is Ms. (Inaudible) current issues class from (Inaudible), South Dakota, and you`re watching CNN Student News. I

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: (Inaudible).

CARL AZUZ, HOST, CNN STUDENT NEWS: Yes, I am, and you guys are awesome, just like Fridays. We thank you for the introduction. I`m Carl Azuz, the real one here with your commercial-free headlines.

First up, a military mission that started more than a decade ago could be ending earlier than expected. Yesterday, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said the United States and NATO, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, want to end their combat mission in Afghanistan next year.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): That`s earlier than the current deadline for troops to be out by 2014. U.S. officials say the plan is what they`re hoping to do. Nothing is final yet, but some U.S. politicians say there`s no reason to change the timeframe. Ninette Sosa has more on the reaction to this new plan and on how it would work.

NINETTE SOSA, CNN REPORTER (voice-over): The U.S. military and NATO want to end the combat mission in Afghanistan a year ahead of schedule. The Obama Administration had set a deadline of 2014 to end the fighting. But Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says he hopes the mission will shift to a training and advisory role in 2013.

President Obama painted an optimistic picture of U.S. progress in Afghanistan during his State of the Union address last month.

BARACK OBAMA, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: The Taliban`s momentum has been broken and some troops in Afghanistan have begun to come home.

SOSA (voice-over): But a leaked NATO report has raised concerns about what will happen in Afghanistan once coalition troops pull out. The report suggests the Taliban are confident they will be ready to take over.

NATO is downplaying the significance of the report, but Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney slammed Defense Secretary Panetta for publicly revealing U.S. plans to end the combat mission early.

FORMER GOV. MITT ROMNEY, R-MASS., PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: He announced that so the Taliban hears it, the Pakistanis hear it, the Afghan leaders hear it. Why in the world do you go to the people that you`re fighting with and tell them the day you`re pulling out your troops? It makes absolutely no sense.

SOSA (voice-over): U.S. officials say no plans for the mission in Afghanistan will be final until a NATO meeting in May. I`m Ninette Sosa reporting.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: Next up, we`re heading down to the Pacific Ocean to talk about rescue efforts off the coast of Papua New Guinea. A ferry sank on its way from an island there to the mainland. The ship was about 10 miles offshore when it sank early on Thursday.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): There were around 350 people on board when this happened. Boats and helicopters rushed to the scene after an alert was sent out. As of Thursday afternoon, more than 230 people had been rescued. 

Australian officials are coordinating the search effort for the people who are still missing. One witness who was helping with the rescue said the weather probably played a role in the ship sinking. He said the area is notorious for having strong winds.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Time for the Shoutout. Which of these locations is farthest north? You know what to do. Is it Cape Hatteras, Coney Island, Cape Cod or Southernmost Point? You`ve got three seconds, go.

Cape Cod, Massachusetts, is the farthest point north on that list. That`s your answer, and that`s your Shoutout.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: Some scientists are trying to solve a mystery on Cape Cod. Dolphins have been getting stranded there. It`s not completely unusual. There are typically around 120 strandings per year. But more than 100 dolphins have gotten stranded since the start of January. Sometimes they`re washing 10 at a time.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): At least 81 of these dolphins were either found dead or they died shortly after being discovered. One animal welfare group director called the number "disturbing." Now, no one`s certain what`s causing the dolphin deaths. 

A local harbor master says changes in water temperature could be a contributing factor. Usually the Cape Cod harbor ices over in winter, so dolphins don`t get close to shore. But the harbor master says now that the water`s warmer, more are showing up than ever before.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: All right, here`s some lunar trivia for you. The time it takes for the moon to make one rotation on its axis is the same amount of time it takes for the moon to orbit around the Earth. So you have one side of the moon that`s always facing the Earth, and the other side is always facing away.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): Well, this is that other side, and these are the first video images that NASA has released of the far side of the moon from one of the pair of probes that are studying the moon`s gravitational field.

One of the interesting features here on the far side is this massive crater that scientists think might have been caused by an ancient comet or asteroid`s impact.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Just the facts: the Tuskegee Airmen composed the U.S. military`s first African-American flying unit. They were named after Tuskegee, Alabama, where they trained during World War II. Nearly 1,000 pilots graduated from the Tuskegee program. The Tuskegee Airmen flew more than 1,500 missions and earned more than 850 medals.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: The Tuskegee Airmen proved that with equal training and opportunity, African-Americans could serve in combat units as well as anyone. Their efforts helped lead to the integration of the U.S. military, and as we commemorate Black History Month, we`re giving you a chance to hear about the Tuskegee Airmen from some of the pilots themselves.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

RAYMOND WILLIAMS, TUSKEGEE AIRMAN: What does it mean to be a Tuskegee Airman? Certainly we`re a member of the very exclusive group of airmen. We all worked together. We love one another.

HERBERT CARTER, TUSKEGEE AIRMAN: I was doing what I considered the one of the most challenging and pleasant careers of my life, and that was flying.

WILBUR MASON, TUSKEGEE AIRMAN: So it was like a fraternity. There was a tremendous amount of brotherhood because guys were helping each other, you know. A fellow couldn`t perform to some degree or could bear something immediately, his buddies would jump in and try to encourage him and teach him.

CARTER: I went overseas with the 99th Pursuit Squadron. We were the first black fighter squadron in combat. I flew 77 combat missions, going overseas to fight, was doing so as an American, that I felt very proud of being and was willing to go fight and die for. It had nothing to do with the racial status that I had to endure. And it was love for America in spite of her imperfections.

MASON: Thinking we were making history or a part of history, never occurred to us, and we were just doing the best we could.

WILLIAMS: We went for many, many years when nobody knew that we existed. Right now, it`s about almost 70 years ago. So it took a long time for them to recognize us.

CARTER: I feel that recognition has finally come around. I simply hope that our young men and women of America will look at this experience and the story of these Tuskegee Airmen, and from it make themselves a committee of one so that we can perpetuate the legacy that these airmen have left.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: We want to see you on an upcoming edition of CNN Student News. And this is how you can do it. You can record yourself on either a camera or a phone, like you see me doing right now, talking about Black History Month. 

We want you to tell us, in 60 seconds or less, about an important figure in black history. We don`t want to hear any music or see any pictures. We just want to see you talking. Send it to us as an iReport at cnnstudentnews.com, and then look for our response in your email inbox.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: All right, before we go, we`ve got a gaggle of groundhogs. We`re going to start in Pennsylvania --

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): -- with old Punxsutawney Phil. He said we`re in for six more weeks of winter. But Phil doesn`t have the best record with these predictions, and he`s not in sync with Georgia`s General Beauregard Lee, who declared spring is almost here. Don`t you hate it when your weather predicting whistle pigs disagree?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Then there`s Chuckles -- he chuckles around a little bit. 

AZUZ (voice-over): Here`s Chuckles in Connecticut who declared that winter is canceled. I didn`t think a groundhog had that kind of power --

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: -- but if you never want to see another winter, hope springs eternal. I think that`s one of better and higher-brow puns. Now before we charge to the weekend, we want to salute the Chargers of Lawrence Marathon (ph) Middle School in Iowa. A student there got our social media question of the week right. We hope you guys and everyone out there has a wonderful weekend. We`ll see you on Monday.

END 

원문출처 : http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/cnn_studentnews/~3/qux_8IHEsDo/index.html

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수sort
1005 VOA News Linking Education and Employment in Africa chanyi 2012-03-13 1244
1004 굿모닝팝스 2012/12/22 (토) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 sohee1004 2012-12-22 1234
1003 VOA News Sound Imaging Used to Find Hidden Cracks in Infrastructure sorimsadol 2015-03-19 1233
1002 VOA News When a Textbook Is Online, Not on Paper chanyi 2012-02-25 1214
1001 VOA News British Bank Pays $340 Million Fine for Iran Dealings file sohee1004 2012-09-12 1183
1000 CNN CNN Student News Transcript - March 2, 2012 chanyi 2012-03-02 1174
999 CNN CNN Student News Transcript - February 24, 2012 chanyi 2012-02-24 1169
998 CNN CNN Student News - March 18, 2013 sohee1004 2013-03-18 1168
997 굿모닝팝스 2012/10/16 (화) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 sohee1004 2012-10-16 1118
996 CNN Senior Al Qaeda Leader Killed in Drone Strike chanyi 2012-06-06 1099
995 굿모닝팝스 2012/08/14 (화) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 [1] sohee1004 2012-08-14 1089
994 굿모닝팝스 2012/11/25 (일) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 sohee1004 2012-11-25 1084
993 VOA News Women in the Navy: Aboard an Aircraft Carrier file chanyi 2012-04-17 1084
992 CNN Obama Visits Afghanistan; May Day Protests chanyi 2012-05-02 1068
991 VOA News For Smokers, Never Too Late to Quit; Diesel Exhaust and Cancer file chanyi 2012-07-17 1066
990 CNN CNN Student News - October 23, 2012 sohee1004 2012-10-23 1062
989 VOA News Website Saves Today's Headlines for the Future file chanyi 2012-07-11 1059
988 CNN Fighting in Syria; Michael Bloomberg Wants to Ban Large Sodas chanyi 2012-06-01 1059
» CNN CNN Student News Transcript - February 3, 2012 chanyi 2012-02-03 1058
986 CNN G8 and NATO Summits; Chen Guangcheng Comes to the US chanyi 2012-05-21 1052
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화