You cannot see this page without javascript.

May 31, 2012

STUDENT NEWS

Charles Taylor Sentenced to 50 Years; Mitt Romney Officially Wins GOP Nomination

Aired May 31, 2012 - 04:00:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

(MUSIC PLAYING)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GROUP: CNN Student News starts now. Take it away, Carl.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Don`t forget our Shoutout.

(LAUGHTER)

(END VIDEO CLIP)

CARL AZUZ, HOST, CNN STUDENT NEWS: How could I after that awesome iReport? Thanks to Mr. Wybul`s (ph) class for that introduction, and thanks to all of you for spending this last day of May with CNN Student News.

First up today, a 50-year prison sentence for Charles Taylor, the former leader of Liberia. Taylor was found guilty by an international criminal court last month. He`s the first former world leader since World War II to be convicted of war crimes.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): Taylor was president of the African nation of Liberia from 1997 through 2003. during that time, he was accused of being involved with the civil war in a neighboring country, Sierra Leone. The charges included murder, slavery and forcing people younger than 15 to fight in the conflict. 

A special court in The Netherlands handed down Taylor`s sentence yesterday. The judge says Taylor was responsible for, quote, "aiding and abetting some of the most brutal crimes in human history." The former Liberian leader is appealing his conviction.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: International anger about what`s going on Syria is growing. The United Nations Security Council is looking for ways to pressure Syria`s government to stop the fighting that`s gone on for more than a year now. Thousands of people, most of them civilians, have been killed in this violence.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): There`s anger inside Syria as well. This protest was in the city of Houla. That`s where more than 100 Syrians were killed last Friday in what some people describe as a massacre. One big question is what the international community can do about this. 

No country is openly pushing for military action. Some have spoken out against the idea. Others say it should be an option. Some officials say right now the situation in Syria is at a tipping point.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Today`s first Shoutout goes out to Coach Ivy and Coach Guerra`s civics classes at Manor High School in Manor, Texas.

What city is hosting this year`s Republican Party National Convention? Is it Charlotte, North Carolina; St. Paul, Minnesota; Denver, Colorado or Tampa, Florida? You`ve got three seconds, go.

Tampa is hosting the Republican National Convention at the end of August. That`s your answer, and that`s your Shoutout.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: During that convention the Republican Party will officially name its presidential nominee. That is now almost certain to be Mitt Romney. This week the former Massachusetts governor unofficially won his party`s nomination, thanks to the Texas primary. Governor Romney has been winning delegates and primaries and caucuses since January. 

Tuesday`s win in Texas put him over the so-called magic number of 1,144. That`s how many delegates it takes to win the Republican nomination this year.

One of the people who offered congratulations to Mitt Romney, his opponent. President Obama called Governor Romney about the milestone yesterday. The president will officially be named the Democratic nominee at that party`s national convention. That`s taking place in Charlotte in September.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

The states hosting those conventions and others along the U.S. East Coast are dealing with rain and wind from Beryl. This is the same severe weather system that we reported on earlier in the week.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): Wednesday evening, Beryl was no longer a tropical depression, even though it was losing strength, it was still raising concerns, though, because in addition to the wind and the rain, Beryl was also causing dangerous rip currents. 

One person was swept away in Florida on Monday. Around 170 other swimmers had to be rescued from the surf over the weekend. Forecasters said rip currents were a threat along the coast from Florida up through North and South Carolina.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Time for a Shoutout Extra Credit.

What city has the largest subway system in the United States? You know what to do. Is it Boston, Chicago, New York or Washington, D.C.? Put another three seconds on the clock and go.

New York didn`t have the first U.S. subway system, but it definitely has the largest. That`s your answer and that`s your Shoutout Extra Credit.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: New York City is in the process of making that subway system even bigger. It`s adding a new line as part of the city`s first major subway expansion in 50 years. New York transportation officials say once it`s done, the new line will help reduce overcrowding and delays. But that`s doesn`t happen quickly and that doesn`t happen cheaply. Ali Velshi looks at what`s involved.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ALI VELSHI, CNN HOST: Backhoe excavators that can cost $700,000 apiece, manlifts that sell for up to half a million bucks, see that hydraulic drill jumbo? They can go for 800 grand a pop. These are the machines of modern-day civil engineering. New York City has them working full speed ahead on its new Second Avenue subway line.

Subways are expensive. Just to give you a sense of perspective, way back when the first subway in Manhattan was 21 miles, and it cost $35 million. This one, about a mile and a half, for about $4.5 billion. That`s more than a billion dollars a stop.

And that`s just for phase one. We went digging 10 stories below Manhattan to find out what goes into the bottom line on a new subway line.

MICHAEL HORODNLCEANU, PRESIDENT, MTA CAPITAL CONSTRUCTION: It`s a bargain. (Inaudible) a bargain, $800,000 a pop.

VELSHI: The most massive piece of equipment used is the tunnel boring machine. The last time New York built a subway it used the cut-and-cover method, digging from street level. Boring is much more efficient and it disrupts life above ground a lot less.

TOM PEYTON, PARSONS BRINCKERHOFF: The one that did this is 22 foot in diameter, a little over two stories tall. It can go on average about 50 foot a day.

VELSHI: One of these things costs $12 million and requires 20 people to operate it. At 50 feet a day, boring two mile-and-a-half tunnels takes a long time.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: But this is a linear project.

VELSHI: Right.

HORODNLCEANU: You must do the tunnels before you do this.

VELSHI: And highly specialized laborers are the ones doing that. Sandhogs or urban miners work alongside operating engineers who drive and maintain the machinery.

PEYTON: On average, we pay a guy about $1,000 a day, and that`s base salary plus benefits.

VELSHI: It`s putting people to work in a tough economy. The Metropolitan Transit Authority expects phase one of the subway -- that`s 31/2 stops and a tunnel and a fourth stop -- to create 130,000 jobs with an economic impact of almost $18 billion over the nine years of construction.

New Yorkers keep asking why this takes so long.

HORODNLCEANU: It is normal.

VELSHI: It is what --

HORODNLCEANU: It is normal. It is what it takes.

VELSHI: All the while, Americans are footing the bill, no matter where they live.

HORODNLCEANU: Second Avenue, right now, $1.3 billion come from the federal government and the rest of $3.15 billion comes from New York.

PEYTON: And in 2016, when we swipe our card and ride their first train, it`s going to feel real good.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: All right. It`s time to have a little fun. Several works ago, we asked you to send us iReports of any questions you had for me. We had a great response to this. The full interview is up and ready to watch at cnnstudentnews.com. You`ll find it in the "Spotlight" section. If you want to know who comes up with all the puns, go there. If you want to see a sample of what this is all about, watch here.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MEGAN RINKE, IREPORTER: Hi, my name`s Megan, and I`m wondering, is this really what you wanted to do when you grew up? I mean, as a kid, did you really want to be an anchorman? Or what else did you want to do?

AZUZ: As a kid, Megan, I had no idea what I wanted to do. At one point, I thought I might want to be a milkman, just delivering milk and saying hey to everybody -- not very lucrative these days.

So when I started working in news, I thought my first career goals were to be a writer and producer, which I eventually became. But after doing that for a while, I started thinking to myself, I don`t want to be the guy to just write what`s going on in the news and have somebody else tell you about it. 

I`m a talker. I spent time in detention for talking when I was in school. I want to be the person to tell you guys what`s going on in the world. So it was really after I started working in news that I really started focusing on becoming an anchor.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: All right. Before we go, where does a large bear go to cool off?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ (voice-over): Just about anywhere it wants to, like a family`s Infinity pool in California. Two sisters spotted the ursine intruder in their back yard, and they decided to start shooting video -- from a safe distance, of course. They said they weren`t too worried since the bear wasn`t causing a commotion. In fact, at one point, it just sat on the pool`s built-in stools and just seemed to enjoy the view.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: Why a pool? Well, you might have expected a bear to hang out at the "maul." The sisters said they expected to just drink the water, you know, take a few laps. The family could try to sue the animal. They`d have, of course, to file a bathing suit. 

Not sure how the bear would hire a lawyer, though. It would have to pool its resources. The "pun-tential" of this story stretches to infinity but we "bear-ly" have anytime left. For CNN Student News, I`m Carl Azuz. Have a great day.

(MUSIC PLAYING) 

END 

원문출처 : http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/cnn_studentnews/~3/UNOIOdqNbv8/index.html
엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수sort
965 CNN CNN Student News Transcript - January 12, 2012 chanyi 2012-01-12 932
964 CNN CNN Student News - October 22, 2012 sohee1004 2012-10-22 924
963 VOA News US Postal Service Wants Congress to Make Changes to Its Business Model file sohee1004 2012-09-25 915
962 VOA News Gonorrhea Getting Harder to Treat file sohee1004 2013-04-05 913
961 VOA News How Facebook Can Affect Your Sense of Happiness file chanyi 2012-03-01 911
960 CNN FBI Investigating Leak of Classified Documents chanyi 2012-06-08 906
959 VOA News Making Friends Not Always Easy for Foreign Students file sohee1004 2012-09-12 899
958 CNN Atlantic Hurricane Season Predictions [1] chanyi 2012-04-06 899
957 CNN Recovery Efforts in Joplin, Missouri; NATO Meeting in Chicago chanyi 2012-05-22 893
956 CNN Terror Plot Foiled chanyi 2012-05-09 890
955 CNN CNN Student News - March 15, 2013 sohee1004 2013-03-15 879
954 VOA News Language Has Risks for Health Translators chanyi 2012-05-29 879
953 VOA News Death Valley: Beauty and Danger in One Place file chanyi 2012-04-10 879
952 CNN CNN Student News Transcript - January 17, 2012 chanyi 2012-01-17 877
951 VOA News Middle East Tensions Rise as Russian Warplanes Violate Turkish Airspace sorimsadol 2015-10-06 876
950 VOA News How the Tuskegee Airmen Broke Racial Barriers file chanyi 2012-04-17 870
949 VOA News Saving Bonobos, the 'Make Love Not War' Apes file sohee1004 2012-10-12 867
948 VOA News Experts Suggest Ways to Help International Students Make Friends with American Students file sohee1004 2012-09-25 858
947 CNN Tax Day in the U.S. chanyi 2012-04-17 849
946 VOA News Can Brain Scans of Young Children Predict Reading Problems? chanyi 2012-03-06 846
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화