You cannot see this page without javascript.

This is the VOA Special English Technology Report.

The modern way to collect signatures on a petition requires no paper or pen or standing on a street for hours. Change.org and other websites let people start or sign online petitions.

There are many different reasons why people start petitions at Change.org. The top causes range from animal protection to criminal justice to women's rights.

Lauren Todd of New York started a petition a few months ago after she saw a picture of a girl's shirt on Facebook. The shirt read:"I'm too pretty to do homework, so my brother has to do it for me."

As Ms. Todd told CBS television, "It was outrageous enough to be posted on Facebook, but it was actually more outrageous than that, and I felt I needed to do something about it."

Her petition urged shoppers to boycott J.C. Penney stores until they stopped selling shirts with what she called sexist messages. Five hours later, Shelby Knox started tweeting about the petition to her thousands of Twitter followers. Ms. Knox is the director of women's rights organizing for Change.org.

Some of her followers also started tweeting about the shirt and signing the petition. Ms Knox says, "From the time that Lauren started the petition on Change.org and J.C. Penney pulled the shirt, it was about ten hours, in which it got over two thousand signatures and at one point was generating over four hundred tweets a minute."

She said that with each new signature, an e-mail automatically went to J.C. Penney's public relations team. Another went to the company's chief. J.C. Penney, without comment, discontinued the shirts.

Clothing designer John Noone has worked with a number of large stores. He says he has always used words like "pretty" or "princess" when he creates shirts for girls. It's easier to sell a shirt that says "My little princess" than "My A student," he says. But now, with the Internet, consumers who take offense can do more than just write an angry letter to the company.

Another clothing seller, Forever 21, got in trouble not long after J.C. Penney. Forever 21 was selling a girl's shirt that read "Allergic to Algebra." It stopped selling them the day after the story spread.

Robin Sackin is a professor at New York's Fashion Institute of Technology. She says children are influenced by their parents, not the words on a shirt. "So if my child says to me 'Mommy, I want to get that,' I've said, 'OK, you can have it, but just remember something -- I don't care if you're pretty, you're doing your homework.'"

For VOA Special English, I'm Carolyn Presutti. (Adapted from a radio program broadcast 02Jan2012)

원문출처 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeg72f-NHQQ&feature=youtube_gdata

[Translation]

Consumers’ Online Petitions Put Pressure on Businesses
소비자들의 온라인 청원이 기업들에 압력을 가하다.

The modern way to collect signatures on a petition requires no paper or pen or standing on a street for hours. All it requires is going online.
청원서에 서명을 받는 현대적인 방식은 종이나 펜, 몇 시간 동안 길거리에 서 있는 것 따위를 필요로 하지 않는다. 필요한 것은 모두 온라인 상으로 진행된다.

Change.org is a social action website where people around the world can start or sign online petitions. The top causes range from animal protection to criminal justice to women’s rights.
Change.org는 사회적 행위(사회 개혁을 목표로 하는 조직적 활동)를 위한 웹사이트로서, 전 세계 사람들이 온라인 청원을 시작하거나 서명할 수 있는 곳이다. 인기 있는 사건들은 동물 보호에서부터 여성의 권리에 대한 형법에 이르기까지 다양하다.

There are many different reasons why people start petitions at the site. Lauren Todd of New York told CBS television that she started a petition a few months ago after she saw a picture of a girls shirt on Facebook. The shirt read: “I’m too pretty to do homework, so my brother has to do it for me.”
사람들이 왜 이 사이트에서 청원을 시작하는지에 대한 많은 다양한 이유들이 있다. 뉴욕의 로렌 토드 씨가 CBS TV 방송에 출연해서 말하기를 그녀는 페이스북에 있는 여자 아이 셔츠에 있는 그림을 보고 나서 몇 달 전에 청원을 시작했다고 말했다. 그 셔츠에는 “저는 너무 예뻐서 숙제를 못해요. 그래서 제 오빠가 나 대신 숙제를 해야 해요”라고 쓰여 있었다.

LAUREN TODD: “It was outrageous enough to be posted on Facebook, but it was actually more outrageous than that, and I felt like I needed to do something about it.”
로렌 토드: “그것은 페이스북에 올려지기에 충분히 충격적이었어요. 그러나 실제로 그것은 그보다 더 충격적이어서, 저는 제가 그것에 대해 무언가를 해야할 필요가 있겠다고 생각했어요.”

Ms. Todd’s petition urged shoppers to boycott J.C. Penney stores until they stopped selling shirts with what she called sexist messages.
토드 씨의 청원은 토드 씨가 성차별적이라고 했던 메세지가 있는 셔츠를 J.C. 페니 사에서 판매 중단하기까지 구매자들로 하여금 J.C. 페니 사의 가게 상품에 대해 불매운동을 하도록 권고했다.

Five hours later, Shelby Knox started tweeting about the petition to her thousands of Twitter followers. Ms. Knox is the director of women’s rights organizing for Change.org. Some of her followers also started tweeting about the shirt and signing the petition.
5시간 후, 셸비 낙스 씨는 수천명이 넘는 그녀의 팔로워들에게 이 청원에 대해 트위팅하기 시작했다. 낙스 씨는 Change.org에서 여성의 권리 체계화를 담당하는 책임자이다. 그녀의 팔로워들 가운데 몇몇도 이 셔츠에 대해 트위팅하고 청원에 서명하기 시작했다.

SHELBY KNOX: “From the time that Lauren started the petition on Change.org and J.C. Penney pulled the shirt, it was about ten hours, in which it got over two thousand signatures and at one point was generating over four hundred tweets a minute.”
셸비 낙스: “로렌 씨가 Change.org에서 이 청원을 시작한 그 때로부터 J.C. 페니 사가 그 셔츠를 거둬 들이기까지, 그것은 약 10시간 정도 밖에 안 걸렸어요. 그 시간 안에 2천 개가 넘는 서명을 받았고, 한때 분당 4백개가 넘는 트윗을 만들기도 했어요.”

Ms. Knox said that with each new signature, an e-mail automatically went to J.C. Penney’s public relations team. Another went to the company’s chief. J.C. Penney, without comment, discontinued the shirts.
낙스 씨에 따르면 새로운 서명이 이루어 질 때마다 전자 메일이 J.C. 페니 사의 홍보 팀에게로 자동으로 전송되었다고 한다. 또 다른 메일은 J.C. 페니 사의 대표이사에게로 갔다. J.C. 페니 사는 아무 말 없이 해당 셔츠에 대한 판매를 중단했다.

Clothing designer John Noone has worked with a number of large stores. He says he has always used words like “pretty” or “princess” when he creates shirts for girls.
의류 디자이너인 죤 눈 씨는 수 많은 큰 가게들과 일해왔다. 그는 여자 아이들을 위한 셔츠를 만들 때 항상 “예쁜” 또는 “공주”와 같은 단어들을 사용해왔다고 말한다.

JOHN NOONE: “Because it’s easy to do, I guess it’s just so ingrained in our culture that just it’s an easy sale. It’s going to be easier to sell a shirt that says, you know, ‘My little princess’ than, uh, ‘My A student.’”
죤 눈: “쉽기 때문에, 제 생각엔 그것이 우리 문화 속에 너무 깊이 배서 판매가 용이하다고 생각해요. ‘나의 한 학생’이라고 쓰여 있는 것보다 ‘나의 어린 공주님’이라고 쓰여진 셔츠를 팔기가 더 쉬울 겁니다.”

Mr. Noone says fashion designers find their ideas in many places. It could be a celebrity’s tweet or something said on a TV show.
패션 디자이너들은 여러 곳에서 아이디어를 찾아낸다고 눈 씨는 말한다. 유명 인사의 트윗일 수도 있고, TV 쇼에서 말하는 어떤 것일 수도 있다.

JOHN NOONE: “And if you think it’s funny and the designer thinks it’s funny and the buyer thinks it’s funny, then it, you know, it makes it to the store.”
죤 눈: “그리고, 여러분이 재밌다고 생각하고, 디자이너가 재밌다고 생각하고, 구매자들이 재밌다고 생각하면, 그 때 그것은 가게에서 팔리게 됩니다.”

But now, with the Internet, consumers who take offense can do more than just write an angry letter to the company.
그러나 현재 인터넷을 통해, 분노한 소비자들은 분노에 찬 편지를 그 회사에 써 보내는 것 이상의 것을 할 수 있다.

Another clothing seller, Forever 21, got in trouble not long after J.C. Penney. Forever 21 was selling a girl’s shirt that read “Allergic to Algebra.” It stopped selling them the day after the story spread.
또 다른 의류 판매 회사인 포에버 21은 J.C. 페니 사가 그 일을 겪은지 얼마되지 않아 곤란에 처하게 되었다. 포에버 21 사는 “대수학 알레르기”라고 쓰여진 여자 아이들의 셔츠를 팔고 있었다. 이 회사는 그러한 이야기가 퍼져나간 다음 날 그 옷들에 대한 판매를 중단했다.

Robin Sackin is a professor at New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology. She thinks people should not get so angry. Children are influenced by their parents, she says, not the words on a shirt.
로빈 쌔큰 씨는 뉴욕 주립 패션 공과대의 교수이다. 그녀는 사람들이 그렇게 화를 내서는 안된다고 생각한다. 아이들은 셔츠에 쓰여진 단어들이 아니라 부모의 영향을 받는다고 그녀는 말한다. 

ROBIN SACKIN: “So if my child says to me ‘Mommy, I want to get that,’ I’ve said, ‘OK, you can have it, but just remember something -- I don’t care if you’re pretty, you’re doing your homework.’”
로빈 쌔큰: “그러므로 내 자녀가 ‘엄마, 나 저거 갖고 싶어요’라고 말한다면, ‘그래, 사 줄게, 그렇지만 이것만은 기억하렴, 난 네가 예쁜지, 네가 숙제를 하는지는 조금도 상관 안한다는 걸 말이야.’라고 말할 겁니다.”

[Vocabulary]
petition 진정서, 탄원서, 신청서(법원에 법률적 처리를 요청하는 신청서)  /  outrageous 너무나 충격적인, 터무니 없는  /  sexist 성차별주의자  /  boycott 구매를 거부하다  /  ingrained 깊이 밴, 깊이 몸에 밴  /  celebrity 유명 인사  /  make it to ~에 이르다, 도착하다  /  get in trouble 곤란에 처하다

[Check-up Questions]
What is Change.org?
What is the good thing about starting a petition at this website?
Why did Lauren Todd start a petition?

[Discussion Questions]
Do you think it natural to get so angry about the use of such words as “pretty” or “princess” on a shirt? What do you think about it?
What do you think about gender equality?

해석출처: Daniel K. Lee
엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수sort
925 CNN Space Shuttle Discovery Becomes Museum Exhibit chanyi 2012-04-18 800
924 VOA News US Considers Approving Drug to Prevent HIV chanyi 2012-06-13 799
923 CNN Charles Taylor Found Guilty of Aiding and Abetting War Crimes chanyi 2012-04-27 799
922 VOA News Turning Yoga Upside Down With Moves Like Cirque de Soleil file sohee1004 2012-10-03 797
921 굿모닝팝스 2012/09/12 (수) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 sohee1004 2012-09-12 797
920 VOA News Ready to Save Like There's No Tomorrow? file sohee1004 2012-07-25 796
919 VOA News Debating the Best Way to Learn a Language file sohee1004 2012-07-25 795
918 VOA News Looking at a Piece of U.S. History: the Amendment That Banned Slavery chanyi 2012-02-25 793
917 CNN CNN Student News Transcript - March 22, 2012 chanyi 2012-03-22 790
916 VOA News Tobacco Forces Still Strong file sohee1004 2012-09-25 789
915 굿모닝팝스 2012/06/10 (일) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 chanyi 2012-06-10 786
914 CNN Greek Government Troubles; Spain`s Economic Woes chanyi 2012-05-14 780
» VOA News Consumers' Online Petitions Put Pressure on Businesses chanyi 2012-01-31 780
912 굿모닝팝스 2013/03/27 (수) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 sohee1004 2013-03-27 775
911 CNN CNN Student News Transcript - January 19, 2012 chanyi 2012-01-19 772
910 굿모닝팝스 2012/12/29 (토) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 sohee1004 2012-12-29 769
909 CNN April Snowstorm in Northeastern U.S. chanyi 2012-04-24 769
908 VOA News A Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Then 'Crack' chanyi 2012-07-10 768
907 굿모닝팝스 2012/12/26 (수) 이근철의 굿모닝팝스 sohee1004 2012-12-26 757
906 VOA News Need Help With Your Writing? Try This Web Site file chanyi 2012-07-11 757
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화