You cannot see this page without javascript.

Keith Barry: Brain magic

조회 수 1427 추천 수 0 2014.01.14 01:27:23

http://www.ted.com First, Keith Barry shows us how our brains can fool our bodies -- in a trick that works via podcast too. Then he involves the audience in some jaw-dropping (and even a bit dangerous) feats of brain magic.

Brain magic. What's brain magic all about? Brain magic to me indicates that area of magic dealing with psychological and mind-reading effects. So unlike traditional magic, it uses the power of words, linguistic deception, non-verbal communication and various other techniques to create the illusion of a sixth sense.

Now, I'm going to show you all how easy it is to manipulate the human mind once you know how. And I want everybody downstairs also to join in with me and everybody here. I want everybody to put out your hands like this for me, first of all. OK, clap them together, once. OK, reverse your hands. Now, follow my actions exactly. Now about half the audience has their left hand up. Why is that? OK, swap them around, put your right hand up. OK, now, cross your hands over, so your right hand goes over, interlace your fingers like this, then make sure your right thumb is outside your left thumb -- that's very important. Yours is the other way around, so swap it around. Excellent, OK. Extend your fingers like this for me. All right. Tap them together once. OK, now, if you did not allow me to deceive your minds, you would all be able to do this. (Laughter) So, now you can see how easy it is for me to manipulate the human mind, once you know how. (Laughter)

Now, I remember when I was about 15, I read a copy of Life magazine, which detailed a story about a 75-year-old blind Russian woman who could sense printed letters -- there's still people trying to do it here -- (Laughter) -- who could sense printed letters and even sense colors, just by touch. And she was completely blind. She could also read the serial numbers on bills when they were placed, face down, on a hard surface. Now, I was fascinated, but at the same time, skeptical. How could somebody read using their fingertips? You know, if you actually think about it, if somebody is totally blind -- a guy yesterday did a demonstration in one of the rooms, where people had to close their eyes and they could just hear things. And it's just a really weird thing to try and figure out. How could somebody read using their fingertips? Now earlier on, as part of a TV show that I have coming up on MTV, I attempted to give a similar demonstration of what is now known as second sight. So, let's take a look.

(Video) Man: There we go. I'm going to guide you into the car.

Kathryn Thomas: (Laughter)

Man: You're OK, keep on going.

KT: How are you?

Keith Barry: Kathryn, it's Keith here. I'm going to take you to a secret location, OK?

Now, Kathryn, there was no way you could see through that blindfold, at all, through all that.

KT: OK, but don't say my name like that.

KB: No, but you're OK, yes?

KT: Yes.

KB: There's no way you could have seen through it, agreed?

KT: No.

KB: OK, I'm just going to take it off. You're OK, you're OK. Do you want to take off the other part of it? Go ahead and take it off, you're OK. We'll just stop for a second.

KT: I'm so afraid of what I'm going to see.

KB: No, no, you're fine, you're fine, take it off. You're OK. You're safe. Have you ever heard of second sight?

KT: No.

KB: Second sight is whereby a mind-control expert can see through somebody else's eyes. And I'm going to try that right now.

KT: God.

KB: Are you ready? Where is it? There's no way ...

KT: (Beep) Oh, my God!

KB: Don't say anything, I'm trying to see through your eyes. I can't see.

KT: There's a wall, there's a wall.

KB: Look at the road, look at the road.

KT: OK, OK, OK. Oh, my God!

KB: Now, anything coming at all?

KT: No, no, no, no.

KB: Sure there's not?

KT: No, no, I'm just still looking at the road. I'm looking at the road, all the time. I'm not taking my eyes off the road. (Beep) (Beep) (Beep) Oh, my God!

KB: Where are we? Where are we? We're going uphill, are we going uphill?

KT: Look at the road -- (Beep) Still got that goddamn blindfold on.

KB: What?

KT: How are you doing this?

KB: Just don't break my concentration. We're OK, though?

KT: Yes. That's so weird. We're nearly there. Oh, my God! Oh, my God!

KB: And I've stopped.

KT: That is weird. You're like a freak-ass of nature. That was the most scary thing I've ever done in my life!

(Applause)

KB: Thank you. By the way, two days ago, we were going to film this down there, at the race course, and we got a guy into a car, and we got a camera man in the back, but halfway through the drive, he told me he had a -- I think it was a nine-millimeter or something, stuck to his leg. So, I stopped pretty quick, and that was it.

So, do you believe it's possible to see through somebody else's eyes? That's the question. Now, most people here would automatically say no. OK, but I want you to realize some facts. I couldn't see through the blindfold. The car was not gimmicked or tricked in any way. The girl, I'd never met before, all right. So, I want you to just think about it for a moment. A lot of people try to come up with a logical solution to what just happened, all right. But because your brains are not trained in the art of deception, the solutions you come up with will, 99 percent of the time, be way off the mark.

This is because magic is all about directing attention. If, for instance, I didn't want you to look at my right hand, well, then, I don't look at it. But if I wanted you to look at my right hand, then I look at it, too. You see, it's very, very simple, once you know how, but very complicated in other ways.

Now, I'm going to give you some demonstrations up here, live, right now. I need two people to help me out real quick. Can you come up? And let's see, down at the end, here, can you also come up, real quick? Do you mind? Yes, at the end. OK, give them a round of applause as they come up. You might want to use the stairs, there. (Applause) Now, it's very important for everybody here to realize I haven't set anything up with you guys. You don't know what's about to happen. Is that agreed? OK, would you mind just standing over here for a moment? Your name is?

Nicole: Nicole.

KB: Nicole, and? (Telephone ringing)

KB: OK, oh. Tell them -- actually here's the thing, answer it, answer it, answer it. (Laughter)

Is it a girl?

Man: They've already gone.

KB: Oh, they're gone, OK. I'll tell you what, swap over positions. Can you stand over here? This will just make it a little bit easier. OK, that was a pity. I would have told them it was the ace of spades. OK, a little bit closer. (Laughter) A little bit closer. (Laughter) OK, a little bit closer, come over -- they look really nervous up here. Come in a little bit closer.

OK, now, do you believe in witchcraft at all?

Nicole: No.

KB: Voodoo?

KB: Things that go bump in the night?

KB: Besides, who's next, no, OK. I want you to just stand exactly like this for me, pull up your sleeves, if you don't mind. OK, now, I want you to be aware of all the different sensations around you, because we're going to try a voodoo experiment right now. I want you to be aware of the sensations, but don't say anything until I ask you, and don't open your eyes until I ask you. From this point onwards, close your eyes, do not say anything, do not open them, be aware of the sensations.

Yes or no, did you feel anything?

Nicole: Yes.

KB: You did feel that? What did you feel?

Nicole: A touch on my back.

KB: How many times did you feel it?

Nicole: Twice.

KB: Twice. OK, extend your left arm out in front of you. Extend your left arm, OK. OK, keep it there. Be aware of the sensations, don't say anything, don't open your eyes, OK. Did you feel anything, there?

KB: What did you feel?

Nicole: Three --

KB: Like a tickling sensation?

KB: Can you show us where? OK, excellent. Open your eyes. I never touched you. I just touched his back, and I just touched his arm. A voodoo experiment. (Laughter) Yeah, I walk around nightclubs all night like this. (Laughter) You just take a seat over here for a second. I'm going to use you again, in a moment. And can you take a seat right over here for me, if you don't mind. Sit right here.

Man: OK.

KB: OK, take a seat. Excellent, OK. Now, what I want you to do is look directly at me, OK, just take a deep breath in through your nose, letting it out through your mouth, and relax. Allow your eyes to close, on five, four, three, two, one. Close your eyes right now. OK, now, I'm not hypnotizing you, I'm merely placing you in a heightened state of synchronicity, so our minds are along the same lines. And as you sink and drift and float into this relaxed state of mind, I'm going to take your left hand, and just place it up here.

And I want you to hold it there, just for a moment, and I only want you to allow your hand to sink and drift and float back to the tabletop at the same rate and speed as you drift and float into this relaxed state of awareness, and allow it to go all the way down to the tabletop. That's it, all the way down, all the way down, all the way down, and further, and further, and further, and further, and further and further. Excellent. I want you to allow your hand to stick firmly to the tabletop. OK, now, allow it to stay there. OK, now, in a moment, you'll feel a certain pressure, OK, and I want you to be aware of the pressure. Just be aware of the pressure. And I only want you to allow your hand to float slowly back up from the tabletop as you feel the pressure release, but only when you feel the pressure release. Do you understand? Just answer yes or no. Do you understand?

Man: Yes.

KB: Hold it right there. OK, and only when you feel the pressure go back, I want you to allow your hand to slowly drift back to the tabletop, but only when you feel the pressure. (Laughter) OK, that was wonderfully done. Let's try it again.

Excellent. Now that you've got the idea, let's try something even more interesting. Allow it to stick firmly to the tabletop, keep your eyes closed. Can you stand up? OK, just stand, stage forward. I want you to point directly at his forehead, OK. Imagine a connection between you and him. Only when you want the pressure to be released, make an upward gesture, like this, but only when you want the pressure to be released. You can wait as long as you want, but only when you want the pressure released. OK, let's try it again. OK, now, imagine the connection, OK. Point directly at his forehead. Only when you want the pressure released, we'll try it again. OK, it worked that time, excellent. And hold it there, hold it there, both of you, hold it there. Only when you want the pressure to go back, make a downward gesture. You can wait as long as you want. You did it pretty quickly, but it went down, OK.

Now, I want you to be aware that in a moment, when I snap my fingers, your eyes will open, again. It's OK to remember to forget, or forget to remember what happened. Most people ask you, "What the hell just happened up here?" But it's OK that even though you're not hypnotized, you will forget everything that happened. (Laughter) On five, four, three, two, one -- open your eyes, wide awake. Give them a round of applause, as they go back to their seats. (Applause) OK, you can go back.

I once saw a film called "The Gods Are Crazy." Has anybody here seen that film? Yeah. (Applause) Do you remember when they threw the Coke bottle out of the airplane, and it landed on the ground, and it didn't break? Now, see, that's because Coke bottles are solid. It's nearly impossible to break a Coke bottle. Do you want to try it? Good job. (Laughter) She's not taking any chances.

You see, psychokinesis is the paranormal influence of the mind on physical events and processes. For some magicians or mentalists, sometimes the spoon will bend or melt, sometimes it will not. Sometimes the object will slide across the table, sometimes it will not. It depends on how much energy you have that day, so on and so forth. We're going to try an experiment in psychokinesis, right now. Come right over here, next to me. Excellent.

Now, have a look at the Coke bottle. Make sure it is solid, there's only one hole, and it's a normal Coke bottle. And you can whack it against the table, if you want. Be careful. Even though it's solid, I'm standing away. OK, I want you to pinch right here with two fingers and your thumb. Excellent. Now, I've got a shard of glass here, OK. I want you to examine the shard of glass. Be careful, because it is sharp. Just hold on to it for a moment. Now, hold it out here.

I want you to imagine, right now, a broken relationship from many years ago. I want you to imagine all the negative energy from that broken relationship, from that guy, being imparted into the broken piece of glass, which will represent him, OK. But I want you to take this very seriously. Stare at the glass, ignore everybody right here. In a moment, you'll feel a certain sensation, OK, and when you feel that sensation, I want you to drop the piece of glass into the bottle. Think of that guy, that ba -- that guy. (Laughter) I'm trying to be good here. OK, and when you feel the sensation -- it might take a while -- drop it into the glass. OK, drop it in.

Now, imagine all that negative energy in there. Imagine his name and imagine him inside the glass. And I want you to release that negative energy by shaking it from side to side. (Laughter) That was a lot of negative energy, built up in there. (Laughter) (Applause) I also want you to think of his name. Look at me and think of his name. Have you got his name? OK, think of how many letters in the title of his name. Think about how many letters in the title. There's five letters in the title. You didn't react to that, so it's four letters in the title. Think of one of the letters in the title. Think of one of the letters. There's a K in his name, there is a K. See the way I knew that, because my name starts with a K also, but his name doesn't start with a K, it starts with an M. Tell Mike I said hello, the next time you see him. Was that his name?

Nicole: Mm-hmm. KB: OK, give her a round of applause. (Applause) Thank you. (Applause) I've got one more thing to share with you right now. Actually, Chris, I was going to pick you for this, but instead of picking you, can you hop up here and pick a victim for this next experiment? And it should be a male victim, that's the only thing.

Chris Anderson: Oh, OK.

KB: I was going to use you for this, but I decided I might want to come back another year. (Laughter)

CA: Well, to reward him for saying "eureka," and for selecting Michael Mercil to come and talk to us -- Steve Jurvetson.

KB: OK, Steve, come on up here. (Applause)

CA: You knew!

KB: OK, Steve, I want you to take a seat, right behind here. Excellent. Now, Steve -- oh, you can check underneath. Go ahead, I've no fancy assistants underneath there. They just, they insist that because I was a magician, put a nice, black tablecloth on. There you are, OK. (Laughter) I've got four wooden plinths here, Steve. One, two, three and four. Now, they're all the exact same except this one obviously has a stainless steel spike sticking out of it. I want you to examine it, and make sure it's solid. Happy?

Steve Jurvetson: Mmm, yes.

KB: OK. Now, Steve, I'm going to stand in front of the table, OK. When I stand in front of the table, I want you to put the cups on the plinths, like this, in any order you want, and then mix them all up, so nobody has any idea where the spike is, all right? SJ: No one in the audience?

KB: No one in the audience. And just to help you out, I'll block them from view, so nobody can see what you're doing. I'll also look away. So, go ahead and mix them up, now. OK, and tell me when you're done. (Laughter) You done?

SJ: Mmm, almost.

KB: Almost, oh. OK, you're making sure that's well hidden. Now -- oh, we've got one here, we've got one here. (Applause) So, all right, we'll leave them like that. (Laughter) I'm going to have the last laugh, though. (Laughter) Now, Steve, you know where the spike is, but nobody else, does? Correct? But I don't want you to know either, so swivel around on your chair. They'll keep an eye on me to make sure I don't do anything funny. No, stay around, OK. Now, Steve, look back. So, now you don't know where the spike is, and I don't know where it is either, OK. Now, is there any way to see through this blindfold?

SJ: Put this on?

KB: No, just, is there any way to see through it?

SJ: Um, um.

KB: No?

SJ: No, I can't see through it.

KB: You can't see through it. Excellent, OK. Now, I'm going to put on the blindfold. Don't stack them up, OK. Give them an extra mix up. Don't move the cups, because I don't want anybody to see where the spike is, but give the plinths an extra mix up, and then line them up, like this, all right? I'll put the blindfold on. Give them an extra mix up. No messing around this time. OK, go ahead, mix them up. My hand is at life, here, so -- at risk. (Laughter) Tell me when you're done.

SJ: Done.

KB: OK, where are you? Put out your hand. Your right hand. Is that -- no, OK. Tell me when I'm over a cup.

SJ: You're over a cup.

KB: I'm over a cup, right now?

SJ: Mm-hmm.

KB: Now, Steve, do you think it's here? Yes or no?

SJ: Oh! (Laughter)

KB: I told you I'd have the last laugh. (Laughter)

SJ: I don't think it's there.

KB: No? Good decision. (Laughter) (Applause) Now, if I go this way, is there another cup over here? SJ: Can we do the left hand?

KB: Oh, no, no, no. He asked me could he do the left hand. Absolutely not. (Laughter)

KB: Now, if I go this way, is there another cup?

SJ: There's a cup that way, yes.

KB: OK, tell me when to stop.

SJ: OK.

KB: There?

SJ: Yes, there's one.

KB: OK. Do you think it's here, yes or no? This is your decision, not mine. (Laughter)

SJ: I'm going to say no.

KB: Good decision. (Laughter) OK, give me both hands. Now, put them on both cups. Do you think the spike is under your left hand, or under your right hand?

SJ: Uh, neither.

KB: Neither, oh, OK. But if you were to guess. (Laughter)

SJ: I think it's under my right hand. KB: You think it's under your right hand? Now, remember, you made all the decisions all along. Psychologists, figure this out. Have a look.

SJ: Oh! (Applause) KB: Thank you.

Thank you. If anybody wants to see some sleight of hand later on, I'll be outside. Thank you. (Applause) Thank you.

Thank you. (Applause)

브레인 매직, 브레인 매직이란 무엇일까요? 저에게 있어서 이 브레인 매직이란 인간의 심리나 독심술을 주로 다루는 마술의 분야입니다. 그렇기에 기존 전통적인 마술과는 달리, 말言의 힘이나, 언어적 속임수, 또는 비언어적 의사소통을 이용하죠. 그 뿐 아니라 육감의 환상을 창조하기 위해 다양한 기술들이 사용됩니다.

자, 지금, 여러분께 보여드리겠습니다. 인간의 마음을 조작하는 것이 얼마나 쉬운지 말이죠. 자, 이 영상을 보시는 분들과 현재 여기 계시는 분들 모두 함께 해주세요. 우선, 저 처럼 이렇게 두 손을 쭉 펴주세요. 좋아요. 자, 박수를 한 번 치구요. 이젠, 손을 뒤집으세요. 그리고 제가 하는 행동을 똑같이 따라 해보세요. 지금 여러분의 절반정도는 왼손이 위로 향해 있네요, 왜죠? 위치를 바꾸세요, 오른손이 위로 가야합니다. 이제 양 손을 교차시키세요, 그럼 현재 오른손이 위에 있습니다. 그럼, 손가락을 깍지 끼세요. 이렇게요. 오른손 엄지가 왼손 엄지 바깥쪽에 위치하는지 확인 하시구요. 이게 아주 중요한 사항이에요. 아 저분은 반대로 하셨네요, 바꾸시구요. 좋아요, 이제 저 처럼 손가락을 쭉 펴세요. 그렇죠, 한 번 톡톡 쳐보시구요. 이제, 제가 여러분의 마음을 속이는걸 원하지 않으신다면, 아마 이정도는 손쉽게 하실 수 있겠죠? (웃음) 이제, 제가 인간의 마음을 얼마나 쉽게 조작하고, 속일 수 있는지 아시겠죠? (웃음)

제가 열다섯살 때쯤이었습니다. Life매거진이란 잡지에서 감촉으로 활자를 읽을 수 있는 75세의 러시아 맹인 할머니에 대한 자세한 이야기를 읽었던 기억이 납니다. 여기 아직도 해보시는 분들이 계시네요. (웃음) 아무튼, 활자 뿐만 아니라, 심지어는 색도 감지 할 수 있었다고 합니다. 단지 손의 감촉으로요. 말씀 드렸다시피, 할머니는 완전한 맹인이었구요. 또한 지폐에 새겨진 고유번호도 읽을 수 있었다 합니다. 그것도 딱딱한 표면에 뒤집혀 놓인 상태에서 말이죠. 정말 흥미있는 이야기였지만, 한편으론 미심쩍기도 했죠. 어떻게 손끝으로 무엇인가를 읽을 수 있단 말이지? 사실 생각해 보신다면, 완전히 눈먼 사람이, 사실 어제 한 분이 한 방에 눈을 가린 실험자들을 모아두고 오직 소리만 듣고, 그것이 무엇인가를 맞추는 실험을 했는데요. 정말 요상하기도 하고, 맞추기도 거의 불가능한 실험이었죠. 도대체 어떻게 손끝으로 사물을 읽어내고 판단하는 것일까요? 얼마 전, 이제 곧 MTV에서 방영될 프로의 한 장면으로서, 저도 비슷한 실험을 시도했었는데요. 바로 이젠 "제2의 시야"라고 알려진 것을 설명하기 위해서였습니다. 비디오를 잠시 보시죠.

(영상) 자 이제 시작해볼까요. 제가 차로 인도 해드릴께요.

(웃음)

걱정하지 마세요, 계속 가세요.

안녕하세요.

캐스린, 저는 키스 배리에요. 이제부터 저와 비밀의 장소로 가는거에요, 알았죠?

캐스린씨는 지금 눈이 가려져서 앞을 전혀 볼 수 없죠.

그래요. 그런데 제 이름 그렇게 부르진 마세요.

알겠어요. 아무튼 지금 괜찮으시죠?

그런것 같네요.

다시 한번, 현재 앞이 전혀 보이지 않는 상황이죠. 맞나요?

그래요.

좋아요. 이제 출발하도록 할게요. 걱정 마세요, 괜찮아요. 눈가리개 벗으실래요? 어서요, 예, 벗으세요. 괜찮아요. 잠깐만 있다 출발하도록 하죠.

눈 앞에 뭐가 있을지 무섭네요.

괜찮아요, 걱정말아요. 자, 이제 눈가리개를 풀으세요. 안전하니깐. 혹시 제2의시야라는 말 들어본 적 있으세요?

아니요.

간단하게 말해서, 마인드 컨트롤 전문가가 타인의 눈을 통해 사물을 보는 것을 뜻해요. 그리고 지금, 여기서 그걸 해볼거에요.

이럴수가..

준비됐나요? 어딨죠? 볼수가 없으니..

(효과음) 세상에나..!

쉿, 아무말도 하지 마세요. 지금 캐스린씨의 눈을 통해 보려는 중이에요. 아직은 아무것도 안보여요.

앞에 벽이 있어요. 벽이 있다구요.

도로를 보세요. 도로를 봐요.

알았어요, 알았어요, 이럴수가!

우리쪽으로 오는 것은 없구요?

어,어,없어요.

확실한거죠?

없다니까요. 지금도 도로를 보고 있어요. 계속 도로를 보고 있다구요. 도로에서 눈 한번 안떼고 있어요. (효과음) (효과음) (효과음) 이런 세상에!

키스: 지금 어디죠? 우리 지금 어디에요? 우리 지금 언덕위로 가고 있나요?

도로나 보세요 --(효과음) 아직도 그 망할 눈가리개를 하고 있다니.

뭐라구요?

도대체 어떻게 이게 가능하죠?

제 집중을 깨뜨리지 마세요. 괜찮은거죠 우리?

그래요. 이건 진짜 말도 안돼. 이제 다 왔어요. 이럴수가! 세상에 어떻게!

자 이제 차를 멈추구요.

믿을 수가 없네요. 진짜 귀신같네요. 진짜 제 인생에서 가장 무서운 경험이었어요.

(박수)

감사합니다. 헌데말이죠. 이틀 전에 영상에 나왔던 운전코스에서 똑같은 것을 촬영하려 했었는데요. 그래서 차에 남자를 한명 태우고, 뒷자석에는 카메라맨을 태웠습니다. 그런데 한 중간쯤 운전했을때, 남자분이.. 다리에 9mm 권총인가를 장착하고 있다고 하시더라구요. 그래서 저는 꽤 신속하게 차를 멈췄죠, 그런 일도 있었네요.

자, 이제 여러분은 타인의 눈을 통해 사물을 볼 수 있다고 믿으시나요? 이게 오늘 제가 드리는 질문입니다. 여기 계신분들 대부분은 반사적으로 "아니오"라고 하실거에요. 하지만 저의 두 눈은 가리개로 덮여서 아무것도 볼 수 없었다는 사실 또한 고려보세요. 물론 차에는 아무런 특수장치나 속임수는 없었습니다. 여자분이요. 한 번도 만난 적 없던 분입니다. 그러니 한 번 잠시 생각해 보세요. 많은 사람들은 방금 보았던 상황에 대한 논리적 정답을 이끌어 내려 애를 쓸겁니다. 그렇죠. 하지만 인간의 뇌는 속임의 행위에는 훈련이 되지 않았기에 여러분이 떠올려내는 해답의 99 퍼센트는 전부 정답 근처에도 미치지 못할겁니다.

이것은 왜냐하면 마술은 사실 상대의 주의를 조종하는 것이거든요. 가령, 여러분이 제 오른손에 신경을 쓰질 않길 바란다면, 그럼, 우선 저부터가 안보면 됩니다. 하지만 반대의 경우라면. 제가 보고 있으면 됩니다. 그렇죠. 아주 아주 간단하죠. 여러분들도 아시는 얘길겁니다. 아지만 다른 방식으로 응용하면 매우 복잡해집니다.

자, 지금부터 몇가지 실험으로 보여드리겠습니다. 실황이에요. 우선 저를 도와주실 두 분이 필요한데요.. 저 좀 도와주시겠습니까? 그리고, 보자. 이 줄 끝 쪽이요. 올라와서 저 좀 도와주시겠어요? 얼마 안걸려요. 네? 예, 그 줄 끝이요. 좋아요. 두 분이 올라오실 때 큰 박수 부탁드립니다. 예, 거기 계단으로 올라오세요. (박수) 여러분 모두 먼저 아셔야 하는 사실은, 사전에 저희가 짰을 가능성은 없다는 것입니다. 제가 무엇을 할지 모르시는 상태죠, 그렇죠? 좋아요. 자 잠시만 저기에 서 계시겠습니까? 성함이?

니콜이요.

니콜씨요, 그리고 신사분은? (전화 울림)

오, 전화가. 이렇게 하세요. 받으세요, 받아요. (웃음)

여잔가요?

이미 끊어졌어요.

아, 그렇군요. 알겠습니다. 잠시만요. 위치를 바꾸도록 하죠. 이쪽에 서 계시구요. 이렇게 하는게 더 쉬울거에요. 좋아요. 아, 아쉽네요. 그분이 생각한 카드가 스페이드 에이스라고 말할 수 있었는데. 좀 더 가까이 오세요. (웃음) 조금만 더요. (웃음) 좀 더요. 이분들이 무대라 긴장하신 것 같네요. 자 가까이요.

예, 혹시 마법을 믿으시나요?

아니요.

부두(부두교. 마법 등의 주술적인 힘을 믿는 종교) 마술은?

전혀요.

귀신이나 섬뜩한 초자연적 현상들은요?

안믿어요.

음, 그럼 또 뭐가 있지. 아, 아니에요. 자 이 상태로 똑바로 서주시구요. 괜찮으시면 소매도 좀 걷어주시구요. 좋아요, 지금부터 니콜씨는 니콜씨 주위를 감싸는 각각 다른 감각을 인지하셔야 해요. 왜냐하면, 지금부터 부두실험을 할거니까요. 이제부터 느껴지는 감각들을 알아차리시되, 제가 여쭤보기 전까지는 입을 열지 마세요. 또한 눈도 절대 뜨지 마시구요. 자 지금부터, 눈을 감아주세요. 아무 말씀 하지마시고, 눈도 뜨지 마세요. 감각들에 신경을 집중하세요.

네 혹은 아니오로 대답하세요. 뭔가 느꼈나요?

예.

느끼셨다구요? 무엇을 느끼셨죠?

제 등에 뭔가 살짝 닿았던 것 이요.

몇 번이나 느끼셨죠?

두 번이요.

두 번이라. 좋아요. 이제 앞쪽으로 왼손을 쭉 뻗어보세요. 왼손을 뻗으세요. 좋습니다. 자, 그러고 계세요. 감각을 느끼시면서, 아무말도, 눈도 뜨지 마세요. 자, 뭔가 느끼셧나요?

네.

이번엔 뭘 느꼈나요?

세 번의...

뭔가 간질간질한 느낌이었나요?

맞아요.

어느 부위인지 보여주실래요? 좋습니다. 이제 눈을 뜨세요. 전 한 번도 니콜씨 몸에 손댄 적이 없습니다. 전 오직 이 남성분의 등과 팔에만 손을 대었을 뿐입니다. 자, 신비로운 부두마술이었습니다. (웃음) 사실, 이게 제가 나이트클럽에서 즐겨 써먹는 것이에요. (웃음) 저기에 잠시만 앉아 계시구요. 니콜씨와는 잠시 후에 다시 함께 하도록 하구요. 자, 이쪽에 앉아 주시면 고맙겠습니다. 예 여기요.

알았어요.

예, 앉으시구요. 좋아요. 이제 저를 똑 바로 쳐다보세요. 좋습니다. 코로 숨을 크게 들이키시구요. 입으로 내뱉으세요. 편안해 집니다. 눈을 감도록 해요. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 지금 눈을 감으세요. 좋아요. 전 지금 최면을 시도하는 것이 아니에요. 고조된 동시성의 상태로 이끌어 드리려는 겁니다. 그래서 우리 마음이 같은 선 상에 있게 되는 거죠. 이렇게 편안한 상태의 정신세계로 빠지고, 표류하고, 떠다닐때, 자, 제가 당신의 왼 손을 잡을게요, 예, 이 정도 위치에 놓죠.

그 상태로 계세요, 잠시면 되요. 이제 당신의 손을 그저 탁자의 내부로 빠지고, 표류하고, 둥둥 떠다니게 하시길 바랍니다. 그것은, 같은 상태, 속도로 당신이 편안한 인식의 상태로 떠다니고, 표류할때 바로 그때 손을 천천히 쭉 탁자위로 내리시면 되는 겁니다. 간단하죠, 쭉 내리세요. 계속이요, 쭉 내리세요. 조금만 더요, 네, 좀만 더요. 조금만 더, 조금만, 더,더. 훌륭해요. 이젠 손을 탁상위에 단단히 놓으시구요. 좋아요, 그 상태로 계세요. 좋습니다, 이제 잠시 후 어떤 압력을 느끼실 거에요. 그 압력을 느끼시길 바랍니다. 압력을 느끼시면 되요. 그리고 그 압력이 서서히 사라짐을 느낄 때, 그 와 함께 손을 천천히 탁자 위에서 올리시면 됩니다. 오직 그 압력이 서서히 약해질 때만 반응하셔야 합니다. 이해하셨죠? 예, 아니요로만 대답 해주세요. 이해하셨나요?

손은 그대로 두시구요. 좋아요. 다시한번, 이번엔 압력이 약해질때만, 손을 탁자위에서 천천히 내리시는 겁니다. 하지만 압력이 느껴질땐.. (웃음) 좋아요. 아주 잘됐어요. 다시 한번 해보죠.

좋아요. 무슨 실험인지 이제 아시겠죠. 더 흥미로운 시도를 해볼까요. 눈은 계속 감은 상태로 손은 단단히 탁자위에 놓으시구요. 이제 일어나 주시겠어요/ 예, 일어나셔서 그 앞쪽에 서주세요. 이 남성분의 이마를 정확하게 가리키시구요. 좋아요. 이 분과 서로 정신이 통한다고 상상하세요. 압력을 약하게 하고 싶으실땐, 이렇게 손을 위로 올리시구요. 압력을 약하게 하고 싶을 때만입니다. 천천히 하셔도 되지만 압력을 약하게 하고 싶을 때 만입니다. 좋아요. 다시 해볼까요. 자 두 분의 정신이 연결되었다고 상상하세요. 정확히 이마를 가리키시구요. 압력을 약하게 하실 때만 손을 올리시구요, 자 다시 하겠습니다. 좋아요, 이 번에는 성공했군요. 좋습니다. 아, 그러고 계세요. 두 분 다요, 그러고 계세요. 이번엔 반대로 압력을 다시 느끼게 하려면, 손을 아래로 내리세요. 시간에 구애받지 마시구요. 좀 빨리 내리셨지만, 어쨌든 성공입니다. 좋아요.

자, 이제 잠시 후에 제가 손가락을 튕기면, 당신의 눈이 떠집니다. 무슨일이 일어났었는지 기억하는 것을 까먹거나, 반대로 까먹었다는 것을 기억하거나, 상관없어요. 끝나고 사람들이 도대체 무슨일이 벌어진거였냐 묻겠죠. 괜찮아요, 당신이 최면에 걸렸던 것은 아니지만, 일어났던 일들은 다 잊게 될 겁니다. (웃음) 5, 4, 3, 2, 1-- 눈을 뜨세요, 잠에서 깹니다. 자리로 돌아가실 때, 큰 박수 보내주세요. (박수) 네, 이제 돌아가셔도 좋습니다.

부시맨이란 영화를 본 적이 있는데요. 보신 분 있으세요? 명작이죠. (박수) 코카콜라 병을 비행기에서 창 밖으로 던졌는데도, 깨지지 않고 땅에 착 떨어진 장면 기억하시나요? 보세요, 이렇게 단단하기 때문에 콜라병을 깨기란 여간 어려운게 아닙니다. 두들겨 보실래요? 참 잘했어요. 웃음) 위험한 것은 아예 시도도 안하시는 분이시네요;

아시겠지만, 염력이란 물리적 상황과 진행에 반응하는 마음의 초자연적인 영향이죠. 그래서 마술사나 심리주의자들이 숟가락을 휘게하거나 녹이는걸 볼 수 있을거에요. 안될 경우도 있구요. 또 물체를 테이블 위에서 움직이게 할 수도 있지요. 이것 또한 실패의 여지도 있지요. 모든 것은 실험 당일 얼마나 많은 에너지를 가지고 있느냐에 달려있는데요, 뭐, 그런 식이구요. 자 이제 염력 실험을 해보도록 하겠습니다. 이리로 가까이 오세요, 제 옆으로요. 좋습니다.

이제, 이 콜라병을 보세요. 단단한지 확인하시구요, 구멍은 하나인, 그저 일반 콜라병입니다. 원하시면 테이블에 치셔도 되요. 조심하세요. 단단하긴 하지만, 전 멀리 떨어져 있을래요. 좋아요, 이제 두 손가락과 엄지로 이 병을 집으세요. 그렇죠. 자, 여기기 유리 조각 하나가 있습니다. 이 조각 역시 한 번 확인 해보시구요. 날카로우니 조심하시구요. 그대로 잠시만 들고 계세요. 네, 그렇게요.

이제, 오래전에 일어났던 가슴아픈 이별 경험에 대해 생각하세요. 그 헤어짐과 그 당시의 연인에 대한 모든 부정적인 기운을 떠올리시며, 그 기운을 바로 그 유리 조각에 심는다 생각하세요. 그 조각이 바로 그 남자분을 상징하는겁니다. 매우 최대한 천천히 하시는겁니다. 여기 있는 다른 사람은 신경쓰지 마시고, 유리 조각만 응시하세요. 응시 중, 어떤 기운이 느껴지실거에요. 그 기운이 느껴지는 순간, 병 안으로 유리조각을 떨어뜨려 주세요. 그 남자분을 생각하세요, 그 나쁘..아니 그 남자분이요. (웃음) 착한척 좀 하고 있습니다. 아무튼, 그 기운이 느껴질 때, 병 안으로 떨어뜨리세요, 시간이 걸릴 수도 있습니다. 좋아요. 떨어뜨리세요.

자 이제 조각안에 전해진 그 모든 부정적인 기운을 떠올리세요. 그 남자분의 이름, 그의 모든 것을 떠올리세요. 이제 병을 양 옆으로 흔들면서 그 나쁜 기억을들 내보내세요. (웃음) 이럴수가! 정말 쌓였던게 많았나 보네요! (웃음) (박수) 이제 제 얼굴을 보시면서 그 남자분의 이름을 떠올리세요. 이름, 기억하시겠죠? 좋아요. 이름이 몇개의 알파벳으로 되어있는지, 또 성은 어떤지 생각하세요. 알파벳 다섯 글자로 이루어져 있군요. 반응이 없는 걸 보니, 네 글자네요. 그 중 알파벳 하나를 생각하세요. 하나를요. K로 시작되는군요, K가 보여요. 어찌 아냐구요, 제 이름도 K로 시작하거든요. 음, 하지만 틀린것 같고, M이었군요. 혹시 만나게 되거든 Mike씨에게 안부 전해주세요. 이름이 맞나요?

네 좋아요. 큰 박수 부탁드립니다. (박수) 고맙습니다. (박수) 한가지 실험을 더 해보도록 하겠습니다. 사실, 크리스씨를 도우미로 모실까 했는데, 그러지 말고, 이리 오셔서 직접 도우미를 뽑아주시겠어요? 한 가지, 남자분만 뽑으셔야 합니다.

알겠어요.

크리스씨를 여기서 안쓰는 건, 사실 내년에도 TED에 참가하고 싶기 때문이에요. (웃음)

"Eureka"에 대한 보답과, 마이클 메르씰씨를 강연자로 모시는데 큰 역할을 하신, 스티브씨입니다.

좋아요. 자 이리 올라오세요. (박수)

알고 계셨군요!

좋아요. 스티브씨 여기 앉으세요, 좋습니다. 자, 테이블 아래도 확인해 주시구요. 어서요. 아래에는 화려한 마술 장치 따위는 없습니다. 마술사니까 사람들은 무언가 숨겼다고 생각하지만, 그저 검은 테이블보만 있을 뿐입니다. 좋습니다. (웃음) 스티브씨, 여기 네개의 플린스 블록이 있습니다. 하나, 둘, 셋, 총 네개죠. 보시는 대로, 하나를 제외하곤 전부 똑같이 생겼죠 그 나머지 하나에는 뾰족한 쇠못이 박혀 있습니다. 자 한번 보세요. 단단한지도 확인해 보시구요. 좋으세요?

아아..예.

좋아요. 이제 제가 탁자 앞으로 가서 서겠습니다. 제가 탁자 앞에 서면, 이런식으로 컵을 블록위에 놓아 주세요. 순서 상관없이 놓으시고, 위치를 잘 섞어주세요. 그러니 아무도 못 박힌 블록의 위치는 모르시겠죠? 여기 계신 모든 분들 다요?

그래요, 그리고 조금 더 도와드리자면, 이렇게 시야를 막을께요. 아무도 당신의 행동을 보지 못합니다. 저 역시 고개를 돌릴께요. 자, 컵 놓으시고 섞어주세요. 다 되시면 말씀해주세요. (웃음) 다 하셨나요?

아.. 거의 다요.

거의 다라, 좋아요. 확실히 숨겨 놓으셨겠죠. 이제.. 오, 대단하군요. 기발해요. (박수) 좋아요, 이렇게 두도록 하죠. (웃음) 웃는 것도 이게 마지막일겁니다. (웃음) 자, 스티브씨는 못이 어디 있는지 아시죠. 하지만 스티브씨를 제외하곤 아무도 모르겠죠? 하지만 스티브씨도 모르시면 좋겠군요. 자 몸을 돌리세요. 여기 계신분들이 제가 허튼짓을 하는지 안하는지 지켜보실 겁니다. 아니, 아직은 그대로 계세요. 자 이제 고개를 돌리세요. 이젠 정말 못이 어디있는지 모르시겠죠. 또한 저도 마찬가지이구요, 그렇죠. 이 눈가리개를 하고 앞을 볼 수 있을까요?

쓰라구요?

아니요, 가능성을 여쭤보는 거에요.

글쎄..

없겠죠?

예, 볼 방도가 없겠네요.

볼 방도가 없죠. 좋습니다. 자 이제 제가 이 눈가리개를 할께요. 아까처럼 그렇게 쌓지 마시구요. 조금만 더 섞어주세요. 그렇다고 컵을 들어 올리진 마세요. 못이 어딨는지 보면 안되니까요. 조금 더 섞어주세요. 그리고 이렇게, 이런식으로 정렬시켜 주시구요. 아셨죠? 전 눈가리개를 할께요. 자 섞어주세요. 이번엔 장난치지 마시구요. 예, 섞으세요. 제 손에 사람 목숨이 달렸네요. (웃음) 다 되시면 말씀하세요.

다 했어요.

좋아요. 어디 계시죠? 손을 뻗어주세요. 오른손인가요? 아 좋아요. 컵 위로 손이 위치하면 말해주세요.

컵 위에요.

컵 위군요, 맞죠?

네.

자, 못이 여기 있을까요? 예 아니오로만 답하세요.

이런! (웃음)

웃는것도 마지막이라고 말씀 드렸잖아요. (웃음)

여기는 아닌 것 같은데요.

아니라? 좋은결정입니다. (웃음) (박수) 자 이쪽으로 가면 컵이 있나요? 저, 왼손으로 하면 안될까요?

무슨말씀을. 지금 왼손으로 하자고 하셨나요. 절대 안됩니다. (웃음)

자 이쪽에 컵이 있나요?

예, 여기에 컵이 있어요.

멈추라고 말씀하세요.

됐어요.

여기요?

예, 거기 컵이 있어요.

그럼 못이 여기 있을까요? 없을까요? 결정은 제 몫이 아닙니다. (웃음)

으, 없을 것 같아요.

잘 결정하셨네요. (웃음) 좋아요. 두 손 다 주세요. 이제 양 손 다 컵 위에 올려놓으세요. 왼손 아래에 못이 있을까요, 아니면 오른손 아래에 있을까요?

아, 아무데도 없어요.

둘 다 아니라, 재밌군요. 하지만 선택하셔야만 하는 상황이죠, 지금. (웃음)

오른손 아래에 있을것 같아요. 오른손 아래에 있을것 같다고 하셨나요? 기억하세요, 여태까지 쭉 본인의 결정으로 온 겁니다. 심리학자들은 결국 이리 되리라 알고 있었죠. 보실까요.

오! (박수) 고맙습니다.

감사합니다. 혹시 끝나고 마술 더 보고 싶으신 분들은 오세요. 밖에 있을테니까요. 고맙습니다. (박수) 고맙습니다.

대단히 고맙습니다. (박수)

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수sort
40 Terry Moore: How to tie your shoes chanyi 5327
39 Richard Dawkins: Militant atheism chanyi 3744
38 Sarah Kay: If I should have a daughter ... chanyi 3451
37 Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability chanyi 3135
36 Rives: If I controlled the Internet chanyi 2248
35 Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model. chanyi 1813
34 Shane Koyczan: 'To This Day' ... for the bullied and beautiful chanyi 1557
33 Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice . chanyi 1545
32 Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story chanyi 1504
31 The LXD: In the Internet age, dance evolves ... chanyi 1462
30 Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius chanyi 1432
» Keith Barry: Brain magic chanyi 1427
28 Theo Jansen: My creations, a new form of life chanyi 1324
27 Vijay Kumar: Robots that fly ... and cooperate chanyi 1313
26 Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters chanyi 1179
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화