You cannot see this page without javascript.

Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius

조회 수 1432 추천 수 0 2014.01.19 22:15:46

"Eat, Pray, Love" Author Elizabeth Gilbert muses on the impossible things we expect from artists and geniuses -- and shares the radical idea that, instead of the rare person "being" a genius, all of us "have" a genius. It's a funny, personal and surprisingly moving talk.
정말 찾기 힘든 당신의 창의적인 '지니어스'

I am a writer. Writing books is my profession but it's more than that, of course. It is also my great lifelong love and fascination. And I don't expect that that's ever going to change. But, that said, something kind of peculiar has happened recently in my life and in my career,which has caused me to have to recalibrate my whole relationship with this work. And the peculiar thing is that I recently wrote this book, this memoir called "Eat, Pray, Love" which, decidedly unlike any of my previous books, went out in the world for some reason, and became this big, mega-sensation, international bestseller thing. The result of which is that everywhere I go now, people treat me like I'm doomed. Seriously -- doomed, doomed! Like, they come up to me now, all worried, and they say, "Aren't you afraid you're never going to be able to top that? Aren't you afraid you're going to keep writing for your whole life and you're never again going to create a book that anybody in the world cares about at all, ever again?"

So that's reassuring, you know. But it would be worse, except for that I happen to remember that over 20 years ago, when I first started telling people -- when I was a teenager -- that I wanted to be a writer, I was met with this same kind of, sort of fear-based reaction. And people would say, "Aren't you afraid you're never going to have any success? Aren't you afraid the humiliation of rejection will kill you? Aren't you afraid that you're going to work your whole life at this craft and nothing's ever going to come of it and you're going to die on a scrap heap of broken dreams with your mouth filled with bitter ash of failure?" (Laughter)Like that, you know.

The answer -- the short answer to all those questions is, "Yes." Yes, I'm afraid of all those things. And I always have been. And I'm afraid of many, many more things besides that people can't even guess at, like seaweed and other things that are scary. But, when it comes to writing, the thing that I've been sort of thinking about lately, and wondering about lately, is why? You know, is it rational? Is it logical that anybody should be expected to be afraid of the work that they feel they were put on this Earth to do. And what is it specifically about creative ventures that seems to make us really nervous about each other's mental health in a way that other careers kind of don't do, you know? Like my dad, for example, was a chemical engineer and I don't recall once in his 40 years of chemical engineeringanybody asking him if he was afraid to be a chemical engineer, you know? It didn't -- that chemical-engineering block, John, how's it going? It just didn't come up like that, you know?But to be fair, chemical engineers as a group haven't really earned a reputation over the centuries for being alcoholic manic-depressives. (Laughter)

We writers, we kind of do have that reputation, and not just writers, but creative people across all genres, it seems, have this reputation for being enormously mentally unstable.And all you have to do is look at the very grim death count in the 20th century alone, of really magnificent creative minds who died young and often at their own hands, you know?And even the ones who didn't literally commit suicide seem to be really undone by their gifts, you know. Norman Mailer, just before he died, last interview, he said "Every one of my books has killed me a little more." An extraordinary statement to make about your life's work. But we don't even blink when we hear somebody say this because we've heard that kind of stuff for so long and somehow we've completely internalized and accepted collectively this notion that creativity and suffering are somehow inherently linked and that artistry, in the end, will always ultimately lead to anguish.

And the question that I want to ask everybody here today is are you guys all cool with that idea? Are you comfortable with that? Because you look at it even from an inch away and, you know ... I'm not at all comfortable with that assumption. I think it's odious. And I also think it's dangerous, and I don't want to see it perpetuated into the next century. I think it's better if we encourage our great creative minds to live.

And I definitely know that, in my case -- in my situation -- it would be very dangerous for me to start sort of leaking down that dark path of assumption, particularly given the circumstance that I'm in right now in my career. Which is -- you know, like check it out, I'm pretty young, I'm only about 40 years old. I still have maybe another four decades of work left in me. And it's exceedingly likely that anything I write from this point forward is going to be judged by the world as the work that came after the freakish success of my last book, right? I should just put it bluntly, because we're all sort of friends here now -- it's exceedingly likely that my greatest success is behind me. So Jesus, what a thought! That's the kind of thought that could lead a person to start drinking gin at nine o'clock in the morning, and I don't want to go there. (Laughter) I would prefer to keep doing this work that I love.

And so, the question becomes, how? And so, it seems to me, upon a lot of reflection, that the way that I have to work now, in order to continue writing, is that I have to create some sort of protective psychological construct, right? I have to sort of find some way to have a safe distance between me, as I am writing, and my very natural anxiety about what the reaction to that writing is going to be, from now on. And, as I've been looking over the last year for models for how to do that I've been sort of looking across time, and I've been trying to find other societies to see if they might have had better and saner ideas than we haveabout how to help creative people, sort of manage the inherent emotional risks of creativity.

And that search has led me to ancient Greece and ancient Rome. So stay with me, because it does circle around and back. But, ancient Greece and ancient Rome -- people did not happen to believe that creativity came from human beings back then, O.K.? People believed that creativity was this divine attendant spirit that came to human beings from some distant and unknowable source, for distant and unknowable reasons. The Greeks famously called these divine attendant spirits of creativity "daemons." Socrates, famously, believed that he had a daemon who spoke wisdom to him from afar. The Romans had the same idea, but they called that sort of disembodied creative spirit a genius. Which is great, because the Romans did not actually think that a genius was a particularly clever individual.They believed that a genius was this, sort of magical divine entity, who was believed to literally live in the walls of an artist's studio, kind of like Dobby the house elf, and who would come out and sort of invisibly assist the artist with their work and would shape the outcome of that work.

So brilliant -- there it is, right there, that distance that I'm talking about -- that psychological construct to protect you from the results of your work. And everyone knew that this is how it functioned, right? So the ancient artist was protected from certain things, like, for example, too much narcissism, right? If your work was brilliant you couldn't take all the credit for it,everybody knew that you had this disembodied genius who had helped you. If your work bombed, not entirely your fault, you know? Everyone knew your genius was kind of lame.And this is how people thought about creativity in the West for a really long time.

And then the Renaissance came and everything changed, and we had this big idea, and the big idea was let's put the individual human being at the center of the universe above all gods and mysteries, and there's no more room for mystical creatures who take dictation from the divine. And it's the beginning of rational humanism, and people started to believe that creativity came completely from the self of the individual. And for the first time in history,you start to hear people referring to this or that artist as being a genius rather than having a genius.

And I got to tell you, I think that was a huge error. You know, I think that allowing somebody, one mere person to believe that he or she is like, the vessel, you know, like the font and the essence and the source of all divine, creative, unknowable, eternal mystery is just a smidge too much responsibility to put on one fragile, human psyche. It's like asking somebody to swallow the sun. It just completely warps and distorts egos, and it creates all these unmanageable expectations about performance. And I think the pressure of that has been killing off our artists for the last 500 years.

And, if this is true, and I think it is true, the question becomes, what now? Can we do this differently? Maybe go back to some more ancient understanding about the relationship between humans and the creative mystery. Maybe not. Maybe we can't just erase 500 years of rational humanistic thought in one 18 minute speech. And there's probably people in this audience who would raise really legitimate scientific suspicions about the notion of, basically fairies who follow people around rubbing fairy juice on their projects and stuff. I'm not, probably, going to bring you all along with me on this.

But the question that I kind of want to pose is -- you know, why not? Why not think about it this way? Because it makes as much sense as anything else I have ever heard in terms of explaining the utter maddening capriciousness of the creative process. A process which, as anybody who has ever tried to make something -- which is to say basically everyone here ---knows does not always behave rationally. And, in fact, can sometimes feel downright paranormal.

I had this encounter recently where I met the extraordinary American poet Ruth Stone,who's now in her 90s, but she's been a poet her entire life and she told me that when she was growing up in rural Virginia, she would be out working in the fields, and she said she would feel and hear a poem coming at her from over the landscape. And she said it was like a thunderous train of air. And it would come barreling down at her over the landscape. And she felt it coming, because it would shake the earth under her feet. She knew that she had only one thing to do at that point, and that was to, in her words, "run like hell." And she would run like hell to the house and she would be getting chased by this poem, and the whole deal was that she had to get to a piece of paper and a pencil fast enough so that when it thundered through her, she could collect it and grab it on the page. And other times she wouldn't be fast enough, so she'd be running and running and running, and she wouldn't get to the house and the poem would barrel through her and she would miss it and she said it would continue on across the landscape, looking, as she put it "for another poet." And then there were these times -- this is the piece I never forgot -- she said that there were moments where she would almost miss it, right? So, she's running to the house and she's looking for the paper and the poem passes through her, and she grabs a pencil just as it's going through her, and then she said, it was like she would reach out with her other handand she would catch it. She would catch the poem by its tail, and she would pull it backwards into her body as she was transcribing on the page. And in these instances, the poem would come up on the page perfect and intact but backwards, from the last word to the first. (Laughter)

So when I heard that I was like -- that's uncanny, that's exactly what my creative process is like. (Laughter)

That's not at all what my creative process is -- I'm not the pipeline! I'm a mule, and the way that I have to work is that I have to get up at the same time every day, and sweat and labor and barrel through it really awkwardly. But even I, in my mulishness, even I have brushed up against that thing, at times. And I would imagine that a lot of you have too. You know, even I have had work or ideas come through me from a source that I honestly cannot identify. And what is that thing? And how are we to relate to it in a way that will not make us lose our minds, but, in fact, might actually keep us sane?

And for me, the best contemporary example that I have of how to do that is the musician Tom Waits, who I got to interview several years ago on a magazine assignment. And we were talking about this, and you know, Tom, for most of his life he was pretty much the embodiment of the tormented contemporary modern artist, trying to control and manage and dominate these sort of uncontrollable creative impulses that were totally internalized.

But then he got older, he got calmer, and one day he was driving down the freeway in Los Angeles he told me, and this is when it all changed for him. And he's speeding along, and all of a sudden he hears this little fragment of melody, that comes into his head as inspiration often comes, elusive and tantalizing, and he wants it, you know, it's gorgeous,and he longs for it, but he has no way to get it. He doesn't have a piece of paper, he doesn't have a pencil, he doesn't have a tape recorder.

So he starts to feel all of that old anxiety start to rise in him like, "I'm going to lose this thing, and then I'm going to be haunted by this song forever. I'm not good enough, and I can't do it." And instead of panicking, he just stopped. He just stopped that whole mental process and he did something completely novel. He just looked up at the sky, and he said,"Excuse me, can you not see that I'm driving?" (Laughter) "Do I look like I can write down a song right now? If you really want to exist, come back at a more opportune moment when I can take care of you. Otherwise, go bother somebody else today. Go bother Leonard Cohen."

And his whole work process changed after that. Not the work, the work was still oftentimes as dark as ever. But the process, and the heavy anxiety around it was released when he took the genie, the genius out of him where it was causing nothing but trouble, and released it kind of back where it came from, and realized that this didn't have to be this internalized, tormented thing. It could be this peculiar, wondrous, bizarre collaboration kind of conversation between Tom and the strange, external thing that was not quite Tom.

So when I heard that story it started to shift a little bit the way that I worked too, and it already saved me once. This idea, it saved me when I was in the middle of writing "Eat, Pray, Love," and I fell into one of those, sort of pits of despair that we all fall into when we're working on something and it's not coming and you start to think this is going to be a disaster, this is going to be the worst book ever written. Not just bad, but the worst book ever written. And I started to think I should just dump this project. But then I remembered Tom talking to the open air and I tried it. So I just lifted my face up from the manuscript and I directed my comments to an empty corner of the room. And I said aloud, "Listen you, thing, you and I both know that if this book isn't brilliant that is not entirely my fault, right?Because you can see that I am putting everything I have into this, I don't have any more than this. So if you want it to be better, then you've got to show up and do your part of the deal. O.K. But if you don't do that, you know what, the hell with it. I'm going to keep writing anyway because that's my job. And I would please like the record to reflect today that I showed up for my part of the job." (Laughter)

Because -- (Applause) in the end it's like this, O.K. -- centuries ago in the deserts of North Africa, people used to gather for these moonlight dances of sacred dance and music that would go on for hours and hours, until dawn. And they were always magnificent, because the dancers were professionals and they were terrific, right? But every once in a while, very rarely, something would happen, and one of these performers would actually become transcendent. And I know you know what I'm talking about, because I know you've all seen, at some point in your life, a performance like this. It was like time would stop, and the dancer would sort of step through some kind of portal and he wasn't doing anything different than he had ever done, 1,000 nights before, but everything would align. And all of a sudden, he would no longer appear to be merely human. He would be lit from within, and lit from below and all lit up on fire with divinity.

And when this happened, back then, people knew it for what it was, you know, they called it by its name. They would put their hands together and they would start to chant, "Allah, Allah, Allah, God, God, God." That's God, you know. Curious historical footnote -- when the Moors invaded southern Spain, they took this custom with them and the pronunciation changed over the centuries from "Allah, Allah, Allah," to "Olé, olé, olé," which you still hear in bullfights and in flamenco dances. In Spain, when a performer has done something impossible and magic, "Allah, olé, olé, Allah, magnificent, bravo," incomprehensible, there it is -- a glimpse of God. Which is great, because we need that.

But, the tricky bit comes the next morning, for the dancer himself, when he wakes up and discovers that it's Tuesday at 11 a.m., and he's no longer a glimpse of God. He's just an aging mortal with really bad knees, and maybe he's never going to ascend to that height again. And maybe nobody will ever chant God's name again as he spins, and what is he then to do with the rest of his life? This is hard. This is one of the most painful reconciliations to make in a creative life. But maybe it doesn't have to be quite so full of anguish if you never happened to believe, in the first place, that the most extraordinary aspects of your being came from you. But maybe if you just believed that they were on loan to you from some unimaginable source for some exquisite portion of your life to be passed along when you're finished, with somebody else. And, you know, if we think about it this way it starts to change everything.

This is how I've started to think, and this is certainly how I've been thinking in the last few months as I've been working on the book that will soon be published, as the dangerously, frighteningly over-anticipated follow up to my freakish success.

And what I have to, sort of keep telling myself when I get really psyched out about that, is, don't be afraid. Don't be daunted. Just do your job. Continue to show up for your piece of it, whatever that might be. If your job is to dance, do your dance. If the divine, cockeyed genius assigned to your case decides to let some sort of wonderment be glimpsed, for just one moment through your efforts, then "Olé!" And if not, do your dance anyhow. And "Olé!" to you, nonetheless. I believe this and I feel that we must teach it. "Olé!" to you, nonetheless,just for having the sheer human love and stubbornness to keep showing up.

Thank you. (Applause) Thank you. (Applause)

June Cohen: Olé! (Applause)

저는 글을 쓰는 사람입니다. 책을 쓰는 것이 저의 직업이기는 하지만, 물론 그보다 더 큰 의미가 있지요. 책을 쓰는 것이 제 생애에 걸친 열정과 호기심의 대상이니까요. 이러한 저의 열정은 앞으로도 변하지 않을 것입니다. 하여튼 근래에 제 생활과 경력에 어떤 일이 생기면서제 자신과 제가 하는 일의 관계에 대한 근본적인 생각을 하게 되었습니다. 제가 방금 말한 그 어떤일이라는 것은 제가 얼마전에 "먹고, 기도하고, 사랑하라"라는 회고록을 썼는데 지금까지 제가 썼던 책들과는 전혀 달리 왜 그랬는지는 모르겠지만 하여튼 엄청나게 센세이셔널한국제적 베스트 셀러가 됐습니다. 그 결과 지금은 제가 어디를 가더래도 사람들이 저를 더 이상 희망이 없는 인간처럼 취급합니다. 정말입니다, 파멸을 당할 사람으로 취급해요! 이들은 걱정스러운 얼굴로 저한테 다가와 말합니다: "앞으로 이것보다 더 훌륭한 책을 쓴다는 것은 불가능 할텐데 그것이 두렵지 않니?" "앞으로 너는 남은 평생동안 계속 책쓰는 일을 할텐데단 한명이라도 관심을 가져줄 수 있는 책을 앞으로 단 한권도 못 쓸지 모른다는 생각이 두렵지 않니? 단 한권도 말아야!"

참 용기가 무럭무럭나게 하는 격려의 말들이지요. 약 20년도 더 전에, 그러니까 제가 10대 였을때 저는 커서 작가가 되고 싶다고 말을 했었는데 그때에도 주위 사람들이 지금과 같이 공포에 의거한 반응을 저한테 보였던 기억이 납니다. 사람들은 저한테 "작가로 성공하지 못할지도 모르는데, 두렵지 않니?" "거절로 인한 수모들이 결국 너를 망칠지도 모르는데, 두렵지 않니?" "모든 삶을 받쳐서 오직 작가의 길만을 걸었는데도 글같은 글은 한줄도 쓰지 못하고쓰디쓴 실패의 재를 입안에 잔뜩 물고 산더미 같은 깨어진 꿈의 쓰레기 위에 엎어져 비참한 죽음을 맞을지 모르는데, 무섭지 않아?" (웃음) 뭐, 이런 식이었죠.

이러한 질문에 대한 제 대답은 간단합니다. "네". 네, 전 이 모든 것들이 겁이납니다. 사실 저는 항상 그런것들을 두려워해 왔어요. 그런것들 뿐만 아니라 사실 저는 보통 사람들은 상상도 못하는 다른 많은 것들도 두려워 하고 있지요. 심지어는 해초 같은 것들도 저는 무섭답니다. 어쨋건 다시 글쓰는 이야기로 돌아와서, 제가 요즘 생각하고, 알고 싶은 것은 왜 글쓰는 것을 두려워하냐는 것입니다. 이것이 합리적인 두려움인가요? 자신이 이 세상에 태어나게된 이유라고 느껴지는 일을 하는 것을 두렵게 생각해야 한다는 것이 이치에 맞는 것일까요? 또, 도대체 창의적인 직업이라는 것이 무엇이 특별하길래 우리들은 많은 다른 종류의 직업을 가진 사람들에 대해서는 안그러면서 왜 창의적인 직업을 가진 사람들의 정신 건강에 대해서는 걱정을 할까요? 예를 들면, 제 아버님은 화공학자이셨어요. 제 아버지는 40년동안 화공학자로 일하셨는데 저는 누가 제 아버지한테 화공학자로 일하는 것이 두렵지 않냐고 묻는 것을 들은 적이 한번도 없었어요. "죤씨, 화공학자의 슬럼프가 좀 어떠십니까?", 저는 이런말은 들어본적이 없어요. 작가의 슬럼프라는 말은 있어도 화공학자의 슬럼프라는 말은 없지요. 하긴 뭐, 지난 수 세기동안 화공학자들이 알콜 중독자 겸 조울증 환자라는 명성을 따지는 못했으니깐요. (웃음)

하지만 우리 작가들은 그런 평판을 가지고 있지요. 사실은 작가들 뿐만 아니라 모든 장르의 예술가들도 정신적으로 매우 불안정하다는 평판이 있지 않은가 생각합니다. 20세기에 위대한 창의력을 가진 얼마나 많은 사람들이 요절했거나 또는 심지어는 스스로 젊은 목숨을 끊었는지를 생각하면 이들이 겪은 심적 고통을 잘 이해할 수 있습니다. 그리고 실제로 자살을 하지 않은 사람들도 그들이 타고난 재능 때문에 많은 불행을 겪었던 것으로 알고 있습니다. 노먼 메일러는 죽기 직전에 한 마지막 인터뷰에서 "내가 쓴 모든 책 하나 하나가 나를 조금씩 조금씩 죽였다." 라고 말했죠. 어떻게 자신의 생애를 바쳐서 쓴 작품들에게 그렇게 말 할 수 있었을까요. 하지만 우리는 이런 말을 들을때 눈하나 깜빡하지 않지요. 왜냐하면 우리는 이런말을 오래동안 들어왔고 또 창의성과 고통은 그 본질상 상호 연결성이 있는 것이며, 예술적 재능은 결국 번민으로 이어지게 마련이라는 진다는 사고방식을 우리 모두가 내면화하고 받아들였기 때문이지요.

그런데 제가 오늘 여러분께 묻고 싶은 것은 그런 사고방식을 어떻게 생각하시냐는 것입니다.그런 관념이 옳다고 생각하세요? 그 관념이 옳은지 틀렸는지는 조금만 멀리 거리를 두고 생각해도 곧 알 수 있지요. 저는 이런 관념을 받아들이기가 정말로 힘듭니다. 저는 이런 관념이 가증스럽다고 생각합니다. 또 위험하기도 하다고 생각합니다. 그리고 저는 다음 세기까지 이런 관념이 계속돼서는 안된다고 생각합니다. 저는 창의적인 인재들이 살수 있도록 우리들이 도와줘야 한다고 생각합니다.

제 경우, 제 입장에서 확실하게 말씀드릴 수 있는 것은 제가 위와 같은 사고방식을 계속 가지고 암흑의 길을 계속 걸어가는 것은 지금과 같은 제 경력의 위태로운 시점에서는 매우 위험한 일이라고 생각합니다. 다시 말씀드리자면, 저는 비교적 젊은 편입니다. 저는 약 40살 정도 밖에 안되니까 아마도 40년 정도는 계속해서 글을 쓸 수 있지 않을까 합니다. 그런데 제가 앞으로 어떤 책을 쓰던지 모든 사람들은 그책을 어쩌다가 운 좋게 베스트셀러가 된 저의 가장 최근의 책 이후에 나온 책이라고 하며 비교할 것입니다. 그쵸? 여러분과는 친구같은 사이니까 있는 그대로 솔찍히 말씀을 드리겠는데 저는 작가로서의 정상을 이미 지나 간것이 거의 확실합니다. 아이고 참 끔찍한 생각입니다! 이런 생각에 빠지면 누구라도 아침 9시 부터 혼자 고독의 술잔을 들기 쉬운데 저는 그렇게 되고 싶지 않습니다. (웃음) 저는 제가 그렇게도 좋아하는 글쓰는 일을 계속하고 싶습니다.

문제는 어떻게 하면 제가 앞으로 계속 작가로 일을 할 수 있냐는 것입니다. 제가 심사숙고한 결과에 의하면 제가 계속해서 글을 쓸수 있으려면 심리적으로 제 자신을 보호할 수 있는 어떤 방안이 필요하다는 결론을 내렸습니다. 앞으로 제가 글을 쓸때 그 글에 대한 반응이 어떨까 하는 지극히 자연스러운 걱정으로 부터 저를 안전하게 보호해 줄 수 있는 어떤 방안이 필요하다는 생각이지요. 저는 그래서 지난 일년간 그런 방안들을 찾을려고 노력을 했습니다.그래서 저는 역사적인 관점에서 볼때 지난 사회의 사람들은 지금 우리들이 하는 것보다 더 합리적이고 좋은 방법으로 창의적인 일에 자연히 따르게 되는 감정적인 위험을 관리했는지 알아보았습니다.

저의 연구는 저를 고대의 그리스와 고대의 로마 사회로 데려갔습니다. 곧 다시 제 이야기의 본론으로 돌아갈테니 조금만 더 들어주세요. 고대 그리스와 고대 로마 사회에서는 창의성이라는 것은 우리 인간으로 부터 나오는 것이 아니라고 믿었지요. 그 당시의 사람들은 창의성이라는 것은 멀리있는 미지의 어떤 곳으로 부터 어떤 불가지한 이유로 창의적인 일을 하는 사람을 찾아와서 도와 주는 신성한 혼이라고 믿었지요. 그리스인들은 창의성을 가져다 주는 신성한 혼을 "디먼"이라고 불렀습니다. 소크라테스는 먼 거리로 부터 "디먼"이 자기에게 지혜의 말을 해준다고 믿었다는 것은 널리 알려진 이야기 이지요. 로마 사람들도 이와같은 아이디어를 가지고 있었지만 그들은 이와같이 육체에서 분리된 창의적인 혼을 "지니어스"라고 불렀지요. 저는 로마 사람들에게는 "지니어스"라는 말이 천재를 의미하지 않았었다는 사실이 아주 마음에 듭니다. 그들은 "지니어스"라는 것은 실제로 예술가의 스튜디오의 벽안에서 살고 있는 마술적인 신성한 혼, 즉 다시 말하자면 일종의 "도비" 집요정과 비슷한 것이라고 믿었으며 "지니어스"는 예술가가 일할때 몰래 벽에서 나와서 그들의 일을 도아주고 그 작품의 결과를 정해 준다고 믿었지요.

제가 앞에서 말씀드렸던 작품의 결과로 부터 작가를 보호하려면 어떤 심리적인 개념 또는 어떤 거리를 두는 것이 필요하다는 말이 바로 이런 말입니다. 로마 시대의 사람들은 "지니어스"라는 것을 다 이런식으로 생각했었지요. 이런 개념은 과도한 자아도취 같은 것으로 부터고대의 예술가들을 보호해 주었지요. 그렇게 생각하지 않으세요? 즉, 작품의 결과가 아주 좋은 경우 예술가 혼자 모든 칭찬을 다 받을 수 없었지요. 왜냐하면, 모든 사람들이 그 예술가의 육체로부터 분리된 별도의 존재 "지니어스"가 그를 도아준것을 알고 있었기 때문이죠. 그 반면, 엉터리 작품이 나와도 모든것이 그 예술가의 잘못이 아니었지요. 그때도 "지니어스" 좀 게을렀단 것을 누구나 다 알았으니깐요. 서양에서는 정말로 오랜 기간을 통해 창의성을 이런식으로 생각했어요.

그러다가 르네상스 시대가 오면서 모든것이 달라졌지요. 우리는 그때 신이라든가 신비같은것을 제쳐놓고 각 개인을 우주의 중심에 놓는다는 거창한 아이디어를 가지면서 신성한 혼 같은 것의 도움이 필요하지 않게 되었지요. 이것이 합리적 인간주의의 시작이었고 이때부터 사람들은 창의성의 전부가 각 개인으로 부터 직접 나온다고 믿게 되었지요. 그래서 인류 역사상 처음으로 어떤 예술가가 "지니어스"를 가졌다고 말하지 않고 그 예술가 자신이 "지니어스"라고 말하기 시작했습니다.

저는 이런 개념은 완전히 잘못된 개념이라고 생각합니다. 하나의 인간에 불과하는 어느 한 예술가가 모든 신성함, 창의성 그리고 영구한 신비성의 원천이며 또 그러한 정수를 보관하고 있는 원천이라고 생각하고 기대하는 것은 하나의 연약한 인간에 불과한 그 예술가에게 태양을 삼켜 먹으라고 요구하는 것이나 마찬가지 라고 생각합니다. 물론 그것은 약간 지나친 요구이겠지요. "지니어스"에 대한 현대 개념은 자아를 완전히 왜곡시키고 예술가들이 성취할 수 있는 한계에 대한 불가능한 기대를 가지게 합니다. 그리고 저는 이와같은 무리한 기대로 인해 발생하는 스트레스가 지난 500년간 우리의 예술가들을 죽여왔다고 생각합니다.

만약에 그것이 사실이라면, 그리고 저는 그것이 사실이라고 생각하는데, 우리는 지금 어떠한 행동을 취해야 할까요? 어떤 변화가 필요할까요? 인간과 창의의 신비에 대한 고대의 개념을다시 받아드리는 것이 가능할까요? 글쎄요. 아마도 지난 500년간 내려온 합리적 인간주의 개념을 18분짜리 강연하나로 바꾸는 것은 불가능하겠지요. 만약에 제가 예술가을 따라 다니며 그들의 작품에 일종의 요정쥬스 같은것을 발라주는 요정들이 있다는 이야기를 한다면, 그말에 대해 과학적 의문들을 제기하는 분들이 있을지 모르겠습니다. 모든 사람들이 제 의견에 동의하지는 않겠지요.

그러나 제가 여러분께 드리고 싶은 질문은 왜 그렇게 생각을 할 수 없냐는 것입니다. 왜 그렇게 생각을 할 수 없나요? 저는 다른 어떤 아이디어 보다도 이런 고대의 개념들이 미칠 정도로 변덕스러운 창의적인 과정을 잘 설명 할 수 있다고 봅니다. 창의성을 경험해 보신 여러분들은 이미 다 아시는 사실이지만 근본적으로 말해서 창의성이라는 것과 합리적이라는 것은 언제나 일치하는 것이 아니라는 것입니다. 사실 어떤때는 창의성이라는 것이 초정상현상 같다는 느낌이 들때도 있지요.

제가 얼마전에 특출한 미국 시인이신 루스 스톤씨를 만났는데 현재 90대인 그녀는 전 평생을 시인으로 지내셨지요. 그런데 스톤 여사가 말씀하시기로 그녀는 버지니아의 시골에서 자라나며 종종 밭에서 일을 했는데 그녀는 저 지평선으로 부터 시가 그녀를 향해 달려오는 것을온 몸으로 느낄때가 있었다고 말했어요. 그것은 마치 요란한 돌풍 같았다고 합니다. 그 돌풍은 대지 위를 날며 그녀를 향해 똑바로 달려왔는데 그럴때는 그녀의 발밑에 있는 땅이 울리는것 같았다고 합니다. 그러면 그녀는 그순간 하던 일을 모두 떨구고 그녀의 말마따나 죽자고 뛰어서 집으로 곧바로 달려갔고 바로 그의 뒤로 돌풍 같이 시가 쫒아왔다고 합니다. 그러면 그녀는 재빨리 연필과 종이를 손에 잡고 그 시가 천둥소리 처럼 그녀를 뚫고 지나가는 순간 그 시를 손으로 잡아서 종이에 옮겨야 했답니다. 그런데 어떤때는 그녀의 행동이 느려서죽어라 하고 뛰었는데도 미처 집에 도달하지 못하면 그 시는 그냥 그녀를 꿰뚫고 지나가버려서 그 시를 놓치게 되고 그 시는, 그녀의 말에 의하면, 다시 다른 시인을 찾으려고 돌풍과 같이 날아 갔다고 합니다. 그런데 어떨때는 저는 그때 스톤 여사가 하신 말을 지금도 잊지 않습니다.... 어떨때는 달려가는 시를 거의 놓칠뻔 했던 경우도 있었답니다. 그럴때는 집으로 허겁지겁 달려가서 종이를 찾고 있는데 시가 그녀를 막 통과하고 있으면 한손으로 가까스레 연필을 잡아쥐고 그녀의 말대로 반대쪽 손을 쭉 뻗어서 시를 간신히 잡을때도 있는데 그럴때는 시의 꼬리를 간신히 잡고 자기쪽으로 끌어 당긴 후 그 시를 빨리 종이로 옮겼다고 합니다. 그런데 이런 경우에는 한자도 안빼고 시를 완벽하게 다 적기는 했지만 시가 완전히 거꾸로 적혀서, 마지막 글자부터 시작했다고 했어요. (웃음)

저는 그 이야기를 들었을때 저는 그분의 창의적 과정이 어쩌면 저와 그렇게 똑같을까 하는 생각을 했지요. (웃음)

제 모든 창작이 매번 이렇게 쉽진않아요. 전 수돗물처럼 글을 쏟아낼 수가 없어요. 전 당나귀처럼 항상 일을 해야 글이 나옵니다 그래서 저는 매일 정해진 시간에 일어나서 땀을 흘리며힘들게 뒤뚱거리며 일을 해야 합니다. 그런데 당나귀 처럼 열심히 일을해야 하는 저도 가끔 "지니어스"를 맞이할 때가 있는데, 여러분들도 그런 경험이 많으시겠지요. 저 같은 사람도 도대체 어디서 나왔는지 알 수 없는작품과 좋은 아이디어를 내놓는 적이 있지요. 근데 그런 아이디어는 어디서 나오는 것일까요? 창의적인 일을 하는 사람들이 미치지 않고 제정신을 유지하려면 우리는 창의성이라는 것과 어떤 관계를 가져야 할까요?

저는 음악가 톰 웨이트가 사용하는 현대식 방법이 아주 좋다고 생각합니다. 저는 몇년전에 어느 잡지의 요청으로 톰을 인터뷰하며 바로 이 주제를 두고 이야기를 나눈 적이 있었는데톰은 그의 거의 모든 일생을 바로 이런 문제 때문에 번민해 온 우리 세대의 전형적인 현대 예술가라고 말 할 수 있겠습니다. 톰도 역시 완전히 내면화되어서 컨트롤 할 수 없는 자기 자신의 창의적 충동들을 조절, 관리, 지배하려고 발버둥 쳤지요.

그러나, 그는 나이가 들며 마음이 좀 더 평온해 졌다고 합니다. 하루는 그가 로스안젤레스 고속도로를 운전하던 중 기발한 아이디어를 생각해 냈다고 말을 했어요. 즉, 그가 운전을 하던 중에 어떤 멜로디 조각 하나가 갑자기 머리에 떠올랐는데 영감이란 것이 종종 그렇듯이 그것이 교묘하고, 애타게 하고, 눈부시게 멋지다는 것을 느낄 수 있고 또 그것을 갈망했는데 안타깝게도 그것을 그의 손에 쥘 수 없었다고 합니다. 톰은 그때 연필도 없었고 받아 쓸 종이도 없었고 녹음기도 가지고 있지 않았지요.

그는 그때 마음속에서 또 불안감이 올라 오는 것을 느끼며 "이 멜로디를 놓칠것 같은데 그러면 이 노래가 나를 따라다니며 영원히 나를 괴롭힐 것이다.. 나는 못난 사람이고 능력도 없는 사람이다"라고 외치려다가 공황 상태로 빠지지 않고 그냥 모든것을 중단했답니다. 모든 정신 작용을 그자리에서 멈춘 그는 전에는 생각도 못했던 아주 기발한 행동을 했지요. 그때 그는 하늘을 쳐다보면서 다음과 같이 외쳤답니다: "멜로디야! 너는 지금 내가 지금 운전하고 있는 것이 안보이니?" (웃음) "내가 지금 노래를 받아 적을 형편이 된다고 생각하니? 니가 정말로 존재하고 싶다면 내가 너를 악보에 옮겨 담을 수 있는 좀 더 적절한 시기에 다시 나를 찾어와 다고. 그럴 수 없다면 그냥 어디 가서 다른 사람이나 괴롭혀 가서 레오나드 코헨이나 괴롭히려므나"

그 일이 있었던 후 그의 작업 방식에 큰 변화가 왔다고 합니다. 일 자체는 전처럼 종종 암담하고 어려울 수 있었지만, 자기 자신과 "지니어스" 요정을 분리시킨 후 톰은 그가 가졌던 작업 사고방식과 그에 따르는 무거운 불안감으로 부터 해방되었다고 말했어요. "지니어스" 요정을 내면화 했을때는 계속 문제가 있었는데 "지니어스"를 자신으로 부터 분리시킨 후에야 그 요정의 내면화가 고통의 원인이었다는 것을 깨달았은 것이죠.. 톰은 이제 자기 자신이 아닌 톰의 몸 밖에 사는 마치 요정같은 이상한 존재와 일종의 대화를 하며 기묘하고, 훌륭하며, 괴상하다고 할 수 있는 협력을 할 수 있다는 것이죠.

저는 이 이야기를 들은 후 제 일에 대한 사고방식을 조금씩 바꾸기 시작했는데, 이러한 사고방식은 저를 이미 한번 구조해 줬지요. 제가 "먹고, 기도하고, 사랑하라"를 쓸때 일종의 절망구덩이 같은 곳에 빠져서 번민했던 적이 있었습니다. 우리 모두는 하는 일이 잘 안되고 그럴때 번민에 빠지기 쉽지요. 저는 그 당시에 이 책이 큰 실패작이 될 것이고, 이 책은 가장 쓰레기 같은 책이고 그냥 엉터리 책도 아니고, 인류 역사상 가장 쓰레기 같은 책이니 차라리 이 책쓰는 것을 포기하는 것이 어떠냐는 생각을 했었지요. 그러다가 문득 톰이 하늘에 대고 했던 이야기를 기억하고 저도 한번 그런식으로 해봤어요. 그래서 저는 원고지로 부터 제 머리를 들고 제 작업실의 빈 구석을 향해 큰 소리로 외쳤지요. "여보세요, 당신도 그렇고 나도 그렇고 이책이 뭐 그렇게 훌륭하지는 않지만 그것이 전적으로 내 잘못만은 아니라는 것은 우리가 아는 사실이 아닙니까? 당신은 지금 내가 내 최선을 다하고 있는 것을 보고 있지 않습니까? 나는 이제 지금 이상으로 더 잘 할 능력이 없어요. 그러니까 이책이 더 잘되기를 바란다면 당신도 나와서 당신 몫의 일을 하세요. 하여튼 당신이 일하러 나오건 말건, 나는 그냥 계속해서 이책을 쓰겠어요, 책쓰는 것이 내 직업이니까요. 아, 참 그리고 당신이야 어쨋든 나는 오늘 내 몫의 일을 하러 나왔다는 사실을 기록에 남기고 싶어요" (웃음)

... (박수) 제 생각은 다음과 같습니다... 여러 세기 전에 북 아프리카의 사막에 살던 사람들은달빛 아래에 모두 모여서 밤새도록 종교 댄스와 음악을 즐겼는데 이러한 모임은 그 다음날 새벽까지 계속되곤 했었지요. 그런데 전문댄서 였기때문에 그들의 공연은 언제던지 굉장히 멋있었다고 합니다. 그런데 아주 가끔가다, 어쩌다 한번, 신기한 일이 생기곤 했었는데 그것은 춤추는 댄서중 한명이 초월 상태로 들어간다는 것입니다. 여러분도 언젠가는 그런 공연을 보신 적이 있으실 테니까 지금 제가 무슨말을 하는 지 아실겁니다 그럴때는 마치 시간이 정지하며 그 댄서가 일종의 관문같은 것을 통과해서 어떤 경지에 도달하는 것처럼 보이지요.그 댄서 자신은 전에 1000번도 넘게 췄던 똑같은 춤을 추고 있었지만 어쩐지 평소와는 좀 다르다는 느낌이 드는가 하더니 갑자기 그 댄서가 더 이상 단순한 인간처럼 보이지 않는 것입니다. 그의 몸과 다리가 마치 그의 몸의 내부로 부터 타오르는 신성한 불깃으로 조명되는 것처럼 보이는 것입니다.

그당시의 북아프리카 사람들은 그럴때 그들 앞에서 신성한 일이 일어나고 있다는 것을 인지하고 두손을 모아 그 신성함 자체의 이름을 되풀이 해서 불렀습니다. "알라, 알라, 알라, 신이여, 신이여, 신이여" 저건 분명히 신이 하시는 일입니다! 흥미있는 역사적인 사실 하나를 말씀드리자면, 무어족이 남부 스페인을 점령했을때 그들은 이러한 풍습을 스페인으로 가져갔는데 수백년의 세월이 지나며 발음이 "알라, 알라, 알라" 에서 "올레, 올레, 올레"로 변했고 이 말은 지금 투우나 플레밍고 댄스를 할 때 들을 수 있지요. 스페인에서는 공연하는 사람이 불가능하거나 신기한 일을 하면 "알라, 올레, 올레, 알라, 매그니피선트, 브라보" 이해할 수 없는, 신의 경지를 경험했다고 말합니다. 우리에게는 이와같은 훌륭한 공연이 필요합니다.

그런데 문제는 그 다음날 아침입니다. 그 댄서가 아침에 일어나서 자기 주위를 둘러 보며 시간은 화요일 오전 11시이고, 자기가 더이상 신의 일견이 아니라는 것을 알게되는 것이죠. 그 댄서는 그저 무릎에 큰 문제가 있는 하나의 늙어가는 인간이고 앞으로 또다시 그렇게 멋있는 공연을 할 수 있을런지도 모르고 그가 춤을 출때 아무도 신의 이름을 부르는 사람이 없게 된다면 그는 무엇을 하며 남은 생애를 소일하라는 말입니까? 이건 참 어려운 일이지요. 이렇게 재적응을 하는 것은 창의적인 일을 하는 사람들에게 가장 고통스러운 일의 하나입니다. 그러나, 우리들이 애당초부터 창의적인 일을 하는 사람의 특출함이 그 사람들 자신으로 부터 나오지 않는다고 믿는다면 창의적인 일을 하는 사람들의 번민이 그렇게 심하지 않을지 모릅니다. 창의적인 재능은 어떤 알수없는 곳으로 부터 일시적으로 대여된 것이고 일단 일이 끝난 다음에는 다시 다른 사람에게 전해 줘야 한다고 간단히 믿어도 도움이 되겠지요 우리가 이런식으로 생각을 하면 만사가 달라지지요.

지금의 제 생각은 다음과 같습니다. 저는 곧 새 책을 출판할 것인데 제가 얼마전에 출판했던 책이 터무니 없게 성공적이었기 때문에 곧 출판될 저의 새로운 책에 대해 위험하고 무서울 정도로 기대가 크기 때문에 특히 지난 몇달간은 그런 생각을 더 많이 했지요.

제가 새 책에 대한 걱정 때문에 겁이나면 저는 다음과 같은 말로 제 마음을 다졌습니다. 무서워하지 말고 위압당하지 말고 그냥 나의 일을 해라. 내가 하는 일이 무엇이던지 계속해서 내몫의 일을 하러 나가라. 내 직업이 춤추는 것이면 춤을 춰라. 그런데 만약에 내 작품을 위해 하늘이 내려준 괴상하게 생긴 "지니어스"가 내 노력을 통해 단 한순간이라도 경이스러운 것을 보여준다면 더 말할 것 없이 '올레'이고 지니어스가 나타나지 않아도 네 춤은 네가 춰라.그리고 어쨌건 너한테 '올레'라고 외쳐라. 저는 이를 믿으며, 또 남에게도 가르켜줘야 한다고 믿습니다. 그리고 여러분께서 더없는 인간적인 사랑과 고집을 가지고 계속 일하러 나오시는 것에 '올레'를 보내드립니다.

감사합니다. (박수) 감사합니다. (박수)

쥰 코헨: 올레! (박수)

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수sort
40 Terry Moore: How to tie your shoes chanyi 5327
39 Richard Dawkins: Militant atheism chanyi 3744
38 Sarah Kay: If I should have a daughter ... chanyi 3451
37 Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability chanyi 3135
36 Rives: If I controlled the Internet chanyi 2248
35 Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model. chanyi 1813
34 Shane Koyczan: 'To This Day' ... for the bullied and beautiful chanyi 1557
33 Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice . chanyi 1545
32 Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story chanyi 1504
31 The LXD: In the Internet age, dance evolves ... chanyi 1462
» Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius chanyi 1432
29 Keith Barry: Brain magic chanyi 1427
28 Theo Jansen: My creations, a new form of life chanyi 1324
27 Vijay Kumar: Robots that fly ... and cooperate chanyi 1313
26 Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters chanyi 1179
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화