You cannot see this page without javascript.

The LXD: In the Internet age, dance evolves ...

조회 수 1455 추천 수 0 2014.02.01 20:19:35

The LXD (the Legion of Extraordinary Dancers) electrify the TED2010 stage with an emerging global street-dance culture, revved up by the Internet. In a preview of Jon Chus upcoming Web series, this astonishing troupe show off their superpowers.

(Music)

(Applause)

I'm Jon M. Chu. And I'm not a dancer, I'm not a choreographer -- I'm actually a filmmaker, a storyteller. I directed a movie two years ago called "Step Up 2: The Streets." Anybody? Anybody? Yeah! During that movie I got to meet a ton of hip-hop dancers -- amazing, the best in the world -- and they brought me into a society, the sort of underground street culture that blew my mind. I mean, this is literally human beings with super-human strength and abilities. They could fly in the air. They could bend their elbow all the way back. They could spin on their heads for 80 times in a row. I'd never seen anything like that.

When I was growing up, my heroes were people like Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Michael Jackson. I grew up in a musical family. (Laughter) And those guys, those were like, ultimate heroes. Being a shy, little, skinny Asian kid growing up in the Silicon Valley with low self-esteem, those guys made me believe in something bigger. Those guys made me want to, like, "I'm going to do that moonwalk at that bar mitzvah tonight for that girl."

(Applause)

And it seems like those dance heroes have disappeared, sort of relegated to the background of pop stars and music videos. But after seeing what I've seen, the truth is, they have not disappeared at all. They're here, getting better and better every day. And dance has progressed. It is insane what dance is right now. Dance has never had a better friend than technology.

Online videos and social networking ... dancers have created a whole global laboratory online for dance, where kids in Japan are taking moves from a YouTube video created in Detroit, building on it within days and releasing a new video, while teenagers in California are taking the Japanese video and remixing it with a Philly flair to create a whole new dance style in itself. And this is happening every day.

And from these bedrooms and living rooms and garages, with cheap webcams, lies the world's great dancers of tomorrow. Our Fred Astaires, our Gene Kellys our Michael Jacksons are right at our fingertips, and may not have that opportunity, except for us.

So, we created the LXD, sort of a -- the Legion of Extraordinary Dancers, a justice league of dancers that believe that dance can have a transformative effect on the world. A living, breathing comic book series, but unlike Spiderman and Iron Man, these guys can actually do it. And we're going to show you some today. So, let me introduce to you, some of our heroes right now. We got Madd Chadd, Lil' C, Kid David and J Smooth. Please be excited, have fun, yell, scream. Ladies and gentlemen: The LXD.

(Applause)

(Video): Madd Chadd: When people first see me, I get a lot of different reactions actually. Sometimes you would think that maybe kids would enjoy it, but sometimes they get a little freaked out. And, I don't know, I kind of get a kick out of that a little bit.

(Music)

(Applause)

J Smooth: When I'm in the zone -- I'm dancing and free styling it -- I actually visually kind of picture lines, and moving them. I think of like, Transformers, like how panels open and then they fold, they fold in, and then you close that panel. And then another thing opens, you close that.

(Music)

(Applause)

Kid David: It's kind of like, honestly a lot of times I don't really know what's going on when I'm dancing. Because at that point it's just really like, it's my body and the music. It's not really a conscious decision, "I'm going to do this next, I'm going to do this." It's kind of like this other level where you can't make choices anymore, and it's just your body reacting to certain sounds in the music. I got my name just because I was so young. I was young when I started. I was younger than a lot of the people I was dancing with. So, it was always like, they called me Kid David, because I was the kid.

(Music)

(Applause)

L'il C: I tell them to create a ball, and then you just use that ball of energy. And instead of throwing it out, people would think that's a krump move, that's a krump move. That's not a krump move. You're going to throw it out, you throw it out, and you hold it. And you let it go, and then right when you see the tail, you grab it by the tail, then you bring it back in. And you just got this piece of energy and you just, you're manipulating it. You know, you create power, then you tame it.

(Music)

(Applause)

(Music)

(Applause)

(음악)

(박수)

안녕하세요, 저는 존 츄라고 합니다. 저는 춤꾼이 아닙니다. 그렇다고 안무가도 아닙니다. 사실 저는 영화제작자이고, 이야기꾼이죠. 제가 2년 전에 영화를 감독했었는데, "스텝업2 - 더 스트리트"라는 영화였죠. 아시는 분? 아시는 분? 네! 그 영화를 만들면서 저는 수많은 힙합 댄서들을 만났습니다. 놀라웠죠. 세계 최고의 춤꾼들이었습니다. 그들이 저를 일종의 언더그라운드 길거리 문화 집단으로 데려갔었는데, 거긴 제정신을 날려버릴 정도로 놀라운 곳이었습니다. 이거야말로 진짜 신인류였습니다. 초인적인 힘과 능력을 갖춘 존재들이었지요. 그들은 하늘로 날고, 팔꿈치를 완전히 뒤로 젖힐 수도 있었습니다. 그들은 헤드스핀을 연속으로 80번이나 할 수도 있었습니다. 그전에는 결코 보지 못한 거였죠.

제가 자랐을 무렵 저의 영웅들은 '프레드 아스테어'나 '진 켈리', '마이클 잭슨' 같은 사람들이었죠. 저는 음악가적인 집안에서 성장했거든요. (웃음) 저 사람들, 저들은 궁극의 영웅들이었습니다. 조용하고 작고 깡마른 실리콘 밸리의 자신감 없는 동양계 아이에게 저 영웅들은 저에게 더 큰 무언가를 믿게 해 주었습니다. 저로 하여금 "오늘 밤에 있는 바르미츠바*에서 저 여자애를 위해 문워크를 할 테야"라고 마음먹게 했죠. (*13세가 된 소년의 유대교 성인식)

(박수)

그런데 이제 저들과 같은 춤 영웅들은 사라져 버렸습니다. 팝스타들과 뮤직비디오들의 뒤안길로 밀려나 버렸죠. 그렇지만 제가 본 것들에 의하면 사실 춤 영웅들은 전혀 사라진 것이 아니라는 겁니다. 그들은 여기에 있습니다. 매일 조금씩 조금씩 더 나아지면서요. 그렇게 춤은 계속 발전해왔습니다. 지금 이 자리에서 춤이 무엇인가를 말하는 것은 무모할 것입니다. 춤은 인터넷이라는 최고의 친구를 만났습니다.

온라인 비디오와 소셜 네트워킹... 댄서들은 전 지구적인 온라인 실험실을 창조해냈지요. 일본에 있는 아이들이 디트로이트에서 제작된 유튜브 동영상을 보고 춤을 배웁니다. 그리고 며칠 만에 새로운 동영상을 만들어내서 배포합니다. 캘리포니아 십대들은 다시 일본 아이들의 비디오를 보고 필라델피아 스타일로 리믹스해서 새로운 유형의 댄스를 창조해냅니다. 이런 일들이 매일 일어나고 있습니다.

침대에서, 거실에서, 창고에서 값싼 웹캠을 가지고 내일의 위대한 세계적 춤꾼들이 탄생하고 있는 것입니다. 우리의 프레드 아스테어들이, 우리의 진 켈리들이 우리의 마이클 잭슨들이 바로 우리 손가락 앞에 있는 것입니다. 어쩌면 이들이 스타가 되는 기회를 얻기는 어려울 수도 있습니다.

그래서 우리는 LXD를 만들었습니다. 특급 댄서 군단(the Legion of Extraordinary Dancers) 댄서들의 저스티스 리그로 댄스가 세상을 변화시키는 효과가 있다고 믿는 이들입니다. 살아 숨 쉬는 영웅 만화 주인공들처럼, 그러나 스파이더맨이나 아이언맨과는 달리 이 친구들은 현실에서 실제로 할 수 있습니다. 그래서 오늘 이 자리에서 조금 보여 드리려고 합니다. 소개하죠, 이 시대의 우리의 영웅들을. 맷 체드 (Madd Chadd) 릴 씨, 키드 데이비드 그리고 제이 스무스 (Lil' C, Kid David, J Smooth) 여러분 마음껏 흥분하고 즐거움을 만끽하세요. 고함치고 소리 지르세요. 신사숙녀 여러분, LXD입니다

(박수)

(비디오) 맷 체드: 사람들이 제가 춤추는 것을 처음 볼 때 여러 가지 반응을 보이는데요 아이들이나 좋아할 것으로 생각하는 사람이 있는가 하면 '이게 도대체 뭐냐?'라며 황당해하는 사람도 있죠. 모르겠어요. 어떤 면에선 전 그런 반응들을 즐기는 것 같아요.

(음악)

(박수)

제이 스무스: 제가 무아지경에 빠져들면, 춤을 추며 프리스타일링을 하는데요. 저는 실제로, 시각적으로 영상을 그립니다. 선들이 있고, 그것들을 움직이죠. 마치 트랜스포머처럼 그 안의 판들이 어떻게 열리고 접히는지를 생각해요. 판들이 접히면, 판들을 닫는 거죠. 그럼 다른 것이 열리고요. 그럼 다시 그것을 닫고요.

(음악)

(박수)

키드(꼬마) 데이비드: 음 그러니까, 솔직히 말씀드리면 많은 경우 저도 사실 무슨 일이 일어나고 있는지 몰라요. 춤을 출 땐 말이죠. 춤추는 그 순간에 저와 음악은 실제로 완전히 하나가 돼요. 이것은 진짜 의식적으로 내리는 결정이 아니에요. "다음엔 이걸 해야지, 그다음엔 저걸 해야지." 같은 게 아니라는 거죠. 완전히 다른 차원의 종류 같아요. 더는 무언가를 결정할 수 없는 어딘가에 이르면 몸이 음악 속에 있는 특정 소리에 알아서 반응하게 돼요. 제가 아주 어리기 때문에 키드(꼬마)라는 이름을 얻게 되었어요. 제가 춤추기 시작할 무렵 저는 아주 어렸어요. 같이 춤추던 많은 사람 중에서도 어렸죠. 그래서 사람들은 저를 항상 키드(꼬마) 데이비드라고 불렀죠. 어리니까요.

(음악)

(박수)

L'il C: 저는 사람들에게 공을 만들어 보라고 해요. 그런 다음에 그 공의 에너지를 사용하라고 말하죠. 사람들이 보통 그걸 던지는 걸로 생각하고 그것이 바로 크럼프 동작이라고 생각합니다. 그런데 그냥 공을 바깥으로 던져 버리면 크럼프 동작이 아닙니다. 공을 던진 다음, 다시 잡고 흘러가는 대로 내버려두다가, 그것의 꼬리가 보일 때쯤 그 꼬리를 잡고 다시 안으로 데리고 옵니다. 이런 식으로 에너지 일부를 가지고 그걸 조종하는 겁니다. 파워를 만들고 그것을 다루는 거죠.

(음악)

(박수)

(음악)

(박수)

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수sort
40 Terry Moore: How to tie your shoes chanyi 5319
39 Richard Dawkins: Militant atheism chanyi 3736
38 Sarah Kay: If I should have a daughter ... chanyi 3443
37 Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability chanyi 3123
36 Rives: If I controlled the Internet chanyi 2240
35 Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model. chanyi 1806
34 Shane Koyczan: 'To This Day' ... for the bullied and beautiful chanyi 1550
33 Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice . chanyi 1538
32 Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story chanyi 1496
» The LXD: In the Internet age, dance evolves ... chanyi 1455
30 Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius chanyi 1424
29 Keith Barry: Brain magic chanyi 1419
28 Theo Jansen: My creations, a new form of life chanyi 1316
27 Vijay Kumar: Robots that fly ... and cooperate chanyi 1305
26 Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters chanyi 1171
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화