You cannot see this page without javascript.

Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story

조회 수 1496 추천 수 0 2014.03.30 20:35:51

0:11I'm a storyteller. And I would like to tell you a few personal stories about what I like to call "the danger of the single story." I grew up on a university campus in eastern Nigeria. My mother says that I started reading at the age of two, although I think four is probably close to the truth. So I was an early reader, and what I read were British and American children's books.

0:38I was also an early writer, and when I began to write, at about the age of seven, stories in pencil with crayon illustrations that my poor mother was obligated to read, I wrote exactly the kinds of stories I was reading: All my characters were white and blue-eyed, they played in the snow, they ate apples, and they talked a lot about the weather, how lovely it was that the sun had come out. (Laughter) Now, this despite the fact that I lived in Nigeria. I had never been outside Nigeria. We didn't have snow, we ate mangoes, and we never talked about the weather, because there was no need to.

1:25My characters also drank a lot of ginger beer because the characters in the British books I read drank ginger beer. Never mind that I had no idea what ginger beer was. (Laughter) And for many years afterwards, I would have a desperate desire to taste ginger beer. But that is another story.

1:43What this demonstrates, I think, is how impressionable and vulnerable we are in the face of a story,particularly as children. Because all I had read were books in which characters were foreign, I had become convinced that books by their very nature had to have foreigners in them and had to be about things with which I could not personally identify. Things changed when I discovered African books.There weren't many of them available, and they weren't quite as easy to find as the foreign books.

2:14But because of writers like Chinua Achebe and Camara Laye I went through a mental shift in my perception of literature. I realized that people like me, girls with skin the color of chocolate, whose kinky hair could not form ponytails, could also exist in literature. I started to write about things I recognized.

2:35Now, I loved those American and British books I read. They stirred my imagination. They opened up new worlds for me. But the unintended consequence was that I did not know that people like me could exist in literature. So what the discovery of African writers did for me was this: It saved me from having a single story of what books are.

2:58I come from a conventional, middle-class Nigerian family. My father was a professor. My mother was an administrator. And so we had, as was the norm, live-in domestic help, who would often come from nearby rural villages. So the year I turned eight we got a new house boy. His name was Fide. The only thing my mother told us about him was that his family was very poor. My mother sent yams and rice,and our old clothes, to his family. And when I didn't finish my dinner my mother would say, "Finish your food! Don't you know? People like Fide's family have nothing." So I felt enormous pity for Fide's family.

3:42Then one Saturday we went to his village to visit, and his mother showed us a beautifully patterned basket made of dyed raffia that his brother had made. I was startled. It had not occurred to me that anybody in his family could actually make something. All I had heard about them was how poor they were, so that it had become impossible for me to see them as anything else but poor. Their poverty was my single story of them.

4:12Years later, I thought about this when I left Nigeria to go to university in the United States. I was 19. My American roommate was shocked by me. She asked where I had learned to speak English so well, and was confused when I said that Nigeria happened to have English as its official language. She asked if she could listen to what she called my "tribal music," and was consequently very disappointed when I produced my tape of Mariah Carey. (Laughter) She assumed that I did not know how to use a stove.

4:49What struck me was this: She had felt sorry for me even before she saw me. Her default position toward me, as an African, was a kind of patronizing, well-meaning pity. My roommate had a single story of Africa: a single story of catastrophe. In this single story there was no possibility of Africans being similar to her in any way, no possibility of feelings more complex than pity, no possibility of a connection as human equals.

5:20I must say that before I went to the U.S. I didn't consciously identify as African. But in the U.S. whenever Africa came up people turned to me. Never mind that I knew nothing about places like Namibia. But I did come to embrace this new identity, and in many ways I think of myself now as African. Although I still get quite irritable when Africa is referred to as a country, the most recent example being my otherwise wonderful flight from Lagos two days ago, in which there was an announcement on the Virgin flight about the charity work in "India, Africa and other countries."(Laughter)

5:55So after I had spent some years in the U.S. as an African, I began to understand my roommate's response to me. If I had not grown up in Nigeria, and if all I knew about Africa were from popular images, I too would think that Africa was a place of beautiful landscapes, beautiful animals, and incomprehensible people, fighting senseless wars, dying of poverty and AIDS, unable to speak for themselves and waiting to be saved by a kind, white foreigner. I would see Africans in the same way that I, as a child, had seen Fide's family.

6:34This single story of Africa ultimately comes, I think, from Western literature. Now, here is a quote fromthe writing of a London merchant called John Locke, who sailed to west Africa in 1561 and kept a fascinating account of his voyage. After referring to the black Africans as "beasts who have no houses," he writes, "They are also people without heads, having their mouth and eyes in their breasts."

7:04Now, I've laughed every time I've read this. And one must admire the imagination of John Locke. But what is important about his writing is that it represents the beginning of a tradition of telling African stories in the West: A tradition of Sub-Saharan Africa as a place of negatives, of difference, of darkness, of people who, in the words of the wonderful poet Rudyard Kipling, are "half devil, half child."

7:31And so I began to realize that my American roommate must have throughout her life seen and heard different versions of this single story, as had a professor, who once told me that my novel was not "authentically African." Now, I was quite willing to contend that there were a number of things wrong with the novel, that it had failed in a number of places, but I had not quite imagined that it had failed at achieving something called African authenticity. In fact I did not know what African authenticity was.The professor told me that my characters were too much like him, an educated and middle-class man.My characters drove cars. They were not starving. Therefore they were not authentically African.

8:20But I must quickly add that I too am just as guilty in the question of the single story. A few years ago, I visited Mexico from the U.S. The political climate in the U.S. at the time was tense, and there were debates going on about immigration. And, as often happens in America, immigration became synonymous with Mexicans. There were endless stories of Mexicans as people who were fleecing the healthcare system, sneaking across the border, being arrested at the border, that sort of thing.

8:53I remember walking around on my first day in Guadalajara, watching the people going to work, rolling up tortillas in the marketplace, smoking, laughing. I remember first feeling slight surprise. And then I was overwhelmed with shame. I realized that I had been so immersed in the media coverage of Mexicans that they had become one thing in my mind, the abject immigrant. I had bought into the single story of Mexicans and I could not have been more ashamed of myself. So that is how to create a single story, show a people as one thing, as only one thing, over and over again, and that is what they become.

9:37It is impossible to talk about the single story without talking about power. There is a word, an Igbo word,that I think about whenever I think about the power structures of the world, and it is "nkali." It's a noun that loosely translates to "to be greater than another." Like our economic and political worlds, stories too are defined by the principle of nkali: How they are told, who tells them, when they're told, how many stories are told, are really dependent on power.

10:11Power is the ability not just to tell the story of another person, but to make it the definitive story of that person. The Palestinian poet Mourid Barghouti writes that if you want to dispossess a people, the simplest way to do it is to tell their story and to start with, "secondly." Start the story with the arrows of the Native Americans, and not with the arrival of the British, and you have an entirely different story.Start the story with the failure of the African state, and not with the colonial creation of the African state,and you have an entirely different story.

10:51I recently spoke at a university where a student told me that it was such a shame that Nigerian men were physical abusers like the father character in my novel. I told him that I had just read a novel called American Psycho -- (Laughter) -- and that it was such a shame that young Americans were serial murderers. (Laughter) (Applause) Now, obviously I said this in a fit of mild irritation. (Laughter)

11:29But it would never have occurred to me to think that just because I had read a novel in which a character was a serial killer that he was somehow representative of all Americans. This is not because I am a better person than that student, but because of America's cultural and economic power, I had many stories of America. I had read Tyler and Updike and Steinbeck and Gaitskill. I did not have a single story of America.

11:54When I learned, some years ago, that writers were expected to have had really unhappy childhoods to be successful, I began to think about how I could invent horrible things my parents had done to me.(Laughter) But the truth is that I had a very happy childhood, full of laughter and love, in a very close-knit family.

12:16But I also had grandfathers who died in refugee camps. My cousin Polle died because he could not get adequate healthcare. One of my closest friends, Okoloma, died in a plane crash because our fire trucks did not have water. I grew up under repressive military governments that devalued education, so that sometimes my parents were not paid their salaries. And so, as a child, I saw jam disappear from the breakfast table, then margarine disappeared, then bread became too expensive, then milk became rationed. And most of all, a kind of normalized political fear invaded our lives.

12:57All of these stories make me who I am. But to insist on only these negative stories is to flatten my experience and to overlook the many other stories that formed me. The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete.They make one story become the only story.

13:24Of course, Africa is a continent full of catastrophes: There are immense ones, such as the horrific rapes in Congo and depressing ones, such as the fact that 5,000 people apply for one job vacancy in Nigeria.But there are other stories that are not about catastrophe, and it is very important, it is just as important, to talk about them.

13:44I've always felt that it is impossible to engage properly with a place or a person without engaging with all of the stories of that place and that person. The consequence of the single story is this: It robs people of dignity. It makes our recognition of our equal humanity difficult. It emphasizes how we are different rather than how we are similar.

14:08So what if before my Mexican trip I had followed the immigration debate from both sides, the U.S. and the Mexican? What if my mother had told us that Fide's family was poor and hardworking? What if we had an African television network that broadcast diverse African stories all over the world? What the Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe calls "a balance of stories."

14:33What if my roommate knew about my Nigerian publisher, Mukta Bakaray, a remarkable man who left his job in a bank to follow his dream and start a publishing house? Now, the conventional wisdom was that Nigerians don't read literature. He disagreed. He felt that people who could read, would read, if you made literature affordable and available to them.

14:55Shortly after he published my first novel I went to a TV station in Lagos to do an interview, and a woman who worked there as a messenger came up to me and said, "I really liked your novel. I didn't like the ending. Now you must write a sequel, and this is what will happen ..." (Laughter) And she went on to tell me what to write in the sequel. I was not only charmed, I was very moved. Here was a woman, part of the ordinary masses of Nigerians, who were not supposed to be readers. She had not only read the book, but she had taken ownership of it and felt justified in telling me what to write in the sequel.

15:32Now, what if my roommate knew about my friend Fumi Onda, a fearless woman who hosts a TV show in Lagos, and is determined to tell the stories that we prefer to forget? What if my roommate knew about the heart procedure that was performed in the Lagos hospital last week? What if my roommate knew about contemporary Nigerian music, talented people singing in English and Pidgin, and Igbo and Yoruba and Ijo, mixing influences from Jay-Z to Fela to Bob Marley to their grandfathers. What if my roommate knew about the female lawyer who recently went to court in Nigeria to challenge a ridiculous law that required women to get their husband's consent before renewing their passports? What if my roommate knew about Nollywood, full of innovative people making films despite great technical odds,films so popular that they really are the best example of Nigerians consuming what they produce? What if my roommate knew about my wonderfully ambitious hair braider, who has just started her own business selling hair extensions? Or about the millions of other Nigerians who start businesses and sometimes fail, but continue to nurse ambition?

16:46Every time I am home I am confronted with the usual sources of irritation for most Nigerians: our failed infrastructure, our failed government, but also by the incredible resilience of people who thrive despite the government, rather than because of it. I teach writing workshops in Lagos every summer, and it is amazing to me how many people apply, how many people are eager to write, to tell stories.

17:13My Nigerian publisher and I have just started a non-profit called Farafina Trust, and we have big dreams of building libraries and refurbishing libraries that already exist and providing books for state schoolsthat don't have anything in their libraries, and also of organizing lots and lots of workshops, in reading and writing, for all the people who are eager to tell our many stories. Stories matter. Many stories matter. Stories have been used to dispossess and to malign, but stories can also be used to empower and to humanize. Stories can break the dignity of a people, but stories can also repair that broken dignity.

17:55The American writer Alice Walker wrote this about her Southern relatives who had moved to the North.She introduced them to a book about the Southern life that they had left behind: "They sat around, reading the book themselves, listening to me read the book, and a kind of paradise was regained." I would like to end with this thought: That when we reject the single story, when we realize that there is never a single story about any place, we regain a kind of paradise. Thank you. (Applause)

0:11나는 이야기꾼입니다. 오늘 제 개인적인 이야기 몇가지를 들려드리겠습니다. 주제는 단편적인 이야기의 위험성입니다. 전 나이지리아 동부의 한 대학교 캠퍼스에서 자랐습니다. 어머니께서 말씀하시길 전 두 살 때부터 글을 읽기 시작했다고 합니다. 사실은 아마 네 살 때부터 읽은 것 같아요. 그렇게 저는 일찍부터 책을 읽었는데요, 주로 영국와 미국의 동화책을 읽었습니다.

0:38또한 어렸을 때부터 글을 쓰기도 했죠. 7살 즈음부터 글을 쓰기 시작했어요. 연필로 글을 쓰고 크레파스로 그림을 그리고서 어머니에게 늘 제 작품을 읽으라고 강요하곤 했죠. 전 제가 읽었던 이야기와 비슷한 이야기를 썼습니다. 주인공들은 모두 파란눈에 백인들이며 눈 위에서 놀고 사과도 먹었습니다. 또 날씨에 관한 이야기를 많이 했었죠. 해가 나와서 너무나 아름다운 날씨라고 말이죠. (웃음) 저는 당시에 나이지리아에 살고 있었고 외국엔 가본적이 없었습니다. 눈도 안오고 우리는 망고를 먹었죠. 그리고 날씨에 관한 이야기를 하지도 않았습니다. 그런 이야기를 할 필요가 없기 때문이죠,

1:25제가 쓴 이야기의 주인공들은 진저비어를 많이 마셨습니다. 왜냐하면 그 영국 동화책의 주인공들이 진저비어를 마셨으니까요. 진저비어가 뭔지 전혀 몰랐지만 별 상관없었습니다. (웃음) 몇 년이 지난후, 전 깊은 열망을 가지게 되었습니다. 진저비어를 맛보고 싶어졌던 것이죠 이건 다음 기회에 이야기할께요.

1:43이것은 우리가 어떤 이야기를 들을때 얼마나 쉽게 그것에 영향을 받고 따라하게 되는지 잘 보여줍니다. 특히 아이들이 그렇습니다. 제가 읽었던 책들은, 전부 주인공들이 외국인이기 때문에 저는 자연스럽게 책이란 것은 당연히 주인공은 외국인이어야 하며 내가 직접 경험하지 못한 것에 관한 내용이어야 한다고 믿게 되었습니다. 아프리카 작가들의 책을 읽으면서 상황은 바뀌었습니다. 그런 책은 많이 있지도 않았고 외국 저자의 책들보다 찾기도 어려웠습니다.

2:14하지만 '치누아 아체베'나 '카마라 레이'같은 작가들로 인해 문학에 대한 저의 인식에는 변화가 생겼습니다.제가 깨달은 것은, 저같은 사람들 즉, 초콜렛 빛깔의 피부색을 가진 소녀들, 포니테일 스타일로 머리가 묶이지 않는 곱슬머리 소녀도 책에 나올 수 있다는 사실이었습니다. 그리고 제가 깨달은 사실에 대해 쓰기 시작했습니다.

2:35물론 제가 읽었던 미국과 영국책들을 사랑했습니다. 제게 상상력을 불어넣고 새로운 세계를 열어주었죠 그러나 의도치 않게, 그로 인해 저와 같은 사람들도 문학속에 존재할 수 있다는 걸 몰랐습니다. 아프리카 작가들을 알게 되면서 저는 비로소 책이란 무엇인가에 대한 단편적 이야기들로부터 벗어난 것입니다.

2:58저는 전형적인 중산층 나이지리아 가정에서 자랐습니다. 아버지께서는 교수이셨고 어머니께서는 행정관이셨죠. 여느 중산층 가정이나 마찬가지로, 저희집에도 인근 시골마을 출신의 가정부가 함께 살았습니다. 제가 여덟 살이 되었을 때 새로운 가정부 소년이 왔습니다. 그 아이 이름은 피데였습니다. . 어머니께서 제게 그 아이에 대해 해주신 말씀이라고는 그의 가족이 매우 가난하다는 것이었죠. 어머니는 고구마와 쌀, 헌옷을 그의 가족에게 보냈습니다. 그리고 제가 음식을 남기면 어머니는 이렇게 말씀하셨습니다. "밥을 다 먹어. 피데네 같은 사람들은 먹을게 없어 굶는거 모르니?" 그래서 전 피데네 가족에게 엄청난 동정심을 느꼈습니다.

3:42어느 토요일 우리는 그의 마을에 들렀습니다. 피데의 엄마는 예쁜 문양의 바구니를 보여주었습니다, 그의 형이 만든 야자나무로 물든인 바구니였죠. 전 깜짝 놀랐습니다. 그의 가족 중 누구도 무언가를 만들 수 있다는 생각을 전혀 해보지 못했기 때문이죠 저는 그들이 가난하다는 이야기만 들어왔습니다. 그래서 가난하다는 것 이외에는, 그들에 대해서 다른 면을 생각할 수 없었던 거죠. 그들에 대해 제가 들은 단편적인 이야기는 가난이었죠.

4:12몇 년 후, 나이지리아를 떠나 미국에서 대학을 다닐 때 이 이야기를 다시 생각하게 되었습니다. 당시에 19살 이었는데요, 제 미국인 룸메이트가 절 보고 깜짝 놀랐습니다. 어디서 영어를 그렇게 잘 배웠냐고 물었죠. 나이지리아의 공식어가 영어라고 대답했더니 어리둥절한 모습이었습니다. 또 우리 "부족 전통 음악"을 들려달라고 하더군요. 그리곤 이내 굉장히 실망했죠 제가 머라이어 캐리의 테잎을 내놓았거든요. (웃음) 그녀는 제가 가스렌지 사용법을 모를 거라고 짐작했습니다.

4:49진짜 충격적인 것은 그녀가 제게 동정심을 느꼈다는 점입니다. 절 만나기도 전에요. 그녀는 애초에 저를 한명의 아프리카 사람으로 악의 없는 동정심과 보호심으로 대했습니다 제 룸메이트는 아프리카에 대한 단편적인 이야기만 들은것이죠. 아프리카의 재난에 대한 단편적인 이야기를요. 그녀가 들은 단편적인 이야기속에서, 아프리카 인은 어떤 면으로도 그녀와 비슷할 수 없었습니다. 단순한 동정심 이외의 어떤 감정들도 느낄 수 없었고 동등한 인간으로의 소통도 불가능 했습니다.

5:20솔직히 말해, 제가 미국에 가기 전까지는 의식적으로 제자신을 아프리카인이라고 느낀적이 없습니다. 하지만 미국에서는 아프리카 이야기가 나오면 다들 절 쳐다봤죠. 제가 나미비아 같은 곳에 대해 아무것도 몰라도 상관없었어요. 하지만 이젠 새로운 저의 정체성을 받아 들였습니다. 많은 면에서 전 스스로를 아프리카 사람으로 생각합니다 하지만 아프리카를 하나의 나라인 양 이야기를 하면 아직도 짜증이 납니다. 가장 최근의 예로, 2일전에 라고스에서 오는 비행기를 타고 기분 좋게 여행중이었어요, 버진항공사 비행기에서 기내방송이 있었는데 '인도와 아프리카 및 다른 국가들"을 위한 자선행사에 관한 것이었습니다 (웃음)

5:55한 사람의 아프리카인으로 미국에서 몇 년을 지낸 후 저는 그 룸메이트의 반응을 이해하게 되었습니다 제가 나이지리아에서 자라지 않았고, 흔히 알려진 이미지로만 아프리카를 알았다면 저 역시도 아프리카를 아름다운 경치와 멋진 동물들이 있으며 이해할 수 없는 사람들이 무의미한 전쟁 속에 빈곤과 에이즈로 죽어가며그들 스스로의 목소리를 내지 못하고 친절한 백인이 구해주기를 기다리는 곳으로 생각했겠죠. 어릴 적 피데네 가족을 보던 시선으로 아프리카인을 바라 보았을 거예요.

6:34아프리카에 대한 이런 단편적인 이야기는 궁극적으로 서양 문학에서 왔는데요. 여기 하나를 인용해 보면,존 로크라는 영국 무역상이 쓴 글인데요, 그는 1561년 서 아프리카로 항해를 하며 그의 여정을 흥미롭게 기록했습니다 아프리카 흑인들을 "집도 없는 야수들"이라 부르고서, "이들은 머리가 없고, 눈과 입이 젖통에달려있다" 라고 썼습니다.

7:04전 이걸 읽을 때마다 웃었습니다 그리고 존 로크의 상상력은 존경할 만 하죠. 그러나 중요한 사실은 그의 글이 서양에서 회자되는 전통적 아프리카 이야기의 시초가 되었다는 것입니다. 이 전통은 사하라 이남 아프리카를 부정적이고 이질적이며 음침한 곳으로 표현했고, 유명한 시인 루디야드 키플링의 말처럼, 아프리카 사람들을 "반은 악마, 반은 아이"로 그렸습니다.

7:31그래서 제 미국인 룸메이트는 살아오면서 분명히 아프리카에 관한 다양한 종류의 단편적 이야기를 보고 들었을 거라는 생각이 들기 시작했습니다. 나의 소설이 "진짜 아프리카적"이 아니라고 말했던 그 교수님처럼 말입니다. 제 소설에는 아마 문제점이 있을 것이라는 것을 인정합니다. 제대로 이야기 전달에 실패한 부분도 있고요. 그러나 실패하지 않았다고 생각하는 부분이 있는데요. 바로 진짜 아프리카적이란 무엇인가를 보여줬다는 것입니다. 사실 전 몰랐습니다 진짜 아프리카적이란 어떤 것인지를요. 그 교수님은 제 책의 주인공들이 자신과 너무 비슷하다고 하였습니다 교육 수준이 높은 중산층인 자신과 말이죠. 제 책의 주인공들은 차를 몰고 굶주리지도 않았기 때문에 진짜 아프리카인이 아니라고 했습니다.

8:20그러나 저 역시도 단편적 이야기의 문제 앞에 유죄임을 덧붙여야겠습니다. 몇 년 전 미국에서 멕시코를 간 적이 있었습니다. 당시 미국에서는 정치적인 긴장감이 돌고 있던 시기였죠. 그리고 이민자에 관한 논쟁이 한창이었습니다. 미국에서는 흔히 일어나는 일입니다만 이민자라는 말이 멕시코인이라는 말과 동의어가 되었습니다. 멕시코인에 관한 이야기는 끝도 없습니다. 멕시코 사람들은 건강보험 시스템을 악용하고 국경을 몰래 넘어 밀입국하며 국경에서 체포된 사람들 등으로 묘사되죠.

8:53전 과달라하라에 도착한 그 날 산책을 하고 있었습니다 출근하는 사람들과 시장에서 또르띠야를 말고 있는 사람들 담배를 피우거나 웃는 사람들을 구경하면서요. 처음엔 약간 놀라운 기분이 들었지만 곧 부끄러움이 몰려왔습니다 전 멕시코에 관한 언론 보도에 철저하게 사로잡혀 멕시코 사람들을 한 가지 이미지로만 기억했던 것입니다. 비천한 이민자들로 말이죠. 멕시코인들에 대한 단편적 이야기를 믿어왔던 것입니다. 그리고 제 자신이 너무도 부끄러웠습니다. 바로 이렇게 단편적 이야기가 만들어지고 사람들을 단 한가지로만 반복해서 보여주면 그 사람들은 그 단편적 이야기 그 자체가 되어버립니다.

9:37이런 단편적 이야기에 대해 말하면서 힘에 관한 이야기를 안 할 수 없습니다. 이보 족 언어에 어떤 단어가 있는데, 제가 세상의 힘의 구조를 생각하면서 늘 떠올리는 말인 " 느칼리" 입니다. 이 말은 명사로써 대충 번역하자면 "남들보다 더 강하게 되다"라는 의미 입니다. 우리의 정치및 경제 사회들처럼 이야기들도 역시 느칼리의 법칙으로 정의됩니다. 누가, 언제, 어떻게 이야기를 전하고 얼마나 다양한 이야기가 전해지는지 사실 힘에 달려 있습니다

10:11힘은 단지 다른 사람에 대한 이야기를 하는 능력이 아니라, 그 사람을 정의내리는 이야기를 만드는 능력입니다. 팔레스타인 시인 무리드 바르구티는 한 민족의 권리나 소유물을 빼앗는 가장 단순한 방법은 그들의 이야기를 하되 "그 다음으로"라는 말로 이야기를 시작하라고 썼습니다. 즉 영국인들의 미대륙 도착 대신,미국 원주민들의 화살에 대한 이야기로 시작한다면, 전혀 다른 이야기가 될 것입니다. 이야기를 풀어나갈때, 아프리카 식민지의 탄생이 아닌 아프리카의 몰락에 대한 이야기로 시작한다면 전혀 다른 이야기가 될 것입니다.

10:51최근에 한 대학에서 연설을 했습니다 당시 한 학생은 제게 이렇게 말하더군요 제 소설에 등장하는 아버지처럼, 나이지리아 남자들은 폭력꾼이라서 참으로 유감이라고 말입니다. 그래서 저는 얼마전 읽었던 책이 "아메리칸 싸이코"였다고 답했습니다. (웃음) 그리고 미국 젊은이들이 연쇄 살인마라는 것은 참 슬픈 일이라고 말이예요. (웃음) (박수) 말씀 안드려도 아시겠지만 약간 짜증이 나서 한 말이죠. 웃음

11:29그러나 어쩌다가 연쇄 살인범이 주인공으로 등장하는 책을 읽었다고 해서 모든 미국인이 그럴 것이라는 생각이 진짜로 든 것은 절대 아니예요. 이는 내가 그 학생보다 나은 사람이라서가 아니라 미국의 문화적, 경제적인 힘 때문에, 저는 이미 미국에 관한 다양한 이야기를 들었기 때문입니다. 타일러에서 업다이크, 스테인백과 게이츠킬의 작품까지 읽어서 저는 미국에 관한 단편적 편견이 없습니다.

11:54몇 년 전 대부분의 사람들이 작가들은 불우한 어린 시절을 보내다가 결국에는 성공했다는 편견을 가지고 있다는 걸 알았을때 부모님께서 내게 어떤 끔찍한 일을 저질렀다고 꾸며내 볼까 생각해봤습니다. (웃음) 그러나 사실 전 매우 행복한 어린시절을 지냈습니다 사랑과 웃음으로 가득한, 화목한 가정이었죠

12:16하지만 할아버지는 난민 캠프에서 죽음을 맞이하셨고 사촌 폴리는 제대로 된 치료를 받지 못해 죽었습니다.오콜로마라는 제 절친은 비행기 추락 사고가 났을때 소방차에 물이 없어서 불을 진압을 못해 죽었죠. 저는 매우 억압적인 군사 정권 하에 자랐습니다. 그들은 교육의 가치를 무시했고 그래서 부모님은 가끔씩 월급을 받지 못하기도 했습니다. 그리고 어린 시절 아침식탁에서 잼이 사라지고, 그 다음엔 마가린이 없어졌으며, 다음엔 빵이 너무 비싸졌으며, 그 다음 우유가 배급의 형태로 바뀌는 것을 봤습니다. 그리고 무엇보다도, 일상화 된 정치적 공포가 우리의 삶을 침범했습니다.

12:57모든 이 이야기들이 오늘의 나를 만듭니다. 하지만 이런 비관적인 이야기만 강조하는 것은 나의 경험을 깎아 내리고 저를 만든 많은 다양한 이야기들을 간과하는 것일테죠. 단편적 이야기는 고정관념을 만듭니다.그리고 고정관념의 문제는 그것이 거짓이라서가 아니라 불완전하다는 데 있습니다. 고정관념은 하나의 이야기를 유일한 이야기로 만듭니다.

13:24물론 아프리카는 재난이 끊이지 않는 땅입니다. 콩고에서 발생한 끔찍한 강간같은 엄청난 사건도 있고, 그리고 나이지리아에서는 직원 한명을 뽑는데 5000명이 지원한다는 우울한 소식도 있습니다. 그러나 재난 외에도 다른 이야기들도 있습니다 그런 이야기들을 들려주는 것도 매우 중요합니다.

13:44어떤 장소나 사람에 대한 모든 이야기를 알지 않고서, 그 곳이나 그 사람을 이해하는 것은 불가능하다고 저는 항상 느껴왔습니다. 단편적 이야기의 결과는 바로, 사람들의 존엄성을 앗아 간다는 것입니다. 우리 모두가 똑같은 사람이라는 생각을 어렵게 만듭니다. 우리가 서로 비슷하다는 것보다는 우리가 다르다는 점을 강조합니다.

14:08만약 제가 멕시코에 가기 전, 이민 문제에 대한 토론에서 미국과 멕시코 양국 사이의 이야기를 모두 알고 있었다면 어땠을까요? 어머니가 피데네 가족은 가난하지만 열심히 일한다고 우리에게 이야기 했다면요? 나이지리아 작가인 치누아 아체베가 말했던 "이야기의 균형"을 위해 아프리카의 다양한 이야기들을 전 세계에 방송하는 아프리카 방송국이 있었다면 어땠을까요?

14:33만약 내 룸메이트가 제 책을 출간한 나이지리아 출판인이며, 자신의 꿈을 쫓아 은행일을 그만두고 출판사를 시작한 묵타 바카레이라는 뛰어난 인물을 알았다면요? 나이지리아 사람들은 책을 읽지않는다는 통념이 있습니다. 그는 이 말에 동의하지 않았습니다. 사람들에게 합리적인 가격으로 손쉽게 책을 제공한다면 읽을 수 있는 사람들은 읽을 것이라 믿었습니다.

14:55그가 제 첫 소설을 출간한 직후 저는 인터뷰를 하러 라고스의 한 TV 방송국에 갔죠. 잡무를 보던 한 여성이 제게 다가와서 이렇게 말했습니다. "소설 정말 재미있게 봤습니다만 결말은 별로였어요 "이제 속편을 쓰셔야죠. 그리고 다음 내용에는 이렇게 쓰세요..." (웃음) 그리고는 속편에 무엇을 쓸 것인지 계속 이야기를 해 나갔습니다. 저는 기쁘고도, 굉장히 감동을 받았습니다. 글을 읽지 않아야 할 평범한 나이지리아 대중의 한 명인 이 여인이 제 앞에 서 있었던 것입니다. 그녀는 책을 읽었을 뿐 아니라 책 내용에 대해 주인의식이 강해서 제게 당연하다는 듯 속편에 쓸 내용에 대해 이야기 해 주었어요.

15:32만약 내 룸메이트가 제 친구 푸미 온다를 알았다면 어땠을까요? 라고스에서 TV쇼를 진행하며 모두가 잊고 싶어하는 이야기를 전하는 그 용감무쌍한 여성을 알았다면요? 만약 내 룸메이트가 지난주에 라고스 병원에서 진행된 심장수술에 관해 알았다면 어땠을까요? 만약 내 룸메이트가 최신 나이지리안 음악을 알았다면요? 영어, 피진어, 이보어, 요루바어, 이조어로, 제이지부터 펠라, 밥 말리로부터 선조들의 음악까지 다양한 음악적 영향을 받아 노래하는 재능있는 사람들을 알았다면요? 만약 내 룸메이트가 최근에 나이지리아의 법정에 선 한 여성 변호사를 알았다면요? 여성들이 여권을 재발급 받으려면 남편의 동의가 필요하다는 말도 안되는 법을 개정을 요구한 그녀를 알았다면요? 만약 내 룸메이트가 기술적인 어려움에도 불구하고 기발한 사고로 영화를 제작하는 사람들이 가득한 놀리우드를 알았다면요? 영화는 너무 인기 높아, 나이지리아인들의 자국 생산물 소비의 가장 대표적인 예가 되고 있답니다. 만약 내 룸메이트가 최근 붙임머리 사업을 시작한 제 미용사에 대해 알았다면요? 혹은 사업을 시작하고 가끔 실패도 하지만 열정을 계속 키워나가는 수백만의 다른 나이지리아 사람들을 알았다면요?

16:46매번 귀국 할 때마다 대부분의 나이지리아 인들을 늘 화나게 만드는 그 문제들을 직면하게 됩니다. 형편없는 인프라와 정부입니다. 허나 동시에 사람들의 강인함을 보게 됩니다. 형편없는 정부 밑에서도 굳건히 살아가는 사람들이죠. 여름마다 라고스에서 글쓰기 워크샵을 진행하고 있습니다. 그리고 지원자 수를 보면 정말 놀랍습니다. 정말 많은 사람들이 이야기를 쓰고 싶어합니다.

17:13저의 출판인인 묵타 바카레이와 저는 파라피나라는 비영리 재단을 설립했습니다. 우리의 커다란 꿈은 도서관을 짓고 그리고 현존하는 도서관을 수리하고 도서관이 텅빈 공립학교에 책을 기증하고 수 없이 많은 워크샵을 열어서 우리의 다양한 이야기를 전하고자 갈망하는 모든 이들에게 읽기와 쓰기를 가르쳐주는 것입니다. 이야기는 중요합니다. 다양한 이야기는 중요합니다. 이야기는 사람들을 착취하고 해치기 위해 사용될 수 있지만 동시에 사람을 더욱 사람답게 만들고 힘을 줄 수도 있습니다. 이야기는 사람의 존엄성을 부술 수도 있지만 동시에 상처입은 존엄성을 치료할 수도 있습니다

17:55미국의 작가 엘리스 워커는 남부에서 살다가 북부로 이사간 가족들에 대해 이렇게 썼습니다. 그녀는 그들이 떠나버린 남부의 삶에 대한 책 한 권을 가져왔습니다. "그들은 둘러 앉아 책을 읽거나 내가 책을 읽어 주는 것을 듣노라면 천국을 되찾은듯 했다." 마지막으로 이 말을 전하며 마칠까 합니다. 우리가 단편적 이야기를 거부하고 세상 그 어떤 곳도 단편적 이야기만 존재할 수 없다는 것을 알게된다면 우리는 천국을 되찾을 것입니다. 감사합니다 (박수)

영어듣기, 영어회화, 기초영어,영어공부혼자하기,무료기초영어,완전기초영어,성인기초영어,기초영어공부,기초영어회화,왕초보영어공부,직장인영어공부,온라인영어회화
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수sort
40 Terry Moore: How to tie your shoes chanyi 5319
39 Richard Dawkins: Militant atheism chanyi 3736
38 Sarah Kay: If I should have a daughter ... chanyi 3443
37 Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability chanyi 3123
36 Rives: If I controlled the Internet chanyi 2240
35 Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model. chanyi 1806
34 Shane Koyczan: 'To This Day' ... for the bullied and beautiful chanyi 1550
33 Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice . chanyi 1538
» Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story chanyi 1496
31 The LXD: In the Internet age, dance evolves ... chanyi 1455
30 Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius chanyi 1424
29 Keith Barry: Brain magic chanyi 1419
28 Theo Jansen: My creations, a new form of life chanyi 1316
27 Vijay Kumar: Robots that fly ... and cooperate chanyi 1305
26 Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters chanyi 1171
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화