You cannot see this page without javascript.

youtube:TYtoDunfu00

Thank you, thank you, President Faust, and Paul Choi, thank you so much.

It’s an honor and a thrill to address this group of distinguished alumni and supportive friends and kvelling parents. We’ve all gathered to share in the joy of this day, so please join me in congratulating Harvard’s Class of 2016.

I can remember my own college graduation, which is easy, since it was only 14 years ago. How many of you took 37 years to graduate? Because, like most of you, I began college in my teens, but sophomore year, I was offered my dream job at Universal Studios, so I dropped out. I told my parents if my movie career didn’t go well, I’d re-enroll.

It went all right.

But eventually, I returned for one big reason. Most people go to college for an education, and some go for their parents, but I went for my kids. I’m the father of seven, and I kept insisting on the importance of going to college, but I hadn’t walked the walk. So, in my fifties, I re-enrolled at Cal State -- Long Beach, and I earned my degree.

I just have to add: It helped that they gave me course credit in paleontology for the work I did on Jurassic Park. That’s three units for Jurassic Park, thank you.

Well I left college because I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and some of you know, too -- but some of you don’t. Or maybe you thought you knew but are now questioning that choice. Maybe you’re sitting there trying to figure out how to tell your parents that you want to be a doctor and not a comedy writer.

Well, what you choose to do next is what we call in the movies the ‘character-defining moment.’ Now, these are moments you’re very familiar with, like in the last Star Wars: The Force Awakens, when Rey realizes the force is with her. Or Indiana Jones choosing mission over fear by jumping over a pile of snakes.

Now in a two-hour movie, you get a handful of character-defining moments, but in real life, you face them every day. Life is one strong, long string of character-defining moments. And I was lucky that at 18 I knew what I exactly wanted to do. But I didn’t know who I was. How could I? And how could any of us? Because for the first 25 years of our lives, we are trained to listen to voices that are not our own. Parents and professors fill our heads with wisdom and information, and then employers and mentors take their place and explain how this world really works.

And usually these voices of authority make sense, but sometimes, doubt starts to creep into our heads and into our hearts. And even when we think, ‘that’s not quite how I see the world,’ it’s kind of easier to just to nod in agreement and go along, and for a while, I let that going along define my character. Because I was repressing my own point of view, because like in that Nilsson song, ‘Everybody was talkin’ at me, so I couldn’t hear the echoes of my mind.’

And at first, the internal voice I needed to listen to was hardly audible, and it was hardly noticeable -- kind of like me in high school. But then I started paying more attention, and my intuition kicked in.

And I want to be clear that your intuition is different from your conscience. They work in tandem, but here’s the distinction: Your conscience shouts, ‘here’s what you should do,’ while your intuition whispers, ‘here’s what you could do.’ Listen to that voice that tells you what you could do. Nothing will define your character more than that.

Because once I turned to my intuition, and I tuned into it, certain projects began to pull me into them, and others, I turned away from.

And up until the 1980s, my movies were mostly, I guess what you could call ‘escapist.’ And I don’t dismiss any of these movies -- not even 1941. Not even that one. And many of these early films reflected the values that I cared deeply about, and I still do. But I was in a celluloid bubble, because I’d cut my education short, my worldview was limited to what I could dream up in my head, not what the world could teach me.

But then I directed The Color Purple. And this one film opened my eyes to experiences that I never could have imagined, and yet were all too real. This story was filled with deep pain and deeper truths, like when Shug Avery says, ‘Everything wants to be loved.’ My gut, which was my intuition, told me that more people needed to meet these characters and experience these truths. And while making that film, I realized that a movie could also be a mission.

I hope all of you find that sense of mission. Don’t turn away from what’s painful. Examine it. Challenge it.

My job is to create a world that lasts two hours. Your job is to create a world that lasts forever. You are the future innovators, motivators, leaders and caretakers.

And the way you create a better future is by studying the past. Jurassic Park writer Michael Crichton, who graduated from both this college and this medical school, liked to quote a favorite professor of his who said that if you didn’t know history, you didn’t know anything. You were a leaf that didn’t know it was part of a tree. So history majors: Good choice, you’re in great shape...Not in the job market, but culturally.

The rest of us have to make a little effort. Social media that we’re inundated and swarmed with is about the here and now. But I’ve been fighting and fighting inside my own family to get all my kids to look behind them, to look at what already has happened. Because to understand who they are is to understand who were were, and who their grandparents were, and then, what this country was like when they emigrated here. We are a nation of immigrants -- at least for now.

So to me, this means we all have to tell our own stories. We have so many stories to tell. Talk to your parents and your grandparents, if you can, and ask them about their stories. And I promise you, like I have promised my kids, you will not be bored.

And that’s why I so often make movies based on real-life events. I look to history not to be didactic, ‘cause that’s just a bonus, but I look because the past is filled with the greatest stories that have ever been told. Heroes and villains are not literary constructs, but they’re at the heart of all history.

And again, this is why it’s so important to listen to your internal whisper. It’s the same one that compelled Abraham Lincoln and Oskar Schindler to make the correct moral choices. In your defining moments, do not let your morals be swayed by convenience or expediency. Sticking to your character requires a lot of courage. And to be courageous, you’re going to need a lot of support.

And if you’re lucky, you have parents like mine. I consider my mom my lucky charm. And when I was 12 years old, my father handed me a movie camera, the tool that allowed me to make sense of this world. And I am so grateful to him for that. And I am grateful that he’s here at Harvard, sitting right down there.

My dad is 99 years old, which means he’s only one year younger than Widener Library. But unlike Widener, he’s had zero cosmetic work. And dad, there’s a lady behind you, also 99, and I’ll introduce you after this is over, okay?

But look, if your family’s not always available, there’s backup. Near the end of It’s a Wonderful Life -- you remember that movie, It’s a Wonderful Life? Clarence the Angel inscribes a book with this: “No man is a failure who has friends.” And I hope you hang on to the friendships you’ve made here at Harvard. And among your friends, I hope you find someone you want to share your life with. I imagine some of you in this yard may be a tad cynical, but I want to be unapologetically sentimental. I spoke about the importance of intuition and how there’s no greater voice to follow. That is, until you meet the love of your life. And this is what happened when I met and married Kate, and that became the greatest character-defining moment of my life.

Love, support, courage, intuition. All of these things are in your hero’s quiver, but still, a hero needs one more thing: A hero needs a villain to vanquish. And you’re all in luck. This world is full of monsters. And there’s racism, homophobia, ethnic hatred, class hatred, there’s political hatred, and there’s religious hatred.

As a kid, I was bullied -- for being Jewish. This was upsetting, but compared to what my parents and grandparents had faced, it felt tame. Because we truly believed that anti-Semitism was fading. And we were wrong. Over the last two years, nearly 20,000 Jews have left Europe to find higher ground. And earlier this year, I was at the Israeli embassy when President Obama stated the sad truth. He said: ‘We must confront the reality that around the world, anti-Semitism is on the rise. We cannot deny it.’

My own desire to confront that reality compelled me to start, in 1994, the Shoah Foundation. And since then, we’ve spoken to over 53,000 Holocaust survivors and witnesses in 63 countries and taken all their video testimonies. And we’re now gathering testimonies from genocides in Rwanda, Cambodia, Armenia and Nanking. Because we must never forget that the inconceivable doesn’t happen -- it happens frequently. Atrocities are happening right now. And so we wonder not just, ‘When will this hatred end?’ but, ‘How did it begin?’

Now, I don’t have to tell a crowd of Red Sox fans that we are wired for tribalism. But beyond rooting for the home team, tribalism has a much darker side. Instinctively and maybe even genetically, we divide the world into ‘us’ and ‘them.’ So the burning question must be: How do all of us together find the ‘we?’ How do we do that? There’s still so much work to be done, and sometimes I feel the work hasn’t even begun. And it’s not just anti-Semitism that’s surging -- Islamophobia’s on the rise, too. Because there’s no difference between anyone who is discriminated against, whether it’s the Muslims, or the Jews, or minorities on the border states, or the LGBT community -- it is all big one hate.

And to me, and, I think, to all of you, the only answer to more hate is more humanity. We gotta repair -- we have to replace fear with curiosity. ‘Us’ and ‘them’ -- we’ll find the ‘we’ by connecting with each other. And by believing that we’re members of the same tribe. And by feeling empathy for every soul -- even Yalies.

My son graduated from Yale, thank you …

But make sure this empathy isn’t just something that you feel. Make it something you act upon. That means vote. Peaceably protest. Speak up for those who can’t and speak up for those who may be shouting but aren’t being hard. Let your conscience shout as loud as it wants if you’re using it in the service of others.

And as an example of action in service of others, you need to look no further than this Hollywood-worthy backdrop of Memorial Church. Its south wall bears the names of Harvard alumni -- like President Faust has already mentioned -- students and faculty members, who gave their lives in World War II. All told, 697 souls, who once tread the ground where stand now, were lost. And at a service in this church in late 1945, Harvard President James Conant -- which President Faust also mentioned -- honored the brave and called upon the community to ‘reflect the radiance of their deeds.’

Seventy years later, this message still holds true. Because their sacrifice is not a debt that can be repaid in a single generation. It must be repaid with every generation. Just as we must never forget the atrocities, we must never forget those who fought for freedom. So as you leave this college and head out into the world, continue please to ‘reflect the radiance of their deeds,’ or as Captain Miller in Saving Private Ryan would say, “Earn this.”

And please stay connected. Please never lose eye contact. This may not be a lesson you want to hear from a person who creates media, but we are spending more time looking down at our devices than we are looking in each other’s eyes. So, forgive me, but let’s start right now. Everyone here, please find someone’s eyes to look into. Students, and alumni and you too, President Faust, all of you, turn to someone you don’t know or don’t know very well. They may be standing behind you, or a couple of rows ahead. Just let your eyes meet. That’s it. That emotion you’re feeling is our shared humanity mixed in with a little social discomfort.

But, if you remember nothing else from today, I hope you remember this moment of human connection. And I hope you all had a lot of that over the past four years. Because today you start down the path of becoming the generation on which the next generation stands. And I’ve imagined many possible futures in my films, but you will determine the actual future. And I hope that it’s filled with justice and peace.

And finally, I wish you all a true, Hollywood-style happy ending. I hope you outrun the T. rex, catch the criminal and for your parents’ sake, maybe every now and then, just like E.T.: Go home. Thank you.

감사합니다. 파우스트 총장님, 폴 최, 정말 감사합니다.

훌륭한 졸업생들, 도움을 준 친구들, 부모님들 앞에서 연설을 하게 되어 영광이고 신이 납니다. 우리는 오늘의 기쁨을 함께 나누기 위해 여기 모였습니다. 그러니 나와 함께 하버드 2016년 졸업생들에게 축하를 보냅시다.

내가 대학을 졸업했던 때가 기억납니다. 쉽게 기억할 수 있습니다. 고작 14년 전이니까요. 여러분 중 37년만에 졸업하는 분이 몇 명이나 계시나요? 나는 여러분들과 마찬가지로 10대에 대학에 들어갔습니다. 하지만 2학년때 유니버설 스튜디오에서 나에게 꿈의 직장을 제안했기 때문에 학교를 그만두었습니다. 당시 부모님께는 내 영화 커리어가 잘 풀리지 않으면 학교로 돌아가겠다고 말씀드렸지요.

(그런데) 잘 풀렸습니다.

하지만 결국 저는 한 가지 큰 이유 때문에 다시 대학으로 돌아갔습니다. 사람들은 대부분 교육을 받으러 대학에 가고, 부모님 때문에 대학에 갑니다. 그러나 나는 내 아이들 때문에 갔습니다. 나는 일곱 자녀를 둔 아버지입니다. 나는 아이들에게 대학에 가는 게 중요하다고 계속 말했지만, 정작 나는 대학을 졸업하지 않았던 것이죠. 그래서 50대에 롱 비치의 캘리포니아 주립 대학교에 다시 등록하고 학위를 땄습니다.

한 가지 덧붙여야겠군요. ‘쥬라기 공원’을 만들었다는 이유로 저는 고생물학 수업을 듣지 않았지만, 학점을 인정받을 수 있었습니다. ‘쥬라기 공원’으로 3학점을 땄죠, 고맙게도.

과거에 내가 대학을 떠난 이유는 내가 하고 싶은 일이 뭔지 정확하게 알고 있었기 때문이었습니다. 여러분 중에도 그런 사람이 있겠지만, 아닌 사람들도 있을 겁니다. 아니면 예전엔 안다고 생각했는데, 지금은 그 선택에 의문을 갖고 있을 수도 있죠. 지금 앉아있는 여러분 중에는 코미디 작가가 아니라, 의사가 되고 싶다는 말을 부모님께 어떻게 할지 고민하는 사람도 있을 수 있어요.

여러분이 지금 선택하는 행동을 영화에서는 ‘캐릭터를 결정하는 순간’이라고 부릅니다. 지금 이 순간은 여러분이 아주 익숙한 순간입니다. 마치 ‘스타워즈: 깨어난 포스’에서 레이가 자신에게 포스가 있다는 걸 깨닫는 것과 같은 순간입니다. 혹은 인디애나 존스가 뱀들을 뛰어넘으며, 공포를 이기고 임무를 선택하는 장면처럼요.

2시간짜리 영화에서는 캐릭터를 결정하는 순간이 몇 번 안 나오지만, 실제 삶에서는 매일 그런 순간을 만납니다. 캐릭터를 결정하는 순간들이 길게 이어져 있는 것이 인생입니다. 내가 하고 싶은 일이 뭔지 18세에 정확히 알고 있었던 저는 운이 좋았습니다. 하지만 나는 내가 누구인지 몰랐습니다. 당연하죠. 우리 중 그 누구도 알 수 없습니다. 왜냐하면 인생의 첫 25년 동안 우리는 내 스스로의 목소리가 아닌 남의 목소리를 듣는 훈련을 받기 때문입니다. 부모님과 교수들이 주는 지식과 정보로 우리의 머리를 채우고, 그 다음엔 고용주들과 멘터들이 그 자리를 차지하고 이 세상이 실제로 어떻게 돌아가는지 설명합니다.

그리고 이런 권위의 목소리들은 보통 이치에 맞습니다. 하지만 가끔은 의심이 우리의 머리와 마음속으로 기어들어 옵니다. ‘이건 내가 세상을 보는 방법이 아닌데’라고 생각할 때조차, 그냥 알겠다고 고개를 끄덕이며 시키는 대로 하는 게 더 쉽습니다. 나는 한동안 다른 이가 시키는 대로 내 캐릭터를 결정했습니다. 내가 내 시각을 억누르고 있었기 때문이었고, 해리 닐슨 노래 가사처럼 ‘모두 내게 말을 해서, 내 마음속의 메아리를 들을 수가 없었’기 때문이죠.

처음에는 내가 귀를 기울여야 했던 내면의 목소리가 거의 들을 수 없을 만큼 작았고, 거의 눈에 띄지 않았습니다. 고등학교때의 나와도 비슷했습니다. 하지만 나는 점점 더 주의를 많이 기울이기 시작했고, 그러자 직관의 효과가 나타났습니다.

직관은 양심과는 다르다는 걸 분명히 말하고 싶습니다. 직관과 양심은 함께 작용하지만, 다른 점이 있습니다. 양심은 ‘네가 해야 하는 일은 이거야’라고 소리치고, 직관은 ‘네가 할 수 있는 일은 이거야’라고 속삭입니다. 당신이 할 수 있는 일을 말해주는 목소리에 귀를 기울이세요. 그것만큼 당신의 캐릭터를 결정하는 것은 없습니다.

내가 직관을 접하고 나자, 내가 나의 직관이 되고 나자, 어떤 프로젝트들은 나를 끌어당겼고 어떤 프로젝트들에는 내가 등을 돌렸습니다.

1980년대까지 내 영화들은 대부분 이른바 ‘현실도피적’이었습니다. 나는 그 영화들을 폄하하는 게 아닙니다. 심지어 ‘1941’(1979)조차도요. 그리고 그 초기 영화들 중 상당수는 내가 굉장히 중요하게 여겼고 지금도 중시하는 가치들을 반영하고 있습니다. 하지만 나는 영화의 비누방울 안에 갇혀 있었습니다. 교육을 받다가 말았기 때문에, 내 세계관은 세상이 내게 가르쳐 줄 수 있는 것이 아니라 내가 머릿속에서 떠올릴 수 있는 것에 제한되어 있었습니다.

그러나 그때 나는 ‘컬러 퍼플’(1985)을 연출했습니다. 이 한 편의 영화가 내가 상상할 수 없으나 너무나 생생한 경험들에 눈을 뜨게 해주었습니다. 이 영화에는 깊은 고통과 더욱 깊은 진실들이 가득합니다. 셕 에버리가 ‘모든 것은 사랑받고 싶어한다’라고 말할 때처럼요. 나의 직관은 더 많은 사람들이 이 캐릭터들을 만나고 이 진실을 경험해야 한다고 말했습니다. 그래서 그 영화를 만드는 동안 나는 영화가 임무일 수도 있다는 것을 깨달았습니다.

나는 여러분이 모두 그런 임무의 느낌을 발견하길 바랍니다. 고통스러운 것에 등을 돌리지 마세요. 관찰하고 도전하십시오.

내 직업은 두 시간 동안 지속되는 세계를 만드는 겁니다. 여러분의 직업은 영원히 남는 세계를 만드는 겁니다. 여러분은 미래에 혁신을 하고, 동기 부여를 할 것이며, 지도자가 되고 남들을 돌볼 것입니다.

그리고 더 나은 미래를 만드는 방법은 과거를 공부하는 것입니다. ‘쥬라기 공원’의 원작 소설을 쓴 마이클 크라이튼은 하바드 대학교와 하바드 의대를 졸업했죠. 그는 자신이 가장 좋아하는 교수의 말을 즐겨 인용했습니다. 당신이 역사를 모르면 당신은 아무것도 모르는 것이다. 당신은 자신이 나무의 일부였다는 걸 모르는 나뭇잎이다. 그러니 역사 전공자들, 좋은 선택을 하셨습니다. 아주 훌륭해요…… 취업하기엔 별로겠지만 문화적으로는요.

그 외의 사람들은 노력을 좀 해야 합니다. 우리가 푹 빠져 지내는 소셜 미디어는 지금 여기에 대한 겁니다. 하지만 나는 내 가족 안에서 계속해서 싸우고 있어요. 아이들을 모두 과거를 보게 하도록, 어떤 일이 이제까지 일어났는지 보게 하기 위해서죠. 아이들이 자신이 누군지를 이해하는 것은 곧 부모가 누구였는지, 조부모가 누구였는지, 그리고 그들이 이 나라에 처음 이민 왔을 때 이 나라가 어땠는지를 이해하는 것이니까요. 우리 미국은 이민자들의 나라입니다. 적어도 지금은 그렇지요.

그래서 내게 있어 이 사실은 우리가 모두 자신의 이야기를 해야 한다는 걸 의미합니다. 우리에겐 들려줄 이야기가 정말 많아요. 할 수 있다면 부모님과 조부모님께 들려 드리고, 그들의 이야기를 들려 달라고 부탁하세요. 내가 내 아이들에게 약속했듯, 여러분께도 지루하지 않을 거라고 약속합니다.

그것이 내가 실제 사건에 기반한 영화를 자주 만드는 이유입니다. 나는 교훈을 늘어놓으려고 역사를 보는 게 아닙니다. 그건 그냥 덤이죠. 내가 과거를 보는 이유는 과거에는 최고의 이야기들이 가득하기 때문이에요. 영웅과 악당들은 문학적 구조에 불과한 게 아닙니다. 모든 역사의 중심에 있지요.

그리고, 이것이 자기 내면의 속삭임을 듣는 게 중요한 이유입니다. 에이브러햄 링컨과 오스카 쉰들러가 도덕적으로 올바른 결정을 내리게 해준 것이 바로 그것입니다. 당신을 결정하는 순간에, 편리함이나 형편 때문에 도덕이 흔들리게 하지 마십시오. 당신의 캐릭터를 고수하는 데는 많은 용기가 필요합니다. 그리고 용기를 가지려면 도움을 많이 받아야 할 것입니다.

the스티븐 스필버그의 1994년도 작품 '쉰들러 리스트'

당신이 운이 좋다면 나의 부모님 같은 부모님을 두고 있겠죠. 나는 어머니를 내 부적이라고 생각합니다. 그리고 내가 12살 때 아버지는 영화를 찍을 수 있는 카메라를 주셨습니다. 내가 이 세상을 이해할 수 있게 해준 도구였죠. 그 점에 대해 나는 아버지께 정말 감사함을 느낍니다. 그리고 아버지가 오늘 하버드에 오셔서 바로 저기에 앉아 계시다는 것에 감사드립니다.

내 아버지는 99세입니다. 와이드너 도서관보다 딱 한 살 어리신 거죠. 하지만 와이드너와는 달리 아버지는 외모를 전혀 꾸미지 않으셨습니다. 그리고 아빠, 아빠 뒤에 계신 숙녀분도 99세예요. 연설이 끝나고 나면 소개해 드릴게요. 좋죠?

하지만 가족이 없다 해도 대체할 수 있는 게 있습니다. ‘멋진 인생’이라는 영화를 기억하시나요? 그 영화가 끝날 무렵에 천사 클라렌스가 책에 이런 말을 쓰죠. “친구가 있는 사람은 실패한 사람이 아니다.” 나는 여러분이 여기 하버드에서 만든 우정을 지키길 바랍니다. 그리고 친구들 중에서 인생을 함께 나누고 싶은 사람을 발견하길 바랍니다. 여기 있는 사람들 중 좀 냉소적인 사람들도 있겠지만, 나는 대놓고 감상적이 되고 싶습니다. 나는 직관의 중요성을 이야기했고, 자신이 따라야 할 목소리 중에 직관보다 더 위대한 목소리는 없다고 말했습니다. 그건 여러분이 일생일대의 사랑을 만나기 전까지의 이야기입니다. 내가 케이트와 만나 결혼했을 때 그런 일이 일어났고, 그건 내 인생에서 가장 큰 캐릭터를 결정하는 순간이었습니다.

사랑, 지원, 용기, 직관. 이 모든 것들은 영웅인 여러분의 화살통에 들어 있습니다. 하지만 영웅에게는 한 가지가 더 필요합니다. 무찌를 악당이 필요하죠. 여러분은 운이 좋습니다. 이 세계엔 괴물들이 가득합니다. 그리고 인종차별, 동성애 혐오, 민족간의 증오, 계급간의 증오, 정치적 증오, 종교적 증오가 있지요.

어렸을 때 나는 유대인이라는 이유로 괴롭힘을 당했습니다. 불쾌했지만, 내 부모님과 조부모님이 당했던 것에 비하면 별 것 아니라고 느꼈습니다. 우리는 반유대주의가 사라지고 있다고 진심으로 믿었거든요. 그런데 우리는 틀렸습니다. 지난 2년 동안 2만 명 가까운 유대인이 더 나은 곳을 찾아 유럽을 떠났습니다. 그리고 올해에 오바마 대통령이 슬픈 진실을 말할 때 나는 이스라엘 대사관에 있었습니다. 오바마 대통령은 이렇게 말했죠. “우리는 전세계의 현실을 직시해야 하며, 반유대주의가 부상하고 있다. 우린 그것을 부정할 수 없다.”

그 현실을 직시하려는 내 자신의 욕구 때문에 나는 1994년 부터 쇼아 재단을 시작했습니다. 그리고 그이후 우리는 63개국에서 53,000명이 넘는 홀로코스트 생존자와 목격자들과 이야기를 나누고 영상을 남겼습니다. 그리고 이제 우리는 르완다, 캄보디아, 아르메니아, 난징의 대량 학살 에 대한 증언을 모으고 있습니다. 왜냐하면 상상조차 할 수 없는 일은 그냥도 아니고 자주 일어난다는 사실을 잊어서는 안되기 때문입니다. 잔혹 행위는 바로 지금도 일어나고 있습니다. 그러므로 우리는 ‘이 증오가 언제 끝이 날까?’라는 의문뿐 아니라 ‘이게 어떻게 시작된 거지?’라는 의문도 가져야 합니다.

레드삭스 팬들에게 우리가 부족 중심주의에 빠지기 쉽다는 걸 말할 필요는 없겠죠. 하지만 홈팀을 응원하는 것을 넘어서면, 부족 중심주의에는 훨씬 더 어두운 면이 있습니다. 본능적으로, 어쩌면 유전적으로 우리는 세상을 ‘우리’와 ‘그들’로 나눕니다. 그러므로 중요한 문제는 어떻게 하면 우리 모두가 ‘우리’를 찾을 수 있을까? 어떻게 하면 될까? 아직 해야 할 일이 많이 남았고, 때로는 나는 아직 시작조차 하지 않았다고 느껴집니다. 그리고 부상하고 있는 건 반유대주의만이 아닙니다. 이슬람 증오도 부상하고 있지요. 무슬림이든, 유대인이든, 남부의 소수자들이든, LGBT 커뮤니티든, 차별 받는 사람들 사이엔 아무 차이도 없기 때문입니다. 이 모든 건 하나의 거대한 증오입니다.

그리고 내게 있어, 그리고 여러분 모두에게 있어, 더 많은 증오에 대한 유일한 대답은 더 많은 인간성이라고 생각합니다. 우리는 고쳐야 합니다. 공포를 호기심으로 대체해야 합니다. ‘우리’와 ‘그들’. 우리는 서로와 연결되며 ‘우리’를 찾을 것입니다. 그리고 우리가 같은 부족의 일원이라고 믿으면서. 그리고 모든 사람들과 공감을 느끼면서. 심지어 예일 대학교 졸업생들과도 말이에요.

제 아들이 예일을 졸업했습니다. 고마워요……

하지만 이런 공감을 느끼는 것만으로 그치지 않도록 하십시오. 이런 공감에 기반해 행동하십시오. 투표를 하라는 뜻입니다. 평화롭게 시위하십시오. 목소리를 높일 수 없는 사람들을 위해 목소리를 높이고, 귀 기울여 그 외침을 듣지 않는 사람들을 위해 목소리를 높이세요. 여러분의 양심을 남들을 위해 사용할 때, 양심이 원하는 대로 크게 외치게 하십시오.

그리고 남들을 위한 행동의 예는 헐리우드 영화에 나와도 될 정도로 멋진 이 메모리얼 교회만 보셔도 됩니다. 남쪽 벽에는 하버드 졸업생들의 이름이 새겨져 있죠. 파우스트 총장님이 아까 말씀하셨듯, 2차 세계대전에서 목숨을 바친 학생들과 교수들의 이름입니다. 총 697명이 내가 서 있는 이 곳을 걸었다가 세상을 떴습니다. 그리고 1945년 말 이 교회의 예배에서 제임스 코넌트 하바드 총장은, 이 역시 파우스트 학장님이 말씀하셨듯, 용감했던 그들을 기리며 ‘그들의 빛나는 행위를 깊이 생각할’ 것을 지역 사회에 요청했습니다.

70년이 지난 지금도 그 메시지는 옳습니다. 그들의 희생은 한 세대가 갚을 수 있는 빚이 아니기 때문입니다. 모든 세대가 갚아야 하는 빚입니다. 우리는 끔찍한 일들을 잊어서는 안 되는 것과 마찬가지로, 자유를 위해 싸운 사람들도 잊어서는 안 됩니다. 그러니 대학을 떠나 세상으로 들어가는 여러분들은 앞으로도 ‘그들의 빛나는 행위를 깊이 생각’해야 합니다. ‘라이언 일병 구하기’의 밀러 대위라면 “네 가치를 입증해”라고 말했겠죠.

그리고 타인과의 연결을 유지하십시오. 눈맞춤을 절대 잃어버리지 마세요. 미디어를 만드는 사람에게 듣고 싶은 교훈은 아닐지도 모르지만, 우리는 서로의 눈을 바라보는 시간보다 장비를 내려다 보는 시간이 더 길어요. 그러니 죄송하지만 지금 시작해 봅시다. 여기 계신 분들은 모두 누군가의 눈을 바라보시기 바랍니다. 학생들, 졸업생들, 그리고 파우스트 총장님도요. 모두들 모르는 사람이나 잘 모르는 사람을 찾으세요. 뒤에 있는 사람도 좋고, 몇 줄 앞의 사람도 좋습니다. 그냥 눈을 마주치세요. 바로 그겁니다. 여러분이 지금 느끼고 있는 감정이 약간의 사교적 불편함이 섞인, 우리가 공유하는 인간성입니다.

하지만 여러분이 오늘의 일 중 단 한 가지만을 기억한다면, 나는 여러분이 인간과 연결되었던 지금 이 순간을 기억하길 바랍니다. 그리고 여러분 모두가 지난 4년 동안 인간과의 연결을 많이 가졌길 바랍니다. 왜냐하면 오늘부터 여러분은 다음 세대가 올라설 기반인 세대가 되는 길을 걸을 것이기 때문입니다. 그리고 나는 영화들에서 여러 가지 미래의 모습들을 상상해 보았지만, 실제 미래는 여러분이 결정합니다. 그리고 나는 그게 정의와 평화가 가득한 미래이길 바랍니다.

마지막으로, 저는 여러분에게 진정한 헐리우드식 해피 엔딩이 있길 바랍니다. 여러분이 티렉스보다 빨리 달리고, 범죄자를 잡고, 여러분의 부모님을 위해 가끔씩 E.T.처럼 집에 가시길 바랍니다. 감사합니다.

번역 : 이원열 (허핑턴포스트코리아 번역)

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수 날짜
461 일반 Rude slang for body parts - COCK, PUSSY, ASS, BALLS :D sohee1004 1423 2012-07-28
460 일반 A, AN, THE - Articles in English sohee1004 391 2012-07-14
459 일반 Pronunciation - How to make the 'R' sound in English sohee1004 304 2012-06-30
458 일반 British & American English: Food Vocabulary sohee1004 270 2012-06-20
457 일반 How to improve your listening in English sohee1004 263 2012-05-30
456 일반 Conditionals - zero & first conditionals (English Grammar) sohee1004 342 2012-05-10
455 일반 Past Simple and Past Perfect - Tenses in English sohee1004 469 2012-04-25
454 일반 Present Perfect or Past Perfect? sohee1004 246 2012-04-10
453 미드로영어공부 [뉴욕의 연인들] 당신들 상금 받게 해 주려고 제왕절개는 하지 않을 거에요. file sohee1004 788 2013-04-07
452 일반 Lesson 22 - Learning (and roller-skating!) - English Vocabulary sohee1004 318 2013-03-02
451 일반 Lesson 9 - Final Review - Verb Tenses in English sohee1004 226 2013-01-27
450 일반 Lesson 8 - Future Progressive and Future Perfect - Verb Tenses in English sohee1004 318 2013-01-24
449 일반 Lesson 7, Part 2 - The future with WILL and BE GOING TO - Verb Tenses in English sohee1004 370 2013-01-12
448 일반 Lesson 7, Part 1 - Future with WILL and BE GOING TO - Verb Tenses in English [1] sohee1004 268 2013-01-11
447 일반 Lesson 65 - Object Pronouns - Learn English with Jennifer sohee1004 232 2012-12-23
446 일반 Lesson 64 - Review of Questions - Learn English with Jennifer sohee1004 212 2012-12-23
445 일반 Lesson 6, Part 2 - Past Perfect / Past Perfect Progressive - Verb Tenses in English sohee1004 513 2012-12-07
444 일반 Lesson 6, Part 1 - Past Perfect / Past Perfect Progressive - Verb Tenses in English sohee1004 164 2012-12-06
443 일반 Lesson 63 - Would you like...? (polite requests and invitations) - Learn English with Jennifer sohee1004 255 2012-11-02
442 일반 Lesson 62 - Present Progressive (questions) - Learn English with Jennifer sohee1004 197 2012-10-24
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화