You cannot see this page without javascript.

Rives: If I controlled the Internet

조회 수 2249 추천 수 0 2014.01.06 18:31:05

http://www.ted.com How many poets could cram eBay, Friendster and Monster.com into 3-minute poem worthy of a standing ovation? Enjoy Rives' unique talent. TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers are invited to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes -- including speakers such as Jill Bolte Taylor, Sir Ken Robinson, Hans Rosling, Al Gore and Arthur Benjamin. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, and Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, politics and the arts. Watch the Top 10 TEDTalks on TED.com, at http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/top10

I wrote this poem after hearing a pretty well known actress tell a very well known interviewer on television, "I'm really getting into the Internet lately. I just wish it were more organized." So ... (Laughter) If I controlled the Internet, you could auction your broken heart on eBay. Take the money; go to Amazon; buy a phonebook for a country you've never been to -- call folks at random until you find someone who flirts really well in a foreign language.

(Laughter)

If I were in charge of the Internet, you could Mapquest your lover's mood swings. Hang left at cranky, right at preoccupied, U-turn on silent treatment, all the way back to tongue kissing and good lovin'. You could navigate and understand every emotional intersection. Some days, I'm as shallow as a baking pan, but I still stretch miles in all directions. If I owned the Internet, Napster, Monster and Friendster.com would be one big website. That way you could listen to cool music while you pretend to look for a job and you're really just chattin' with your pals.

(Laughter)

Heck, if I ran the Web, you could email dead people.

(Laughter)

They would not email you back (Laughter) -- but you'd get an automated reply.

(Laughter) Their name in your inbox (Laughter) -- it's all you wanted anyway. And a message saying, "Hey, it's me. I miss you.

(Laughter)

Listen, you'll see being dead is dandy. Now you go back to raising kids and waging peace and craving candy." If I designed the Internet, childhood.com would be a loop of a boy in an orchard, with a ski pole for a sword, trashcan lid for a shield, shouting, "I am the emperor of oranges. I am the emperor of oranges. I am the emperor of oranges." Now follow me, OK?

(Laughter)

Grandma.com would be a recipe for biscuits and spit-bath instructions. One, two, three. That links with hotdiggitydog.com. That is my grandfather. They take you to gruff-ex-cop-on-his-fourth-marriage.dad. He forms an attachment to kind-of-ditzy-but-still-sends-ginger-snaps-for-Christmas.mom, who downloads the boy in the orchard, the emperor of oranges, who grows up to be me -- the guy who usually goes too far. So if I were emperor of the Internet, I guess I'd still be mortal, huh? But at that point, I would probably already have the lowest possible mortgage and the most enlarged possible penis (Laughter) -- so I would outlaw spam on my first day in office. I wouldn't need it. I'd be like some kind of Internet genius, and me, I'd like to upgrade to deity and maybe just like that -- pop! -- I'd go wireless.

(Laughter)

Huh? Maybe Google would hire this. I could zip through your servers and firewalls like a virus until the World Wide Web is as wise, as wild and as organized as I think a modern-day miracle/oracle can get, but, ooh-eee, you want to bet just how whack and un-PC your Mac or PC is going to be when I'm rocking hot-shit-hot-shot-god.net? I guess it's just like life. It is not a question of if you can -- it's: do ya? We can interfere with the interface. We can make "You've got Hallelujah" the national anthem of cyberspace every lucky time we log on. You don't say a prayer. You don't write a psalm. You don't chant an "om." You send one blessed email to whomever you're thinking of at dah-da-la-dat-da-dah-da-la-dat.com. Thank you, TED.

(Applause)

꽤 잘 알려진 어느 여배우가 TV에 나와서 유명한 인터뷰어에게 이렇게 이야기하는 것을 듣고 시를 한 편 썼습니다. "요즘 진짜 인터넷에 빠져들고 있는데요, 그냥 조금 더 잘 정돈되어 있으면 좋겠어요." 그래서 -- (웃음) 만약 제가 인터넷을 통제할 수 있다면, 상처받은 마음들을 이베이에서 경매하고 그 돈으로 아마존에 가서 한 번도 못 가본 나라의 전화부를 사서 외국어로 남자와 시시덕거리는 것을 좋아하는 여자가 나올 때까지 전화를 걸겠습니다.

(웃음)

만약 제가 인터넷을 총괄하는 자리에 있다면, 연인의 기분 변화를 지도로 보여드릴게요. "기분나쁨"에서는 좌측으로, "골몰상태"에 있을때는 우측으로, "침묵시위"에서는 유턴을, 그래서 진한 키스와 만족스러운 사랑에 골인하도록 안내해 드리죠. 그러면 모든 감정의 굴곡과 교차점을 항해할 수 있겠죠. 어떤 날은 제가 수킬로미터에 달하는 앏은 팬케이크처럼 돼서 사방팔방 뻗어 나가렵니다. 만약 인터넷이 제꺼라면, 소리바다, 벼룩시장 그리고 싸이월드 같은 사이트들은 하나로 합쳐 놓겠어요. 그러면 멋진 음악을 들으면서 일자리 찾는 척하며 사실은 그냥 친구들하고 채팅이나 하는거죠.

(웃음)

헉, 만약 제가 웹을 운영한다면, 죽은 사람들에게도 이메일을 보낼 수 있게 하렵니다.

(웃음)

그 사람들이 답장은 안 하겠지만 (웃음) 자동 응답 회신은 받겠지요.

(웃음) 어쨌든 그들의 이름은 수신함에 뜨겠지요. (웃음) 사실 원했던건 바로 그거니까요. 그리고 메일에는 이렇게 적혀있겠죠. "안녕, 나야. 보고 싶다.

(웃음)

죽어 있는 것도 그다지 나쁘지 않아. 넌 이제 편지 그만보고 가서 애들 키우고, 평화운동하고, 사탕이나 먹어야지." 만약 제가 인터넷을 설계한다면, 반복해서 영원히 돌아가는 "어린시절.com"에서 한 아이가 스키 폴대를 칼로 쓰고, 쓰레기통 뚜껑을 방패로 쓰면서 이렇게 외치고 있을 겁니다. "내가 오렌지 황제다. 내가 오렌지 황제다. 내가 오렌지 황제다." 알아 듣고 계시죠?

(웃음)

"할머니.com"에는 과자 만드는 방법과 침발라서 목욕시키는 방법 같은 것들이 있을거에요. 하나, 둘, 셋. 그러면 "핫-디기티-도그-노래.com"으로 연결되죠. 그러면 제 할아버지가 그곳에서 "터프한-전직-경찰관이자-세번-이혼한.아빠" 사이트로 연결해주고 그 아버지는 좀-멍청하게-성탄절에-생강과자-보내주시는.엄마"에게 애정을 느끼고 그 엄마는 그 과수원의 오렌지 황제를 다운로드 받고 그 아이가 자라서 뭐든지 하면 주로 지나치게 하고야 마는 제가 되지요. 그래서 만약에 제가 인터넷 황제였다면, 뭐 그래도 역시 영원히 살지는 못하겠죠? 하지만 그 쯤되면 이미 제 주택융자 월부금도 누구보다 낮을거고, 말도 못하게 큰 성기를 가지고 있겠지요. (웃음) 첫 출근날부터 스팸들도 다 막아버릴거에요. 하긴 그런건 필요도 없겠죠. 일종의 인터넷 천재 같이 되어 있을테니까요. 그리고 저를 신격으로 업그레이드 하고 짠 -- 저를 무선으로 만들어 버리겠어요.

(웃음)

음? 어쩌면 구글이 이걸 써먹을지도 모르겠네요. 저는 마치 바이러스처럼 서버와 방화벽들을 뚫고 다니며 인터넷이 현대사회의 기적이라고 생각될 정도로 현명하고, 신나고, 잘 정돈되도록 만들겁니다. 지금 우리가 쓰는 맥이나 PC가 얼마나 고물인지 알게 될 겁니다. 제가 "제일-잘생긴-신.net"이 되면 말이죠. 인터넷은 삶과 마찬가지죠. '내가 할 수 있을까?' 가 아니고, '그렇게 할거지?' 죠. 인터페이스를 간섭해서 매번 로그인할 때마다 "할렐루야"를 사이버 세계의 국가(國歌)로 만들어 버리는거죠. 기도할 필요도 없고, 시편을 작곡할 필요도 없고, 명상을 하며 "오-옴" 소리를 낼 필요도 없지요. 그냥 축복을 담은 이메일 한 통을 지금 생각나는 사람에게 보내보세요. "다다라닷다닷다라다라라라.com"로 보내시면 됩니다. 감사합니다. TED.

(박수)

엮인글 :
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수sort
40 Terry Moore: How to tie your shoes chanyi 5329
39 Richard Dawkins: Militant atheism chanyi 3745
38 Sarah Kay: If I should have a daughter ... chanyi 3452
37 Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability chanyi 3136
» Rives: If I controlled the Internet chanyi 2249
35 Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model. chanyi 1814
34 Shane Koyczan: 'To This Day' ... for the bullied and beautiful chanyi 1558
33 Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice . chanyi 1546
32 Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story chanyi 1505
31 The LXD: In the Internet age, dance evolves ... chanyi 1463
30 Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius chanyi 1433
29 Keith Barry: Brain magic chanyi 1428
28 Theo Jansen: My creations, a new form of life chanyi 1325
27 Vijay Kumar: Robots that fly ... and cooperate chanyi 1314
26 Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters chanyi 1180
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화