You cannot see this page without javascript.

youtube:51z7WRDjOjM

What_separates_us_from_the_apes.mp3
transcript_for_jane_goodall_on_what_separates_us_from_the_apes.hwp

Good morning everyone. And I feel -- first of all, it's been fantastic being here over these past few days.

안녕하세요. 먼저 이곳에서 보낸 몇 일간은 정말 환상적이었습니다.

And secondly, I feel it's a great honor to kind of wind up this extraordinary gathering of people -- these amazing talks that we've had.

그리고, 이렇게 특별한 모임에서 마지막을 장식하게되어 영광으로 생각합니다.

I feel that I've fitted in, in many ways, to some of the things that I've heard.

그동안 우리가 함께한 놀라운 이야기들 저는 여기서 들은 몇 가지 이야기가 제 생각과 잘 들어 맞는 것을 느꼈습니다.

I started off -- I came directly here from the deep, deep tropical rainforest in Ecuador, where I was out -- you could only get there by a plane -- with indigenous people with paint on their faces and parrot feathers on their headdresses.

시작하자면, 저는 아주 깊고, 깊은 에쿠아도르의 열대 우림지역에서 왔습니다. 제가 있었던 곳은, 아마 여러분은 비행기로나 지나칠 수 있었던, 얼굴에 색을 칠하고 앵무새 깃털로 만든 머리장식을 하고 있는 원주민들이 있는 곳입니다.

Where these people are fighting to try and keep the oil companies, and keep the roads, out of their forests. They're fighting to develop their own way of living within the forest in a world that's clean, a world that isn't contaminated, a world that isn't polluted.

그곳에서 이들은 정유회사와 도로확장으로 숲을 지켜내기 위해 싸우고 있습니다. 그들은 숲에서 자신들의 방식대로의 삶을 유지하기위해 싸우고 있습니다. 깨끗하고, 오염되지 않고 더럽혀지지 않은 세상에서요.

And what was so amazing to me, and what fits right in with what we're all talking about here at TED, is that there, right in the middle of this rainforest, was some solar panels -- the first in that part of Ecuador -- and that was mainly to bring water up by pump so that the women wouldn't have to go down.

무엇보다 놀라운 것은, 그리고 여기 TED에서 우리가 이야기하고 있는 것들과 같은 사실은 그 열대우림지역 한가운데에 에쿠아도르 최초의 태양 전지판이 있다는 사실입니다. 그것은 주로 펌프를 이용해 물을 끌어올려 여자들이 밑으로 내려가지 않아도 되도록 하기위한 것입니다.

The water was cleaned, but because they got a lot of batteries, they were able to store a lot of electricity. So every house -- and there were, I think, eight houses in this little community -- could have light for, I think it was about half an hour each evening.

물 문제는 해결되었고, 그래도 여전히 많은 배터리가 있어 많은 전력을 저장할 수 있었습니다. 그래서 모든 가구들이 - 제 생각에 이 조그마한 지역내에 8가구 정도가 있는데 - 전기불을 밝힐 수 있었습니다. 매일 저녁 30분 정도가량 되었던 것으로 기억합니다.

And there is the Chief, in all his regal finery, with a laptop computer. (Laughter) And this man, he has been outside, but he's gone back,

이곳에는 제법 왕같은 복장을 한 추장이 있었는데, 랩탑을 가지고 있더군요. 이 사람은 외부에서 지내다, 다시 이곳으로 돌아왔습니다.

And we're using -- you can see that I'm not really into this kind of stuff -- but we're using satellite imagery to look at the deforestation in the area.

아시다시피 저는 이런 분야에 전혀 문외한입니다만, 우리는 또 위성사진을 사용하고 있습니다. 이것으로 산림남벌에 대해서 살펴볼 수 있습니다.

And of course, there's developments in infrared, so you can watch animals at night, and equipment for recording by video, and tape recording is getting lighter and better.

물론 적외선 기술을 이용해서 밤에 동물들을 관찰할 수 있습니다. 그리고, 비디오 녹화 기기들과 음성 녹음기기들이 점점 가벼워지고 좋아지고 있죠.

So in many, many ways, we can do things today that we couldn't do when I began in 1960.

정말 다양한 방식으로, 오늘날 우리는 많은 일을 할 수 있습니다. 1960년에는 못했던 일들을 말이죠.

Especially when chimpanzees, and other animals with large brains, are studied in captivity, modern technology is helping us to search for the upper levels of cognition in some of these non-human animals.

특히 침팬치나, 뇌의 용량이 큰 다른 동물들을 가둬두고 연구할 경우에 현대 기술은 이런 일부 동물들의 의식의 상위단계를 연구하는데 많은 도움을 주고 있습니다.

So that we know today, they're capable of performances that would have been thought absolutely impossible by science when I began.

우리가 오늘날 알고 있는 것은, 제가 시작할 때만도 과학적으로 완전히 불가능하다고 생각되어지는 것들이 가능하게 되어 얻게 된거죠.

I think the chimpanzee in captivity who is the most skilled in intellectual performance is one called Ai in Japan -- her name means love -- and she has a wonderfully sensitive partner working with her.

제가 알기로는 사육중인 침팬치들 가운데 가장 훈련이 잘되고, 가장 지적 능력이 뛰어난 것은 일본에 있는 알리입니다. 그녀의 이름은 사랑이라는 뜻입니다. 그녀는 함께 일하기에 놀라울 정도로 감각적인 파트너입니다.

She loves her computer -- she'll leave her big group, and her running water, and her trees and everything. And she'll come in to sit at this computer -- it's like a video game for a kid, she's hooked.

너무 컴퓨터를 사랑해서 동료들이나, 흐르는 물이며, 그녀의 나무들 그밖에 모든 것을 내버려두고 컴퓨터 앞에 앉으려고 올겁니다. 그녀가 좋아하는 것은 아동용 비디오 게임같은 것입니다.

She's 28, by the way, and she does things with her computer screen and a touch pad that she can do faster than most humans. 

지금 28살인데, 컴퓨터 모니터와 터치패드를 가지고 대부분의 사람들보다 더 빨리 해낼 수 있습니다.

She does very complex tasks, and I haven't got time to go into them, but the amazing thing about this female is she doesn't like making mistakes.

아주 복잡한 작업도 해내는데, 제가 조사해 보지는 않았지만, 정말 놀라운 사실은 이 암컷이 실수 하는 것을 정말 싫어한다는 겁니다.

If she has a bad run, and her score isn't good, she'll come and reach up and tap on the glass -- because she can't see the experimenter -- which is asking to have another go.

만약 잘못해서 점수가 좋지 않으면, 쫓아와서 유리를 두드립니다. 왜나면 실험자를 볼 수 없기 때문에 이런 식으로 다시하게 해달라고 요청하는 거죠.

And her concentration -- she's already concentrated hard for 20 minutes or so, and now she wants to do it all over again, just for the satisfaction of having done it better. 

그녀는 이미 20분이 넘도록 집중했음에도 불구하고 단지 그 게임을 더 잘해서 스스로 만족감을 얻고 싶어서 여러번 반복해서 하고 싶어합니다

And the food is not important -- she does get a tiny reward, like one raisin for a correct response -- but she will do it for nothing, if you tell her beforehand.

. 음식은 중요한게 아닙니다. 정말 작은 상을 받았거든요. 정답 하나에 건포도 하나 정도에 불과하는 아마 미리 이야기를 했다면, 아무것을 안줘도 했을겁니다.

List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수 날짜
24 명연설 트럼프 국회연설 2017.11.08 [1] chanyi 601354 2017-11-10
23 명연설 스티븐 스필버그(Steven Spielberg) 하버드대 졸업식 연설(2016) chanyi 601128 2017-10-16
22 명연설 F.D. 루즈벨트 대통령 '네 가지 자유' 연설[The Four Freedoms] file [2] chanyi 1646 2013-09-29
21 명연설 The full transcript from President Obama’s acceptance speech file chanyi 3234 2012-11-10
20 명연설 2012 오바마 한국외대 연설 file chanyi 3222 2012-03-29
19 명연설 President Obama: Memorial in Arizona file [2] chanyi 2523 2011-01-16
» 명연설 What separates us from the apes? file chanyi 1156 2011-01-08
17 명연설 'A More Perfect Union' (오바마 필라델피아 연설) file [1] chanyi 2700 2010-12-30
16 명연설 마틴 루터 킹 목사의 연설문(Martin Luther King, Jr) file [2] chanyi 10717 2010-10-07
15 명연설 Hilary Clinton-의료보험관련 연설 file [1] chanyi 1951 2010-09-07
14 명연설 Oprah Speaks to the Stanford Class of 2008 file chanyi 2840 2009-03-18
13 명연설 Farewell Address to Congress - Douglas MacArther(해설, mp3) file chanyi 4444 2009-03-17
12 명연설 Blood, Toll, and Sweat - Winston Churhill(mp3,해석) file chanyi 3532 2009-03-17
11 명연설 스티브 잡스 - 스탠포드대연설 mp3 file chanyi 9061 2009-02-08
10 명연설 힐러리 클린턴 연설-여성인권선언 file chanyi 11037 2009-02-07
9 명연설 Life is(Coke회장의 신년사 - 감동적인글) file [1] chanyi 2953 2009-02-04
8 명연설 프랭클린 D. 루스벨트 -Pearl Harbor Address to the Nation(mp3) file chanyi 3080 2009-02-03
7 명연설 링컨 게티스버그연설문의 해석과 해설 file [1] chanyi 16853 2009-01-27
6 명연설 케네디 취임사(John F. Kennedy) file chanyi 3683 2009-01-27
5 명연설 빌 클린턴 취임사(Bill Clinton -2nd) file chanyi 4862 2009-01-26
본 사이트에서는 회원분들의 게시된 이메일 주소가 무단으로 수집되는 것을 거부합니다. 게시된 정보 및 게시물의 저작권과 기타 법적 책임은 자료제공자에게 있습니다. 이메일:chanyi@hanmail.net Copyright © 2001 - 2022 EnjoyEnglish.co.kr. All Right Reserved.
커뮤니티학생의방교사의 방일반영어진로와 진학영어회화